RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Has anyone on here replaced a side radiator themselves?

The oil cooler wasn't a big deal, but I'm trying to figure out what is going on with the radiator. The fins are very brittle and fragile. I do note that it is NOT an aluminum rad, rather the tanks seem to be steel as they are magnetic and rusting.

In any case, wondering if there are any threads on doing the rad yourself.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

Good afternoon Paul; Yes, have read posts here in the past about some Monaco owners replacing their own side radiator themselves. Don't remember reading any Beaver coaches with owners replacing themselves, but as we know should be very close to the same. If I remember correctly the biggest problem was getting the coach high enough to drop the radiator out the bottom. Still this was a while ago and not remembering all the details. Try putting a search in at the top right of this page and see if something comes up. From what I remember, not impossible but also not a lot of fun. I know you save big bucks on labor. Hope you find some info!

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

We have 05 Monaco Signatures I had the radiator & CAC replaced 2 years ago at Cummins Coach Care. It has to come out the bottom, not having anyway to lift the coach I paid BIG $ to have them do it. That did a terrible job replacing it!
The radiator fins that are at the bottom of the radiator set in a tray like frame. When you clean the radiator, all the crude set in the tray and start rotting the fins.
The tanks are steel & radiator was copper. A radiator repair shop quoted me $900. / $1200. to repair it with no guarantee! I replace with new ones. The aluminum CAV had a crack in it also, they would repair it for $600. no guarantee.
A little over 4 weeks later I let the shop with new CAC & radiator, pocket book much little

C&SL
05 Sig.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #4

Interesting. Out the bottom may require digging a trench, but I can do that (parked on gravel).

Hope to put it off for a few months, but I think it is in my future. BTW $900 for a rebuild is cheap compared to $5,000 for a replacement. I was looking at re-coring the rad in F100 when I upped the engine displacement - quote for a triple core was around $400.

BTW the Beaver is really a Monaco by 2006 - built on an S-Series chassis.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Interesting. Out the bottom may require digging a trench, but I can do that (parked on gravel).

Hope to put it off for a few months, but I think it is in my future. BTW $900 for a rebuild is cheap compared to $5,000 for a replacement. I was looking at re-coring the rad in F100 when I upped the engine displacement - quote for a triple core was around $400.

BTW the Beaver is really a Monaco by 2006 - built on an S-Series chassis.

Yes the price was not bad, no warranty that it would last out the door & the labor for two replacement + a new radiator, did not want to chance it.

C&SL
05Sig.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bags up to max, block it there and you have room to drop it out the bottom. Lots of wrenching (time), heavy, used a small chain drive come along to hold the fan assembly up and easy re-position for re-install. Replaced with a C&G all aluminum, heavy duty, perfect fit. Friend's coach...didn't want to see her get hit for $$$$
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club

I didnít , back wouldnít have let me . I had a local shop put in 4 years ago, 7 grand , done by a shop with a coach lift. Took 3 big guys to put it in ( bottom ) but I went with a new heavier steel and copper. Have friends handy to help !! The original was aluminum and failed . I didnít trust the aluminum and neither did the guys I talked to , at a couple shops that used to work for Monaco
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, if your 2006 is like my 2005, the side body panel opens providing a lot of access to the Rad and CAC.

I have not pulled mine, but it looks like it could be done without needing to jack up the coach. The short frame piece across the bottom is bolted in, so removing it should give plenty of access to tilt out the radiator.

I can provide a more detailed look at this if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	253175  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Bags up to max, block it there and you have room to drop it out the bottom. Lots of wrenching (time), heavy, used a small chain drive come along to hold the fan assembly up and easy re-position for re-install. Replaced with a C&G all aluminum, heavy duty, perfect fit. Friend's coach...didn't want to see her get hit for $$$$
And if bags up to max is not enough make some pads from lumber and back the coach up onto the pads to raise it even further.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Paul, if your 2006 is like my 2005, the side body panel opens providing a lot of access to the Rad and CAC.

I have not pulled mine, but it looks like it could be done without needing to jack up the coach. The short frame piece across the bottom is bolted in, so removing it should give plenty of access to tilt out the radiator.

I can provide a more detailed look at this if it helps.
Mine is a little different (typical Monaco - snowflake manufacturing) - and of course the phone and computer flip the image upside down:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad opening.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	253251  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Mine is a little different (typical Monaco - snowflake manufacturing) - and of course the phone and computer flip the image upside down:
Yup that is made the same way my 05 Sig is made.

C&SL
05 Sig
Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #12

CountryB - is yours hinged? Mine had 6 bolts into holes with an insert on the bottom, and square headed screws holding in the upper section. I was surprised at the square headed screws as they are common here in Canada (called a Robertson) but not in the US.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes mine is hinged with a single bolt at each bottom corner.

My 2005 is on a Roadmaster M-series chassis, and your 2006 is on the "better" S-series chassis, so its not surprising that there are some differences.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #14

Not sold on the "better" bit.

Tags
ace, ems, radiator, replace