Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
JDT

I know I have seen this here before but I can't find it so I'll humbly ask again.

I have an 05 Ambassador with separate high and low beams. I'm thinking about getting Sylvania Silverstars. Does anyone know which bulbs I need? Couldn't find it in my manual either.

Jim
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I did a search on "Silverstar" using the "Find" button just above...
I hope you can use the information in those threads...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JDT.....Pull a high and low beam out and check the numbers. It's raining right now so I can't check my old ones, but I think they may be 9005 and 9006.

I put a HIGH beam Silverstar in both the low and high beam positions. The difference between the two is how they are fit in the holder. If you look at the end of the high beam and low beam, you'll see the difference between the two and why they are not interchangeable. I believe it's two tabs that make the difference. You can cut the tabs out with a razor and the high beam will fit in the low beam socket.

Advantage: One, the high beam bulbs are 10 watts brighter. Two, the low beams have a coating over the tip of the bulb that prevents them from blinding oncoming traffic. If you look at your low beam lens, it also has a metal orb that does the same thing. The low beam bulbs duplicate the effort and you lose brightness.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
JDT,
I installed the "HIR" bulbs in my unit and to my eye look brighter than stock by a good bit. I originally wanted to go to silverstars, but after some research (some on IRV2) I decided to go with the HIR bulbs and am happy I did. You should do the research and come to your own conclusions....
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #5

Hey Ron

You just can't leave well alone, can you????
I haven't touched the headlights yet only because the ones I have now are hands down 10x better than my old Coachmen gasser..I can drive at night if I have to with this one where I really could not with the gasser. (I prefer not to drive at night with the toad off the rear.)
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I did the wiring/relay upgrade on my 02 endeavor and it made a huge difference.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #7

Question High Beam - Low Beam

When I use my high beam all lights go out use low beam have lights...any suggestion what tis could be.
WeBeCamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvectra View Post
I did the wiring/relay upgrade on my 02 endeavor and it made a huge difference.

This is an upgrade for BMW motorcycles as well....it seems the engineers designed the system and the bean counters downgraded the wire gauge to keep things on the up and up.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Jim -
From the picture on the HR website, it appears you have the same small circular lights that I have on my 06 Ambassador. The bulbs in mine are: Headlight Main and Headlight High Beam both Osram H 9 (12v 65w) and Fog light bulbs are H 1.
I bought mine used, so I cannot say if these are original or if the previous owner changed them out - There was no bulb information in my owners manual.
Hope this helps!!
azstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I first replaced the standard 9005 and 9006 with silverstars. They were a little brighter but the big plus was how white the light was compared to standard bulbs. Not leaving well enough alone I redid the wiring which helped quite a bit. I heard about the HIR bulbs and replaced the Silverstars with HIR 9011 and 9012. Made a huge difference. Monaco used a Lincoln headlight assembly which was engineered for a car not a MH. The headlights are installed much higher on a MH and don't do a good job of filling in the area directly in front of the MH. I have always compensated by running with the fog lights on. The HIR's really help but they are not cheap. I think I spent about $110.

Maybe the best bang for the buck would be to do what Diplomat Don did and install Silverstar or GE Nighthawks high beam (9005) bulbs for both low and high beams and them install Hella driving (not fog) lights to fill in the low area in front of the MH.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote