Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Haul a toad or rent a car

Here's a subject I don't recall ever seeing here before.

We've been motorhoming for probably over 45 years. You'd think that after all that time i'd have the answer to this but.....

Am trying to figure out if I'm better off ( cost wise ) to have a toad OR continue renting a car when we go somewhere for 4 or 5 days or more. I know what the rental costs are but am trying to figure out if by taking a car along, would I save any $$$, considering the increased fuel consumption, cost of the toad and towing equipment ( trailer or tow bar, etc ), increased insurance cost, etc.

I know about the convenience factor of having my own vehicle along and have seen some of the drawbacks watching some fellow RV'ers pulling into fuel stations, restaurant parking lots, campground spaces, etc.

Has anyone ever done any comparison analysis on this subject ??
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

I very seldom pull anything // just too concerned about panic stopping distance == easy to rent a car.
rockymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

I've seen this topic discussed ad nauseum; no correct answer for everyone. Car rental prices vary so widely depending on location you can't really factor in savings one way or the other. For us, the independence factor of having your own alternate transportation far outweighs any benefits of renting a car.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I tow 98% of the time. No rental cars much less 4x4 most places I go or near by. If the tow is setup correctly a panic stop is no problem. Rented in Hawaii lat week a 4x4 $600 for the week. That will bye a lot of gas. But to each their own, if you already have a a towable it makes sense, if not and you must purchase maybe not. If you go to a RV resort and sit maybe not, but if you investigate all around you a tow maybe cheaper than rentals.

LEN
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

We rented for few trips in the beginning. The convience of our own car made it a no brainer for us. Plus we have a dog so rental car places were less than thrilled with the hair he left behind.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Haul a toad or rent a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyms View Post
Here's a subject I don't recall ever seeing.............

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tow+...earch=irv2.com
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyms View Post
Here's a subject I don't recall ever seeing here before.

We've been motorhoming for probably over 45 years. You'd think that after all that time i'd have the answer to this but.....

Am trying to figure out if I'm better off ( cost wise ) to have a toad OR continue renting a car when we go somewhere for 4 or 5 days or more. I know what the rental costs are but am trying to figure out if by taking a car along, would I save any $$$, considering the increased fuel consumption, cost of the toad and towing equipment ( trailer or tow bar, etc ), increased insurance cost, etc.

I know about the convenience factor of having my own vehicle along and have seen some of the drawbacks watching some fellow RV'ers pulling into fuel stations, restaurant parking lots, campground spaces, etc.

Being motorcycle people in our younger years, we have chosen not to tow a car but carry a "motorscooter" which could run the freeways (short distances, of course) if need be and carry two people. We will still rent a car from time to time but "the wart" will be our primary transportation once we arrive at our destination. Much cheaper than a toad and all that goes with it.
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have done both. I usually use a toad. However, I just lost my toad in my divorce. So I just got back from a 5 week trip. Rented from Enterprise. along the way. I spent about $800 on rentals.
That's a years insurance premium. But I don't have another car to worry about. I usually travel 4 to 5 months a year. For me it's cheaper to get another toad.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wouldn't be without a towed! When the late DW was alive we sometimes went for a weekend and the towed was never used, other times we went to lunch or dinner. My last time out I broke the coffee carafe and drove about 20 miles to a city that had stores large enough to have one. Convenience outweighs cost for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
To each his own... but as Mr_D says, it's SO convenient to have your own toad...

in case of MH breakdown, how you going to get a rental in the boonies?
a toad will not even be noticed in your mpg,
MY toad HELPS with the braking, more tires = more tire surfaces braking,
Setting up your toad and supplemental braking is a one time expense,
no comparison to the fun we have in the jeep versus a lil 4 banger sedan,
it expands your storage capacity like a mini-trailer...

but most of all - it looks like you are ready for fun and looks cool
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
To each his own...but as Mr_D says, it's SO convenient to have your own toad...

in case of MH breakdown, how you going to get a rental in the boonies?
a toad will not even be noticed in your mpg,
MY toad HELPS with the braking, more tires = more tire surfaces braking,
Setting up your toad and supplemental braking is a one time expense,
no comparison to the fun we have in the jeep versus a lil 4 banger sedan,
it expands your storage capacity like a mini-trailer...

but most of all - it looks like you are ready for fun and looks cool
X3

I bought a clean clean 4x4 TrailBlazer for cheap cheap cheap added a 2inch lift, some skid plates and a little larger 10 ply tires.

The wifey and I love back road and side road adventures such as mining trails and the likes and we dont worry about minor damage and scratches. we treat it like ugly a red headed step child and also as you describe it's like a mini trailer, we load it to the hilt when we hit the road and also have a "Brake Buddy" for supplemental braking.

Can I afford a new 4x4 to go behind my rig? sure.. but IMO why waste $45-65k ....just to be freaked out every time a rock from your coach hits it while being towed ....or afraid to make that turn on to that adventuresome two track that leads to someplace.......someplace that you will never know because you don't want to scratch your new shiney shiney whatever.

Every case is different Im sure .......but that is our deal......at least for now

When setup properly it takes only 5 min to plug & play.....and have you own rig with you. I have yet to be in a situation that I can say that it was inconvenient and a hassle to have my toad with me.

Happy Trails
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #12

I think you have to add UBER to the mix as well. I don't tow but use UBER instead. I know some places it may not make sense but for cities it is a great option. Plus I can have a glass of wine with dinner and not worry about getting a DUI. ( I don't drink and drive)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #13

What will be our toad when we get our MH is long paid for . . . Can buy a LOT of fuel for what it would cost to replace.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have debated this over the years and 2 motorhomes. We choose the toad. Although we sometimes don't take it, if a close short trip, but the ease of towing, the convenience, safety in having a toad in case of breakdown, and the cost through the years of renting, Uber, etc...
As an example, recently with trips on the Ca coast in Big Sur as well as the Or coast, getting a rental car would be next to impossible, let alone the inconvenience and time wasted back and forth to the rental shop. In the end, it is a personal decision you make and what works best for you. That's what the rv'ing lifestyle gives us...individual options!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad