Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone installed the Samsung RF18

Has anyone installed the Samsung RF18 in their coach? Our Amish cooling unit just went out after 3 1/2 years. I guess I cannot recommend them any longer. The RF197 is not available so we are considering the newer RF18. Appreciate any comments and or suggestions.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Dave
We installed the RF18 last month to replace our Dometic. So far so good. Lots of room,ice,and the wife loves it.
We have been on shore power since installation but I don't anticipate any problems running the fridge with the inverter.
The fit and finish on our Beaver was very nice but we did lose a drawer that was below the old unit.Ours was in the driver slide also.

Dan
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Has anyone installed the Samsung RF18 in their coach? Our Amish cooling unit just went out after 3 1/2 years. I guess I cannot recommend them any longer. The RF197 is not available so we are considering the newer RF18. Appreciate any comments and or suggestions.
I know you asked about the RF18 but we installed the 197 almost 2 years ago running on the inverter 100% of the time. When we are on the road I just turn off the ice make to reduce the power load, this is not mine but it looks the same, wife loves it.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Very happy with RF18. Worked Ok with Magnum Modified Sine Wave but decided to replace inverter anyways with a Magnum True Sine, went from 2000 to 2800 watts. Will add 2 coach batteries after I move the two engine batteries into the engine compartment but that is because I also want to replace my Atwood propane for a True Induction cooktop in order to be all-electric. Last step is to remove my 80 pound propane tank and gain a storage compartment. (Have AquaHot for heat).
Ice cream hard as rock, unit is verrrrry quiet and has good energy saving features.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

RF18 in 2000 Dynasty

I installed this one in my 2000 Dynasty a few months ago. I had a Suburban furnace underneath, which I lowered. It was a very tight fit height-wise, and would not have been possible had there been an Atwood furnace underneath. I think your coach has a higher ceiling than mine, so it might be easier for you. The RF18 is taller than the RF197, and uses a bit more energy.

Have run it on inverter a good bit of the time, and almost a month during the trip to Quartzsite this year. No problems. I have a PSW inverter, but I understand no one has had trouble with MSW inverters.

Very satisfied with the switch.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
JAW

Monaco Owners Club
We just completed the installation of the RF18 in our coach. We had considered replacing the Norcold cooling unit with the Amish cooling unit but based on the comments and information on this forum we went with the Samsung. We had 2 drawers below the Norcold which were removed to allow the new reefer to roll into place then I constructed a cabinet above the Samsung. Very satisfied with the installation and I know we will be happy with the additional storage and proper temperature control. While traveling on the road we will operate it off the MSW inverter; if there are any problems doing so, I will install a PSW unit. Go for it and good luck!
towing 2007 Saturn Vue
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

I just finished my Samsung Rf18 install this week, and I am happy how it fits in my Dynasty 40 like a glove, the wife is very happy also.
fredg206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
By removing the doors and brackets, I assumed you can bring the RF18 through the door in lieu of removing the drivers window, is that correct?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #9

Samsung rf18 install

I installed the Samsung rf18 in my coach in January. The fit was perfect although I did have to lower the floor 1/12". I was still able to keep the drawers under the frig. It did fit through the front door once the doors were removed. The delivery men removed the doors carried the refrig in the coach, put the doors back on and set it on the stand I built that leveled the frig with my drawers. I have been running it on my MSW inverter with no problems.
Good luck
Rj 2005 inspire.
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Another happy RF18 installed here. Still running off the factory installed ME 3112 MSW inverter. I will probably upgrade to a PSW in the next couple years, since it is already 8 years old. I have the RF18, the Norcold outdoor fridge, an 80 Qt ARB outdoor freezer, and a 12 bottle wine cooler, all running off the inverter.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Removed the old Norcold yesterday. Relocated the two electrical connections and used a flare plug to cap off the propane line. Awaiting delivery of the new Samsung on Tuesday to install. Did anyone use strapping tape to attach to the rear of the frig so it does not move during travel? I did see a couple of metal brackets on other installs. Where can you purchase these and are they screwed or riveted to the side of the frig? I used metal tape to cover vent holes on outside access panels. Decided to make sure I did not have a leak with the ice maker line before adding some insulation at a later date.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #12

I assume that our PDQs are twin sons of different mothers. Just installed the Samsung the RF18 this February. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do the complete install and trim out at $85 per hour when I'm free. I had a company in Yuma get the old one out the door and the new one in. Learned a "couple" of things I'll pass along.

The Dometic will go out the door sans its doors minus the passenger seat and hand rail. The scissor opener/stop on the MH door will have to be taken loose on one end. This will leave you very minimal clearance to get the piece of crap out the door. We're talking less than a half inch on each side. The Samsun will have to shed its doors and freezer door to come home. Again clearance is minimal. Two husky Hispanic guys were able to do it. Glad it wasn't me and some of my geezer friends.

I used the blue foam board to insulate the sides and back of the existing frig cabinet. I blocked off the bottom access vent completely. I left a little breathing room on the top vent with a muffin fan on the top vent that turns on at 149 degrees. I used the existing 12v line from the Dometic. This fan may not be necessary. I'll evaluate this in hot weather as there is some breathing space at the top of the Samsung for air flow.

Because the frig is in the slide that rides up and over the floor I did have a couple of learning experiences. Level and flush are not going to work as the frig has to rock and roll and is come in and out.

First mistake was bolting the Samsung down tight to the slide floor at the back of the unit. This caused the slide to shudder as it went out over the hump. Had to back off on the lag screws to give room for the frig to rock.

Don't get wacky over how the Samsung looks in relation to the existing cabinet opening either when open or closed. Top is leaning way in when the slide is closed and slightly leaning in when the slide is out. Thought I was loosing my mind until I looked at some new units with residential refrigerators. The Dometic was on a shelf built into the slide not riding the floor of the slide.

You will have to figure out you method of keeping the freezer and frig door shut during flight. Many different ways to do it.

As for winterizing the ice maker, I went on chat with Samsung. They said to disconnect the water line and let it dangle below the level of the solenoid and let the icemaker cycle over a few hours. I did that by letting the line dangle out the lower access cover on the outside. I verified that this method works by removing the solenoid and checking it. There was no water present.

I have ice cubes to spare and hard ice cream. The cool down time is sooooo much faster.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I assume that our PDQs are twin sons of different mothers. Just installed the Samsung the RF18 this February. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do the complete install and trim out at $85 per hour when I'm free.
Normally, I'm with you on this. I prefer to do all the mods myself. Especially if it means loading up and driving to a shop and dropping off the RV, for who knows how long. However, in this case, it may have been the best $600 I ever spent. It included some cabinet mods and sealing the outside vents. All I had to do was have a local Home Depot deliver the fridge to my dealer, 250 mi away. It was part of my purchase negotiations.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install