Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Have You Switched to a Residential Refrigerator?

There are quite a few threads of late from Monaco folks who have replaced their NotCold or DamnMetic refrigerator with a residential version (Whirlpool, Samsung, etc), but I’d suspect there are many more out there that have done the same and not written about it.

I’m sure I missed a few, but offhand I can think of the following who have posted (in no order):

Nodine
PusherPilot
HD4Mark
RustyTools
Bborc
RickT
Wiscjc
Cjensen91910
Lekhuset
JDT
DtBt
WilliamWillard
Coma
Azstork

I think it would be very interesting to get a feel to see just how many have made the switch. If you’ve done-so, how about chiming-in for a quick count…
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can add us to the list. We made the swap with a Samsung and we are very happy. Taking the old Dometic out wasn't pretty but there are no nicks or scratches.

The coach in the foreground belongs to Dave and Kathy (TWOCHIEFSRUS) who gave us help on the Dometic extraction, Thank you.
The carnage in picture below.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mike -- I sold our 1402 Dometic on Craigs List for $ 1050.00 -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

I don't think Mike could get that much for his.
He may have a few parts left that will sell on eBay.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We haven't changed it out yet but we plan on doing it soon. We are going to use Elite RV in Eugene to do the work.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #6

Samsung, year ago. All is great
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #7

changed our 1200 notsocold to a 15.6 cu.ft. americana, (GE) we paid $350 bucks for it. found a local rv dealer that traded the labor to remove 1200 for the old unit. dw and i installed the new one and even was able to go through front door. not the fanciest unit but neither was the notsocold. ice cream is froze and the beer is cold! jimsue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	091.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	15207  
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #8

We switched out the 1200 four door almost cold unit to a Whirlpool sid by side with water and ice in the door. We did it about a year ago. What a difference. We will NEVER have a gas type again. Our coach is an all electric type with lots of AGM batteries and two inverters. Why it came with a gas type that had to be run on 120 volts, I have no idea. But its corrected now. Our coach will run for about 2 days on battery alone, as long as we are not using the TV and electronics all day.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #9

My Signature came with a Whirlpool from Manaco so I have eight house batteries. I have never run my batteries down and can go for two days without having to charge them. The biggest problem I had was that Monaco left the frig roof vent open and the side vent open behind the frig so while driving down the road in 100+* weather hot air come pouring in to the MH from under the frig and my AC units could not keep up with it. I have blocked off both vents and now have no more problems. A residential frig does not require that type of ventilation. If I am dry camping I do turn the temps up higher in the frig to make the batteries last longer.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #10

Our Dynasty has a Jenn aire( same as whirlpool) that was factory installed. I almost did not buy that unit as I was scared it would be problematic. I was sure wrong. I will never have another unit with a propane firebomb. I was at Monaco last month and I think over half of the DP's had residential fridges installed. Tiffin, American and others also install mostly residential units. BTW: When Elite does an install they do it through the side window. Taking out the windshield can be risky. Through the door often requires you to remove the copilot seat and there is the risk of damaging the dash. Nutensteve is wise in choosing Elite to do the work. Hi Steve!!

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #11

I only have 1 furnace and it is under the cabinet where the fridge sets. I did not want to give up my only furnace so I could not install any of these side by side fridges. I installed a Americana from Home Depot and it works great. It gets cold in about an hour and has a lot more useable space than the 1200LRIM I removed. George R. 2001 Diplomat
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just finished puting in the samsung today. Turned it on and it went from 67 to 38 degrees in two hours. The wife says she loves it already.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #13

Heartland RV Club
I guess you can add me to the list in a round about way ,I traded up to a 2011 Winnie Journey with a residential fridge. I have had the coach for 10 months with no melted ice creme .I keep the invert er on all the time
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
We replaced our Norcold 1200 with a Samsung 217 and LOVE IT. I do have a question for anyone out there with residential refers . . . we keep our Country Coach plugged in, and as far as I can tell, there is no "off" switch for the frig! There's no need to keep it on when we're off the road for a few weeks or a month at a time, but the only solution I can find is to turn the temps way up . . . any better ideas?!

Tags
refrigerator