Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Headlight Switch Info Needed

I've narrowed down (I hope) an intermittent headlite issue to a bad headlite switch.

Q1: How do I get the little round switch cover off the switch stalk? (hacksaw or torch come to mind).
Q2: I'd like to have the new switch in-hand before I remove the old one, but I'd need the part number first. Can anyone suggest which I need?

It's not all bad tho, I finally learned how to turn on the interior lite directly over the driver... just turn the headlite switch (duh!)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I took mine out, on the body of the switch (under the dash), there was a small button (or pin) that I pressed to release the knob and shaft.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Answering the first part of my own question, getting the knob off, was the easy part. I thought it'd be the toughie. Seems there's a little spring-loaded button on top of the switch that you push in, and then pull the big knob with a mighty yank. The switch then comes out easy.

Now for the hard part. There are NO PART NUMBERS on the switch except for "4406", which I assume is a manufacturing date.

HELP!
Old 11-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

https://youtu.be/YtcuRmTurmo

Here’s a good video to follow for the switch! No torch needed!
theaaronbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

There are several switches that look just like that...just count the number of pins on the switch and make sure it matches. I got mine off of eBay for $15 and cane with a polished aluminum knob!
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, guys. Looks like we were all texting at about the same time.

The video spoiled all the fun - I was going to go with the big bolt-cutters to get out my frustrations.

And seeing the switch he pulled-out, I can start searching for older model GMC switches. Very cool!

Much appreciated help!!
Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Thanks, guys. Looks like we were all texting at about the same time.

The video spoiled all the fun - I was going to go with the big bolt-cutters to get out my frustrations.

And seeing the switch he pulled-out, I can start searching for older model GMC switches. Very cool!

Much appreciated help!!

No problem...like I said earlier, just make sure you get the one with the same pins as yours and you’ll be all set!
Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
AC Delco D1588, or what the parts store crosses that number to.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
3 white wires, numbered 67, 68, & 69 run from under dash up column to the turn signal/hi-lo beam switch. They get crisp!

67 comes from headlight switch.
68 goes to lo beam.
69 goes to hi beam.

Be sure to check low on the column for the crispy connector there. If all good there and 67 is always hot with headlight switch on, check for voltage on 68 and 69 when flicking hi beam switch.

You also have all the turn signal wires running up the column. The three wire bundle may be tape to the big bundle. Maybe not.

Sometimes the wire connection, sometimes the column switch assembly, which can be replaced without removing steering wheel.

Douglas AutoTech 1900008 switch, $92.99 from

MPparts.com

https://mpparts.com/part/douglas-aut...ch-kit-1900008

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome! Got the exact part number now, thanks (again) Harry! And everyone else, too, for your help! I'd zero-ed in on a generic version of same on Amazon, but would feel better with an OEM - even if they probably put the same one in a different box.

In researching last nite, I saw several threads about the wiring being a bit undersized for the current flow. I have time to put in some relays while waiting for the switch. I'll check for toasted wires while in there.

Wait! What? Do I hear the UPS truck already?
Old 11-21-2019, 05:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Awesome! Got the exact part number now, thanks (again) Harry! And everyone else, too, for your help! I'd zero-ed in on a generic version of same on Amazon, but would feel better with an OEM - even if they probably put the same one in a different box.

In researching last nite, I saw several threads about the wiring being a bit undersized for the current flow. I have time to put in some relays while waiting for the switch. I'll check for toasted wires while in there.

Wait! What? Do I hear the UPS truck already?
Revisiting your original post, did the head lights go out for a few seconds then come back on?

Please allow me to pass on a little tip. Before you install the switch into the dash, push the knob and stem into the switch until it locks into position. Pull the knob out so the switch is in the on position then push the knob very slightly back into the switch. Now push the knob release button in and slide the knob /stem assembly back out of the switch. Sometimes these switches are boxed and sent with the switch in the off position. This can make it difficult to get the knob /stem assembly back into the switch and locked firmly into place after the switch is installed.
Lynn
Old 11-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
An excellent tip. Thanks! That could save a lot of aggravation. Sounds like you've been-there-done-that.

No issues with intermittent operation, other than when I wiggle the stalk. If I find the 'sweet spot', they work just fine.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #13

Quote:
An excellent tip. Thanks! That could save a lot of aggravation. Sounds like you've been-there-done-that.

No issues with intermittent operation, other than when I wiggle the stalk. If I find the 'sweet spot', they work just fine.
I would definitely be changing that switch. I'm surprised the switch you have is a switch General Motors hasn't used in vehicles since 1974 according to the NAPA buyer's guide. It was used on different model Buick's, Cadillac's, Chevrolet's, GMC's, Oldsmobile's and Pontiac's as far back as 1960.
Over the years I have replace dozens of these switches if not more. A part of what I did for a living.
Lynn
Old 11-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I did a post-mortem on the switch, and shined the contacts, cleaned it up, re-greased it, and then put it back together. Now I have a spare
I also played with your suggestion on how to re-install the switch. Nice idea, thanks.

Not unusual that they'd find something that's been around forever, and cheap. Similar situation with a lot of the headlite assemblies themselves. I'm guessing the '4406' was the mfgr date, anyways.

Tags
switch, headlight