Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
On my Camelot, I have a switch labeled 'FOG LIGHT' on the main panel, and just to the right of the dash gauges themselves. But, since Monaco was famous for changing things willy-nilly between quasi-identical coaches of even the same model, no telling where or how they set up your Windsor switch .

I think 'rubber-tramp' was saying that it's very unusual to have headlights on a fuse rather than a circuit breaker. As I understand it, a CB will keep trying to reset and maybe provide some light - rather than a total loss of light.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Is the dash switch labeled "fog lights" ?
Joe if your Windsor is like mine, my fog lights are labeled driving lights. It's the first rocker switch on the dash, left side of steering wheel. Mine only works when the key is on unlike the headlights.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #45

FYI mine is mounted here Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH cockpit switches 3.0.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	272487

Happy Trails
Old 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
Joe do your headlights go on when you turn on your windshield wipers?
I had no headlights 2 years ago. Main 25 amp vuse was good and power to/from the fuse. Traced the headlight wire out of the fuse compartment into the generator compartment. It took a u-turn back into the fuse box to a waterproof plug screwed to the base of the fuse box. Took the plug apart and low and behold there was a 15 amp fuse in it. The fuse had blown replaced and had headlights. Recently I had no headlights with the main switch again. Had lights when wiper turned on so thinking it can't be a ground issue. Went to that mystery fuse and it was fried. Completely melted! Replaced fuse and still no lights and fuse didn't blow again either. Replaced the main switch and have lights again.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #47

Good evening Joe; Just got off the Visone RV Salvage web site and found a picture of a 2002 Windsor like yours. The Driving Lights switch is just below the headlight switch and it is the one all the way to your left. I checked on a 03 Windsor dash and the switch is the same place only marked Fog Lights. Those covers for the rocker switch's can be changed so one can be marked on the switch, Driving LTS or Fog Lights. I know they can be wired differently on these coaches. On my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor you could turn on the Fog/Driving lights when you had the ing. switch in the on position. You did not need the headlights turned on. When the headlights were on and you switched to high beams and had the Fog/Driving lights on, the Fog/Driving lights would go off.

On my 01 Windsor the Fog/Driving lights will only come on with the headlights on and with hi beam selected. I called Monaco tech. in Oregon back in the days when you could talk to a tech. and he said that was the correct wiring and my 2000 Windsor must have had someone rewire the Fog/Driving lights. I told him that was nuts as mostly all vehicles with Fog/Driving lights are wired so when the Fog/Driving lights are on and hi beam is selected the Fog/Driving lights go out. Every vehicle I have owned works like the following. I still have not found the relay for the Fog/ Driving lights on my 01 Windsor so I can change this. Sorry for the long post. Just a lot of FYI. Let us know if that is where your Fog/Driving light switch is where I saw it on the web. You can go to the Visone web site and look under, Monaco Body panels. You can scroll through all the motorhomes until you find the 02 Windsor like yours and there is a picture of the left side of the dash panel. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #48

Sounds like a your grounds could be the problem. Bad ground.... no lights.

You can simply add a ground if it isn't good by putting in a new wire from your headlights to the frame or other grounding metal.

Christopher Jacobs of Jacobs electronics says in his book " optimizing your ignition" that 90% if electrical problems auto related are bad grounds.

Richard
rgnorman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Is the dash switch labeled "fog lights" ?
Joe,

Here's my fog lights. It's to the left of the steering wheel but on the dash, not the arm rest side. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	272498
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #50

Headlight Problem

Somewhere between the switches and the headlights, there is a headlight relay. They do fail.
Jim Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
if you need to flip the signal sw. up in order to change the hi/low beams,more likely you have a relay.
i assume it will be in the outside bay under the driver. i advise to turn the h. lites on and wiggle the relays one at a time and watch if the h. lites come on for a second. if they do, most likely the feed wire and terminal to the relay are burnt. (you also can feel which relay is hotter and smells burnt) that with the assumption that you checked verified "no power" condition to the h. lites. (you have to find good grd. for proper test) if the hi beams do work, most likely the h. lites are burnt.
joe p
ex 05 windsor
orit1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they were on and then off time after time could be a bad ground
grrr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #53

Quote:
There is a main 25A fuse but it's good! I've checked every fuse I could find that I thought might somehow be connected to the headlights!
Just going to throw this out there. I have not worked on a modern vehicle with a fuse as the only protection for a headlight circuit. I have only seen auto-reset circuit breakers.

The reason for this is simple: if a fuse blows in the headlight circuit the headlights go out until you replace the fuse....end of story. not good going down the road 60+ mph.

If you develop a short in a circuit with a auto-reset circuit breaker the lights will be out until it resets. as soon as it cools the lights come back on until it heats up again...repeat process.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #54

Mine is A 97 Southwind and had the headlights go out, after replacing headlight switch didn't work I replaced the Blinker switch on the steering wheel, that fixed my problem.
mojo404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #55
YC1

Are your headlights on Hi Beam mode? Fog lights may not come on under that situation.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #56
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MYSTERY SOLVED! Thanks to to comments you guys made I figured out how they work.

The dash switch labeled "Driving Lights" turns on the fog lights! They only come one with the headlights on high beam and the engine running! This seems really weird to me, because nobody drives in fog with the headlights on high beam!

My owner's manual talks about the Driving Light switch as setting the low beam headlights to 80% of normal voltage with no mention of fog lights! I assume that this switch turns on both high and low beams at the same time?

I really appreciate all of you for trying to help with this perplexing problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, lights