Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

Heat in wet bay?

We have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. In the wet bay way up and hidden away so you can't really get to it with out a 6 year old to crawl in, is what appears to be a small heater. Does anyone know if it is supposed to come on with the heat pump or the furnace or neither?
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have a switch inside your coach, probably with your tank monitor etc, called 'System Heat'?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

If so there is a small “Snap Disc” thermostat on the outside of the bay that operates it when temp drops to approx 35f and shuts off at 45f. Assuming the “system Heat “ switch is on. There is also an active light to inform you that it on and operating.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #4

gmc70-

See page 126 of the manual for your coach (link here) for a description of the "System Heat" system.

Wiring diagram is in this post.

I had my bay heater repaired by the manufacturer. The cost (without shipping) was under $100. There is a thermal fuse in the heater that fails. I have spares, but the heater I had had other problems, so back it went. It appears they sent me a new unit.

There are a number of iRV2 threads on the Monaco wet bay heater, but this should get you started.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. There is no switch on the panel inside the MH. I will get down and look for snap switch tomorrow or Sat. Too cold and rainy today and the bones don't work as well as they used to in this weather. I am going to try and just put a manual switch on the MH for it. The coach is right next to our house and plugged in all the time and right next to my work shop [keep an extra stash of beer in the frig] so it is easy to check on.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
Thanks for the reply. There is no switch on the panel inside the MH. I will get down and look for snap switch tomorrow or Sat. Too cold and rainy today and the bones don't work as well as they used to in this weather. I am going to try and just put a manual switch on the MH for it. The coach is right next to our house and plugged in all the time and right next to my work shop [keep an extra stash of beer in the frig] so it is easy to check on.
If you do not have the “system heat switch and active light on the inside console “ then you likely do not have a heater in the water bay. Either you have aqua hot, which I am not familiar with or nothing. The Snap disc referred is just an automatic thermostat that turns the heater on and off. As can be seen the active light is off and the heater is not on at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9519B24A-A8CC-45AF-80DA-0F4ADD55BADE.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	266894  
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #7

This what you should see with a heater in the bay when it is functioning. My Snap disc thermostat is faulty and just installed a toggle switch last year for a quick fix. I have one in route and will replace It for full automatic function once we arrive in Florida for Turkey weekend next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0120E4B6-DD72-4050-9525-7F3F194E3342.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	266897  
Old 11-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #8

By the way there are more of these “Snap Disc” thermostats in our rigs. One for sure in the bay with the inverter. On our 2008 HR Endeavor there is one in the right rear bay with the inverter to turn on a fan to vent the bay. It works the opposite of the wet bay. It turns on at high temp and shuts off Once cooled.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #9

If you have a snap disc(switch) and it is located near where the one in my 2005 Monaco Knight is it will be hard to see and even harder to reach. Mine is mounted high on the roadside frame rail near the tanks behind the big plastic panel in the water bay
It is silver, about the size of a quarter with red and black wires going in and coming out of the switch.
https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monac...1-p/190308.htm
12Vdc comes from the fuse panel to the switch labelled POWER. When the switch is pressed it closes illuminating the light in the switch and sending power to the snap disc. When the temperature of the snap switch reaches the design preset temp setting the bimetallic components deform closing the circuit sending power to the 300 watt water bay heater and to the light on the panel labelled ACTIVE. The switch supposedly makes a snapping sound when it closes hence the name.
My heater is a CARGO HEAT 3000RV and is mounted next to the fresh water drain pipe right to the tank on a steel swivel bracket.

Name:	IMG_20191114_191231864.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	266896
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
If you have a snap disc(switch) and it is located near where the one in my 2005 Monaco Knight it will be hard to see and even harder to reach. Mine is mounted high on the roadside frame rail behind the big plastic panel in the water bay near the tanks.
It is silver, about the size of a quarter with red and black wires going in and coming out of the switch.
https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/monac...1-p/190308.htm
12Vdc comes to the switch labelled POWER. When the switch is pressed it closes illuminating the light in the switch and sending power to the snap disc. When the temperature of the snap switch reaches the design preset temp setting the bimetallic components deform closing the circuit sending power to the 300 watt water bay heater and to the light on the panel labelled ACTIVE. The switch supposedly makes a snapping sound when it closes hence the name.
My heater is a CARGO HEAT 3000RV and is mounted next to the fresh water drain pipe right to the tank on a steel swivel bracket.
Attachment 266896
My disc thermostat in our 2008 HR is mounted on the roadside on the outside of the bay high up near the outside wall. Seems hard to replace without the coach on full air in the bags unless the docking light is pulled. I procrastinated and just put in the manual switch last year. Only access seems to be from behind the forward air bag or the docking light access. Funny your Monaco “system heat” switch is low on your panel as compared to our HR.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #11

Good thing is there is access to the wiring from the water bay. So a temporary fix is easy. You either jump the two wires across the snap disc or do what I did and Pull them and connect them to a manual toggle switch installed on said black access plate until you can locate one and replace it.

It is behind this plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6066F348-74FC-4309-9CA6-F4F02CCD92AE.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	266906  

Tags
heat