RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Headlights Staying On

Hi Everyone,

Today, I drove the coach for about 2 hours. I drove with the headlights on, since it was raining. Upon arrival, I turned the headlights off, and shut the engine down. The headlights stayed on and even after trying multiple times, even turning the house+chassis batteries off and then back on, they still stay on. Any ideas?

I was able to locate a connector in the drive-side bay that caused the lights to go off by unplugging it, so they are not on at this time, but a longer-term fix would obviously be preferred.

mecdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm taking a bit of a shot in the dark, but my first thought is the VIP smart wheel. Our 2001 has a manual pull knob for the headlights, however the ICC flasher function for the headlights runs through the smart wheel. I understand sometimes these smart wheels, specifically the headlight circuit can sometimes overload or heat up.

The control box for the smart wheel should be on the right side of the front run box, in the outside compartment below the driver's window. Take a look and see if you notice any melted wires, if my memory serves me the headlights are the J12 plug.

Our coach now being in Canada,has a daytime running lights module added to it. Not sure if your coach has this, but also something to maybe check for.

Best of luck.

JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

Here is another crazy possibility. On our '06 Dynasty, when we turn on the wipers, the headlights come on automatically. (Controlled by the Smartwheel module) Safety feature, I guess. Is it possible you shut down without turning off your wipers, first? Any relays should have dropped out with the shutting off of the "ignition", but stranger things have happened to us, with our coach. Maybe try turning the key back on, then maybe turning the wipers on and then off, and the headlights on and then off, and then shutting down. THAT REALLY SHOULDN'T WORK, but you might give it a shot. Again, like I said, similar strange things have happened with our coach.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As JJTL mentioned the Daylight Running Light module can do that. Normally Hamsar unit in the front run bay. Were the tail lights on? If not the DRL may be suspect.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

Does the coach have a lights off delay that the OP confused every time he restarted or messed with the switch?
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

Not sure if its related, but just this week ,maybe few days, I was reading a thread about smart wheel module dieing/problems " like already said above " the work around for over loaded head light circuit going through it was drive a new relay instead "I think". If your digging in there you might want to find the thread and get better info than I remember off hand . I'll keep an eye out for it. The threads I frequent are monaco owners, class A , and MH general.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Here was the post.
Failure of Smart Wheel controller??
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The wiper trick didn't work. I was hopeful that it would since I used the wipers and the headlights at the same time. No such luck.

I think it's the VIP Smart Wheel. We could only get the headlights to turn off by unplugging one of the connectors to it and that connector had wires leading to it that looked like they had experienced some high heat.

I guess I need to decide what route makes the most sense. Maybe replacing the VIP Smart Wheel is going to be the easiest solution.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Does anyone know if the VIP Smart Whee controllerl has been improved upon so that this overheat issue doesn't occur again? It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to replace the current controller with another one that is likely going to fail. My coach only has 57k mi on it. Granted, it is older. Still, I want the next one to last, otherwise I will look at another solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

The wiper trick didn't work. I was hopeful that it would since I used the wipers and the headlights at the same time. No such luck.

I think it's the VIP Smart Wheel. We could only get the headlights to turn off by unplugging one of the connectors to it and that connector had wires leading to it that looked like they had experienced some high heat.

I guess I need to decide what route makes the most sense. Maybe replacing the VIP Smart Wheel is going to be the easiest solution.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
Does anyone know if the VIP Smart Whee controllerl has been improved upon so that this overheat issue doesn't occur again? It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to replace the current controller with another one that is likely going to fail. My coach only has 57k mi on it. Granted, it is older. Still, I want the next one to last, otherwise I will look at another solution.
Here is the link to the VIP Smart Wheel support page: https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support

Our coaches came with the PC series steering wheel, and depending on the year either the SM209 or SM210 control box. These two control boxes as I understand it, are interchangeable with each other.

From what I have read, there was a change in the next generation of smart wheels to have the headlight circuit relay controlled, as oppose to direct. So the best fix for our PC series smart wheels is to add in a relay for the low beams and one for the high beams. These relays are then triggered by the J12 smart wheel circuit. There were some threads I have read where someone has created instructions and wiring diagrams on how to accomplish this relay update.

Here are the related threads, there are PDF attachments of wiring diagrams/instructions of how to add the relays in:

01 Monaco Signature Smart Wheel Problem

Hi/Lo Headlights not working (See Post #4)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTL View Post
Here is the link to the VIP Smart Wheel support page: https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support

Our coaches came with the PC series steering wheel, and depending on the year either the SM209 or SM210 control box. These two control boxes as I understand it, are interchangeable with each other.

From what I have read, there was a change in the next generation of smart wheels to have the headlight circuit relay controlled, as oppose to direct. So the best fix for our PC series smart wheels is to add in a relay for the low beams and one for the high beams. These relays are then triggered by the J12 smart wheel circuit. There were some threads I have read where someone has created instructions and wiring diagrams on how to accomplish this relay update.

Here are the related threads, there are PDF attachments of wiring diagrams/instructions of how to add the relays in:

01 Monaco Signature Smart Wheel Problem

Hi/Lo Headlights not working (See Post #4)
Just a quick correction to my post above, for some reason I can no longer edit it. It wasn't a change to the VIP steering wheel system, I believe it was a change by Monaco to have the headlights controlled via relays, instead of direct circuits through the VIP control box. Essentially, this is the exact fix which is being suggested in the threads I have attached.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #12

We have the same issue. If the coach is turned off with the wipers still on, the headlights remain on regardless if the headlight switch is on or off. We just start the coach back up, cycle the wipers off, turn the headlights off and all is well.

snowman1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, lights