RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Hard starting??

I changed both of my fuel filters a month ago and ever since my mh has had a really hard time starting.... I filled both with transmission fluid just like I have done for years... Sometimes I will have to try 4-5 times before it cranks... Here's the kicker... Sometimes even when it starts and I take off down the road it has no power at all... The turbo won't spool up and you floor it and nothing .. When this happens I can pull over.. Shut it off, restart it and it's fine.. Plenty of power... Any ideas?? Thanks!

blkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

[QUOTE=blkcloud;3222735.. Sometimes I will have to try 4-5 times before it cranks... [/QUOTE]

Got a few questions ; do you mean before the engine fires up , or as you've stated here "cranks "
What engine in your coach ?Cummins ? ISB , ISC other?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

I'm not sure why my signature is not showing up.. As my details are in it.. Sorry, it's a 2000 year model Cummins 8.3 .. I have to turn the switch and crank the motor 4-5 times before it fires and starts..
Old 08-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
I changed both of my fuel filters a month ago and ever since my mh has had a really hard time starting.... I filled both with transmission fluid just like I have done for years... Sometimes I will have to try 4-5 times before it cranks... Here's the kicker... Sometimes even when it starts and I take off down the road it has no power at all... The turbo won't spool up and you floor it and nothing .. When this happens I can pull over.. Shut it off, restart it and it's fine.. Plenty of power... Any ideas?? Thanks!
Please educate me on why you put transmission fluid in your fuel filters. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
Please educate me on why you put transmission fluid in your fuel filters. Thanks.

Me too.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #6

I have always been told it cleans the fuel system. Can't tell you how many years I have been doing it.. But it's been many.. I can't say if it cleans anything or not as I have no way of checking but I know several diesel mechanics that do it..
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Since you are saying this only started after changing the fuel filters. First place I would start is to pull both filters. Look to see if the large outside gasket is damaged or possibly did the old gasket stick and stay in the casting so you are using two. Check to see if you didn't leave one of the center seals off also.

Don't know about transmission oil doing any great cleaning but, when you pre-fill with transmission oil you know you are using clean oil so you are not introducing anything bad into the system. It will burn just as well as the diesel does.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Transmission fluid is an old trick to used to prime fuel filters. When I worked at the dealership we used ATF since we didn't have Diesel available. it is a detergent also. Some old truckers will tell you to put a quart in your fuel tank as it bumps Cetane. I was told by a diesel fuel additive co that it will bump Cetane. the guy laughed when I asked, he told me I didn't look old enough to know that trick.

I agree with Brian, pull the filters and make sure both gaskets are ok, also make sure you didn't cross thread the primary filter, since that side is suction not pressure you will get the scenario you mentioned above.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #9

I know the center seal was left off of the filter that is mounted on the engine.. Since I have had it , I have never used the center seal.. Had a small issue once and was told my setup didn't need the center seal.. This is about the 4 th fuel filter I have had on my mh.. I'll pull them to make sure there is not 2 seals on there. Thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The only expert I would accept a statement like the center seal is not needed would be if I got it from Cummins. I doubt if there was a way to save even one penny that they would include the seal. One other thought, You didn't accidentally get the primary and secondary filters switched? Just something to throw out there for verification.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I had a problem the first question I was asked was if the center seal was torn. I have had the Series 60 Detroit not start with a torn center seal.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I agree, air leak making it lose prime. Either missing seal or seal doubled up. Also had this happen and the shop installed the wrong filter.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #13

I finally got a chance to pull my filter and put the center seal in.. Filter was about two inches low of fuel when I took it off.. Filled it up, screwed it on and she started immediately.. !!! Yaahoo!! I hope this has fixed my problem.. Thanks for the help!!