RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Headlite Flash (ICC blink) Wiring Info needed

One of the functions on the left side of my Smartwheel is a 'HEADLAMP FLASH' function, which I've also heard called the 'ICC Blink'. It's used to easily flash/blink the headlites to alert the driver ahead.

Mine doesn't work. I have a lot of drawings, but nothing at all for this circuit.

Q1: Is it more of a Smartwheel function, or simple chassis wiring?

Q2: Can anyone any further info/drawings?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This function is controlled by the VIP Smart Wheel system. Based on the year of your coach I'm going to hazard a guess that you have the V4 Series system. Below is a link to the trouble shoot guide (including drawings) for that system. As well as a link to VIP's technical page in case it is a different system you have. I haven't contacted their support team personally, but I've heard from others that they are quite helpful.

https://www.vipwheels.com/sites/defa...460-I1V-_A.pdf

https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support

Do you have daytime running lights on your coach? Since we have a Canadian coach a DRL module was added to our system, as far as I can tell this has affected my ICC function.

JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, that was quick. Thanks, Josh. I don't know which version I have nor do I know if I have a DRL function. Both good questions, tho.

You've got me wondering maybe I should be getting the headlite switch issue (another thread I just made) resolved before tackling the ICC one, since they may be inter-related.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Look at the connections on the VIP controller (in the front run box) for the plug with 4 wires hidden behind a larger one. 2 of the 4 are probably burnt.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Wow, that was quick. Thanks, Josh. I don't know which version I have nor do I know if I have a DRL function. Both good questions, tho.

You've got me wondering maybe I should be getting the headlite switch issue (another thread I just made) resolved before tackling the ICC one, since they may be inter-related.
Yes, there is a good chance the two issues are related. As Ivylog mentioned, there is a common issue of the headlight circuit being directly controlled by the Smart Wheel control box, as oppose to using relays. This was corrected by Monaco at some point. I thought this was more common on the PC series than the V4, but essentially when the headlight circuit was directly controlled it tended to create too much heat and melt the wires going into the J12 plug (PC Series using control box SM209/210).

To see which system you have, go here https://www.vipwheels.com/technical-support and look for your steering wheel.

As per Ivylog, start by finding the smart wheel control box in the front run compartment, and see if any wires look suspicious.
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

On our '06 Dynasty, the headlight control is very much a function of the Smartwheel controller. The headlight switch itself has a pretty minor role. You might actually be ahead to follow the Smartwheel troubleshooting, first.

I don't know what your earlier problem was, though, so my advice may not be all that great.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ron, make sure someone didn’t plug a relay into the DRL socket. A regular relay will fit, but is different that a DRL relay. On your coach, that socket should be empty. Second row from bottom, on left. Marked DRL to right of socket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	267507

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	267508

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
> Yes, it is a V4 SmartWheel. Thanks for the links.

> No burned wires (whew!)

> No DRL, and the DRL socket is empty.

My other issue started out being no headlights (everything else works), but if I wiggle the switch stalk just right I could get them to come on til the stalk moved again.

Since the headlites and the ICC function are so inter-related, I think I'll hold off doing anything further here until I get the new switch installed. 'Hopefully' that'll be the culprit.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
When you say the wiggle the switch stalk, do you mean the headlamp switch or the HighBeam/LowBeam switch on the steering wheel? I had a problem with the High/Lo Beam switch and had to clean the contacts in it (the column switch) to get my headlights to work.
tmadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Happycarz
Do you know if there is supposed to be a special DRL relay in that slot. Mine is empty also, but was wondering if we put in a DRL relay, would they work? I have same panel as your picture.
Tom
Old 11-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, maybe 'shaft' would have been a better descriptor for the part connected to the headlite switch itself. My bad.

I just took the old switch apart and cleaned everything up, shined the dirty contacts, new dielectric grease, etc. Works fine now, so I have a spare. It looks like it had gotten a lot of use in the past, guess the PO drove a lot at nite.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Probably like me drives with headlights on all the time, day or night
Check your hi/lo beam switch to see that it moves freely though. It might be a problem.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Where's the SmartWheel Control Box?

1) Got the new headlite switch installed, and I now have operational headlites . It works a lot smoother, too. When you turned the knob, the old rheostat part sounded/felt like you're grinding gravel.

2) I have operational hi/lo beam control using the stalk on the side of the steering column. I wasn't sure if that switch was bad or not, because the old headlite switch masked any possible issues with it.
3) I also have control of the rear marker lites, using that particular ICC Blink function on the right side of the Smartwheel (icon is a headlite with several downward-pointing marks).
4) Everything else on the Smartwheel works as it should.

What I still don't have is the ICC Blink for the headlites (left side of the Smartwheel). Researching the troubleshooting info from VIP, looks like next step should be to test the control box before I go much further. It's not in the FRB, behind the dash instruments, or up under the dash proper. So where'd they hide it?
(I hesitate to look in the microwave or behind the commode, but who knows wirh these beasts )
Old 11-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2008 Monaco Safari and I don't think I have a SmartWheel (not sure what it is, though). I do have an ICC switch but it doesn't blink the headlights, just the clearance lights. I have had lots of electrical issues with this coach in the short time we have owned it, including a headlight switch that acts up. What is so nice about this forum is that if you are having an issue someone else has more than likely already been there, done that.

Tags
wiring