Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
JDT

Guess I'll Be Changing Forums

Well, our motorhome sold after just 3 weeks on the market. Really surprised us as we thought it might take a year. Got just about dead center between high and low retail. Just wanted everyone who has helped me the past several years to know how much I appreciate the willingness to provide an answer to even dumb questions.

We have a truck on order and will now get serious about finding a suitable fifth wheel. The older I got the less inclined I was to do all the things required to own a motorhome, especially a diesel pusher. No one around here will work on them so I did all my own maintenance and most of the repairs. We've had 4 fifth wheels in the past so I know what to expect but at least I won't have to crawl under it.

While looking we have found many of the fifth wheels have adopted some things from motorhomes, like auto leveling, which is a must have. Some even have residential fridges and inverters. They can never match the convience of a motorhome going down the road but like I told the wife, once you get there they all become a house on wheels.

Thanks and good luck.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well congrat's on selling your coach that quickly, we're planning on doing the opposite in going from a 5'er to coach, my issue is my DW won;t drive a truck, but at least she will drive the toad so I don't have to take her everywhere she wants and needs to go (shopping) which I do not think of as entertainment.

Congrat's
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck in your purchase of a fiver. Just keep enjoying.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JDT....Good luck....you can still visit?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
JDT, Hate to see you go but happy for you. Will you please tell us where you advertized the unit for sale?
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JDT, Glad to see at least your going to be rving still, Good choice, a 5er with the auto leveling is far better than the hand work. Hard to beat the coach though but if your both happy with the decision then that's all that matters. We enjoyed our fifth wheel when we had it but enjoy the coach a little better, just not the milage. Good luck and safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
just cause your going from coach to 5er, don't mean you have to leave us.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
JDT

Roscoesdad, I had it advertised on rvonline.com and dreamfindersrv.com. I had been negotiating with a person who saw in on rvonline who Thursday said they would take it. However, Tuesday I had stopped in a local dealer who sells fifth wheels and some older used motorhomes to check on a hitch for the new truck. In talking to them I told them we were trying to sell the motorhome. The salesman took my info on it and said if they have anyone looking for something like we have he would call me. He called the next day, brought a couple out who looked at it for an hour or so and agreed to buy it before they left. I stuck to my asking price and got it less a small commission to the dealer for finding the customer. I have to tell the other guy he was a little late.

I had several inquiries from the rvonline ad. If you want to see how we did it go to the site and put 05 Ambassador in the search and it will pull it up. I emphasized the good care we gave it. If you want to see an even better write up go to the dreamfindersrv.com and look for it.

When I priced it I looked to see what the competition was doing and tried to price it a bit lower which happened to be in the middle between NADA high and low retail. We were in a little better situation to be flexible because we owed nothing on the coach. I am very pleased with how we did in the current market.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info, Jim. Glad things are working in your favor.

Larry
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

Sorry to see you go but can understand not wanting to deal with all the maintenance issues with a diesel coach.

Take care and stop by now and then,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
JDT

Just an update that I have to tell. Got the money for the Ambassador yesterday and with some sadness in our hearts watched it disappear down the road. Felt better when I went to our credit union to deposit the money. Today we put a deposit down and ordered an Excel 34' rear kitchen with auto leveler system, disc brakes, stainless appliances, washer/dryer, king size bed and more. Our new GMC 3500 Denali diesel will be in next week.

Now for the best part. When I called the Excel factory (Peterson Industries in Smith Center, Ks) to ask some questions I made a comment about how much we hated to have to go back to the Notcold 1200 and wished we could have a residential fridge like we had in the motorhome. The rep said that it is not listed in the brochure but they had recently installed one in a fifth wheel for a customer and could do it for me. He said they had researched the best fridge to use and now for the best part, it is a Samsung RF197. He said they had learned that Samsung had discontinued this model so they had bought 7 of them for future orders. I told him he had better put my name on one or there would be big trouble. They run them on a 1000 watt MSW inverter dedicated to the fridge only with two 6 volt batteries. The truck will charge the batteries while going down the road.

We are pleased as punch as giving up our new Samsung we installed last September was the hardest part of this whole thing. The cost was about a wash over the cost of upgrading from the standard 8 cf Norcold to the 1200 LRIM. There was a little extra because the Samsung is stainless and the other appliances have to be upgraded to stainless also. Now have to wait till June to get it.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #12

It sounds beautiful!! Many happy years of traveling.
emzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rving is Rving regardless of how you do it. It's a lifestyle the we enjoy. Best wishes on your next purchase and many happy miles and smiles.
Dan