Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone changed their outside door entry handle?

When I bought my Beaver (Monaco) it did not come with keys for the exterior door latch (TriMark) so being concerned about getting locked out (and anal retentive about having everything working) I purchased a new TriMark lock.

But looking at the installation - it seems the cutout on the inside of the door for servicing the inside latch does not provide any access to the external latch (which is much lower).

It looks like I need to remove all the angle metal around the perimeter of the door that holds the door togher in order to remove the interior door panel to get to that lower latch.

So if anyone has done this before - please post back what I should expect. I don't mind removing one piece of angle metal but I don't want the door falling apart on me either- and I don't want to remove the entire door just to swap in a new latch.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

No door key? Have you tried calling Monaco about getting a door key? NW RV Supply for a new (old) door latch? Man, that's bad no key! I always use the FOB on my keyless entry. We have a separate deadbolt too.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have the separate dead bolt too. I have keys for that. We can lock lower door latch with key FOB of keypad in coach wall. But if the electric opener doesn't work once we remotely lock door, I'm stuck.

So for now we don't lock the bottom. Only lock deadbolt. But mistakes can happen so I really want to get the new latch installed so I have keys.

I did try nwrvsupply - no go. i did not try calling Monaco or BCS. However now that I have a new latch with keys, I just need to know how hard is it to install. It may not be that tough.

If I remove the outer vertical piece of angle support and maybe a lower piece, will the door stay together and let me peel back the inner plastic door panel enough to reach the outer latch mechanism?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #4

Somewhere on Beaver Ambassador Club, I believe, I saw a procedure for adjusting the top and bottom door latch. They had to get into the door, so the procedure was pretty complete. Taking that door apart scares me. There is the smaller access panel that goes around the door latch area, but you probably already have that apart. I'm not much help here, but good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

I've replaced mine, after accessing and working on it a couple of times.
The holes for the rods were worn so badly that it was getting very difficult to get the door open!

As you said, the inside access panel doesn't provide access.

The last time, as I'd been having trouble, had been in there before several times, and wanted to make sure I didn't have to get in there again, I went in far enough to also access the upper and lower latch mechanisms.

As you said, just start unscrewing. I never had to actually remove the inner door panel, just peel it back a bit to reach underneath. It's all really tight in there. There are 4 rods that attach to the handle mechanism with little jesus clips (autoparts stores have the clips if you drop one in the door,a sk me how I know.), the handle, the lock, and the upper and lower latches.
The upper and lower latch rods are adjustable.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the built sheet it give you the key code for the lock
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I phoned the Monaco-Rev parts line and gave them my VIN and they emailed me the Recreational Vehicle Data Card and the original window sticker.
The Recreational Vehicle Data card lists all the equipment on the coach with model numbers and serial numbers. This includes all the keys. I then called Trimark and ordered several original door keys. I also called Southco and ordered a replacement barrel key.

As far as the door lock, I've had the door apart and removed the deadbolt and locking cylinder. It was a job!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
If you have the built sheet it give you the key code for the lock
I have the build Sheet, it mentions the "Keyless Entry Code" (the Essex remote system) but nothing about the mechanical latch keys.

I will try to call Monaco with VIN and see if they can provide anything additional. That would sure be easier than pulling the door apart.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I have the build Sheet, it mentions the "Keyless Entry Code" (the Essex remote system) but nothing about the mechanical latch keys.

I will try to call Monaco with VIN and see if they can provide anything additional. That would sure be easier than pulling the door apart.

Thanks
This link might be helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cant...-174975-2.html

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See if this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adjusting entrance door.pdf (338.6 KB, 73 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have removed the inner trim panel due to the interior trim coming delaminated. It's really a piece of cake. Remove the screws that attach the vertical angle and carefully pull it off being careful not to chip the paint. You will also need to remove the interior window trim. Then you can pull out the interior trim panel baby flexing it a bit. If your interior trim is starting to come unglued then now sa great time to fix that also. I recently posted what I ended up using to adhere this. It was a bit of an adventure to find a product that worked well.

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #12

My 17 yr old changed out mine but it's on a 91 Imperial so I'm sure my info would help, LOL
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #13

The pot metal busted on the handle.
With a drill and a key ring and a carabiner, I created the most unique Monaco door handle in history!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6953.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	189883
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you did [emoji15]
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags