Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

Headlights staying on issue

I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial, I have been having an issue where my headlights will not turn off unless I turn off the chassis battery switch. I have replaced the headlight switch which did not help. I talked to the tech support at REV Rec. group and they said it could be a headlight breaker in the electric compartment on driver side of coach. I did not find a breaker that could be reset. Also there are two black boxes, one on each side of the clear plastic cover. There are modules in each of the boxes, the REV Parts Department says it could be the one for the headlights. I pulled all of them out one at a time and the headlights still stayed on. Any help on this would surely be appreciated. Here are some pictures that show the electrical compartment. Thanks
allatoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

Good afternoon Allatoona; Not sure if some Monaco coaches had this option, also Holiday Ramblers. Do you know if you have a Daytime Headlight Running Option. For some years, I think Canada had this on much of every type of vehicle on the road. Sometimes called DRL. Daytime Running Lights. This would be a separate module for that control. Can you tell us when the headlights come on! When you turn the chassis disconnect switch to off to get the headlights to turn off, what turns them back on? Just turning the ing. switch to the on position? If not, when ing. switch is on and engine running, taking the parking brake off makes the headlights come on? If not, ing. switch on and engine running, go from N to D, does this make the headlights come on? I think you get the direction I am going. What I have listed is some of the sequences it takes to make DRL operate. I had a DRL module go bad in my 97 jeep wrangler and at first it acted like what yours is doing, but then quit. I think that you may need to isolate what turns the headlights on and go from there. I don't know if this has been any help. Just trying to give you a direction to go. Good luck.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Based on my 2006 HR Ambassador, the headlight system is simple, and if you can find the schematics it should be easy enough to find the problem. Is it just the headlights, or all (tail, marker, and ID lights?)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Do you know if you have a Daytime Headlight Running Option. Sometimes called DRL. Daytime Running Lights.
That module can cause that problem.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #5

The headlights stay on all the time if the chassis engine switch is on. They go off when I turn the engine chassis switch to off. When I turn the engine chassis switch back on the headlights come on at high beam which shows by the lighted up in blue on dash. I see by the manual that it does have DRL, the only thing I see on the fuse box for the DRL is a 25 amp fuse. I do not see a relay or module designated to it.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allatoona View Post
I do not see a relay or module designated to it.
I haven't seen a coach with DRL that didn't have a module. It looks like a big plug in relay.

I have seen that module cause the lights to go on & off randomly when a coach is unattended.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #7

Thanks, still looking for the module, it does not show on the diagram for the fuses or relays. Does it look like any of the on the pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171017_112139_resized.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	180236   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171017_131459_resized_1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	180237  

Name:	20171017_131535_resized_1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	180238  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #8

Good morning Allatoona; Reading you post on finding the DRL module. On my 97 Jeep wrangler, the module measured 2" high by 3" wide. I have an 01 Windsor and my electrical bay look just like yours. I don't see anything that looks like a DRL module. MY coach went to Canada in 03 and had the headlight system converted over to DRL and had a module installed in the electrical bay which I removed when I purchased it back in 15 and brought it back into the U.S. The DRL module that was installed was just about the same size as the one I described for my wrangler. Have you looked in the generator compartment on the firewall. If that module does not show on a set of electrical diagrams, it could be located anywhere. I have one question. You mention in your post that with the chassis disconnect turned on that the headlights come on in the high beam position indicated by the blue icon on the dash. If you pull the turn signal lever back toward you to move the headlights to low beam, do they move to low beam or stay on high beam only. Just trying to figure where DRL module could be wired into. Keep digging! I hope someone here with you coach will respond soon and get you onto a fix for your situation. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

The lights change back and forth from high to low with blinker indicator. I just had it in high so I did not have to go out of the coach to see if they were still on. The Parts Department says this is supposed to be what it is, still have not found it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Part Number 10111652.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	180247  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Ok, I found the H8014B Relay. Now I have another question, how do you know if it is bad? I unplugged the DRL Relay, then I turned the chassis battery switch back on and the headlights still came back on. Could this be the case that the DRL unplugged would work the same as if it is bad and therefore if it was good it would shut the lights off?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #11

Hi Allatoona; Glad you have located that relay. I am guessing the answer to your question would be no. I know in one of your first posts that you pulled a number of relays, maybe not the H8014B, and the lights stayed on. The DRL relay is usually activated by some sequence. Turning on the ing. switch, taking the parking brake off or putting the transmission into gear. If there is a headlight relay, I am going to do some digging in some old schematics that Monaco sent me before all the knowledgeable people left, and see if there is a headlight relay. Your Imperial and my Windsor are very close in design. To me if you pulled the DLR relay out, the headlights should not be on. If the DLR was bad and stuck in the closed position, that would make sense for the problem you are having. WE need a real good electrician here. I will get back on here if I find something to help. This is a good mystery. As I rack my brain out on this, I think someone mentioned that Monaco did not use a relay in the system for the headlights and that put a large amount of amperage through the headlight switch. I suppose this is a late question. Was your headlight replacement switch the correct switch and matched the old one that came out? I am sure if you unplugged the headlight switch, you would have no headlights, parking lights, etc. I am off to digging.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought out of left field here, but maybe it isn't the DRL, maybe it's the actual headlights (DRLs are not high beam). Automatic headlights use a light sensor, usually located somewhere on the dash. Is there something covering the sensor, fooling the system into thinking it's nighttime? A blanket, a dog bed, a magazine...?

Or, since DRL and/or auto headlights SHOULD turn off when your ignition key is turned off, perhaps something in the ignition switch is remaining on when you turn the key to the off position, fooling the system into thinking you're still driving?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allatoona View Post
Ok, I found the H8014B Relay. Now I have another question, how do you know if it is bad? I unplugged the DRL Relay, then I turned the chassis battery switch back on and the headlights still came back on. Could this be the case that the DRL unplugged would work the same as if it is bad and therefore if it was good it would shut the lights off?
If you unplugged the DRL module and the lights still come on, then the DRL is OK. Coaches were made without the module, and as well many owners removed the DRL module because they didn't want the feature.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #14

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help on this. Yes, I replaced the switch with the exact replacement, actually bought it from Monaco Parts a while back when I was having dash light issues with the switch, at least all that stuff is fixed now. Nothing on the dash that would trick the sensor either. I guess it is not the DRL module either. I guess until I get it figured out I can just take the headlight fuse out and not put it back in unless I drive at night. lol

Tags
light, lights