Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 06:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heads up for Monaco rear radiator ISL coach owners

Posting this just in case we are not the only ones with the problem. As you can see from our signature we have a 2006 Diplomat which is a rear radiator ISL. For the past two years we have been having problems with the engine overheating and are now in the process of correcting the problem. My first inclination was to remove the radiator and inspect and clean but now plan to try replacing the thermostat and coolant and do another extensive radiator cleaning and see if that solves the problem. Of course we will replace all the hoses at the same time. Hoses should be here this week. The reason we came to this conclusions is because we have an oil leak problem behind the fan. Oil leaking from this source is only inches behind the fan and blown onto the radiator by the fan.

The following photos will help to explain where the leak is. The first photo is not of my coach but of DutchStar Dons (formerly Diplomat Don) 2005 Diplomat when he replaced his radiator. The engine oil fill next to the hydraulic fluid tank connects to a cover on the front of the ISL via a 1.5 inch I.D. Marine grade fuel fill hose. On our coach that hose has developed two cracks adjacent to the connection at the engine. The other three photos show the parts I removed and cleaned up. Thought others might like to inspect their coach for the same hose failure.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eng_Comp.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	217757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracks in hose.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	217758  

Name:	Hose part number.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	217759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts taken off.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	541.3 KB
ID:	217760  

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

I am experiencing this exact problem and will inspect this immediately thank you so much for the info.
MonacoMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great tip. I would have never thought of that hose being a problem. I will have to check mine. Is the end of the hose dry and brittle or did it turn to soft mush? Just curious to the condition of the hose to get an idea of it's possible pre-failure state..
Doug.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That engine looks identical to my ISC! The belts, accessory placement (alternator/AC compressor, etc.) the belt routing (how I wish I had that picture when I had to replace my broken belt and could not figure out the routing!)

And a big thanks for the heads up on the oil-fill hose failing. I will check mine when I do my next oil change in a few weeks.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A ISL 8.9L engine is a stroked (piston travels further) ISC 8.3L engine so this problem applies to a bunch of other rigs.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
Great tip. I would have never thought of that hose being a problem. I will have to check mine. Is the end of the hose dry and brittle or did it turn to soft mush? Just curious to the condition of the hose to get an idea of it's possible pre-failure state..
Doug.
Doug,

My take on what caused the problem is the construction of the hose. It is a high grade marine fuel fill hose that is wire reinforced by a spiral of wire that is between the inner and outer layer of the hose. The wire is to keep the hose from collapsing or kinking. We usually see the wire inserted inside the hose and not a part of the construction. The two cracks appear to be at the location of the wire between the two layers of the hose. I am assuming the years of flexing due to engine movement caused the failure. The fill end is attached to the frame of the coach and the other end to the engine. The engine moves slightly on the motor mounts. This hose is quite stiff. I found the original hose on ebay but decided to go a different route. I purchased automotive fuel fill hose at NAPA and reinforced it myself by wrapping 12ga wire around a wood dowel and pushing the wire into the hose. I first tried the hose without reinforcing it but it kinked at the bend were a curve is necessary in the routing.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reinforcing hose.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	217853  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
YC1

This file might help. I had to replace my thermostat long ago. My radiator was and is pristine clean. It just overheated on a tall hill called the Grapevine.

The new thermostat looks a lot different than the old one.

Scroll over the yellow note on the pdf for more information.

Thanks Bob for the heads up on the hose.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4. New Thermostat install and pictures.pdf (1,021.9 KB, 74 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
This file might help. I had to replace my thermostat long ago. My radiator was and is pristine clean. It just overheated on a tall hill called the Grapevine.

The new thermostat looks a lot different than the old one.

Scroll over the yellow note on the pdf for more information.

Thanks Bob for the heads up on the hose.
Myron,

Just got the thermostat out and the old one and the new one are the same size. Both about 3 inches tall. They are different P/N and different temperature. The old one has stamped on it 160 and the new one 180. The old one has black o-rings and the new one has green o-rings. Other than that they look the same.

Bob
Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I found on my old coach, with a rear radiator, was the fan clutch failed and the fan speed was not keeping up with load. I put a GoPro inside the engine compartment and the fan never changed speeds.

Once that was replaced the problem went away.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #10
YC1

Bob, did you happen to test them in boiling water? Just curious.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Bob, did you happen to test them in boiling water? Just curious.
Hi Myron, going to do that this morning before the wife wakes up and catches me using her pot.

Bob
Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 American Eagle View Post
I found on my old coach, with a rear radiator, was the fan clutch failed and the fan speed was not keeping up with load. I put a GoPro inside the engine compartment and the fan never changed speeds.

Once that was replaced the problem went away.
Our Diplomat does not have a clutch on the fan. Replaced the belt in 2016 and I know it is tight because I can't move the fan with my hand.

Bob
Old 09-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes! Must check mine out. Thanks Bob.

Tags
monaco, radiator