RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Heat pump fan shuts off before compressor

The searches found mostly fan no starts, mines seems to be on the back end, fan off first. My front Dometic will sometimes will run for a normal period correctly then shut the fan off but compressor is still humming away. Found that to be the case this morning. I shut off the thermostat and after a few minutes turned back on.

Ran for it's cycle, fan shut off before compressor again. I tried, while still humming, manual fan on low and high with no result. Off/on TS again lowered temp so compressor would not come on and fan works manually low/high. So it seems to be at the end of the heat run cycle.

Outside temp right at 40* but would not have thought that would have upset fan.

Thanks to all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Found something about a defrost cycle every 40 mins run time. Suppose to display "defrost" on the TS when it's in that mode. It's too high and I'm too vertically challenged to really see the LCD display cleanly.

I put some washers to point down some, but I wasn't really looking for that thinking something was wrong. Will try again.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine used to do that too ('06 Endeavor), but then I moved to where I don't see 40*F anymore! I wouldn't get much heat from heat-pump when temp was that low either, always switched the gas by then.

I think it's working correctly and it is just going into its defrost cycle (But I never did think to see if the thermostat said DEFROST).

Now that it's a bit warmer, does it work normal again?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
Found something about a defrost cycle every 40 mins run time. Suppose to display "defrost" on the TS when it's in that mode. It's too high and I'm too vertically challenged to really see the LCD display cleanly.

I put some washers to point down some, but I wasn't really looking for that thinking something was wrong. Will try again.
If it actually is going to defrost it would be in air conditioning. It would have the fan turned off because you wouldn't want to blow cold air. My guess is it's working correctly. In heat pump mode the condenser is cold and evaporator hot, in a/c the reverse is true. That's how they defrost the condenser, pump hot freon through it for a couple minutes. If you listen closely you can probably hear the reversing valve operate at the same time the fan stops.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

That makes alot of sense. I'm on second year of full timing. Last year I ran only on propane. This year I thought I'd be smart (read lazy) it would be less trouble to run heat pump than having to unhook about half way to go get propane.
So never really have run heat pump.
I was half awake this morning and heard it come on then thinking it was running quite a while. I heard fan cut off but could still hear it hum, so sounds like it was doing what it is suppose to.
Fortunately here once the sun comes out we don't need much heat, just sometimes overnight and then not to much just for the DW's chog.

Thanks for all the idea's.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

Mine does that as well. I believe it's normal. Much colder than 40 I spend the money for diesel on the aqua hot.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 12-13-2015, 04:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I know you didn't ask, but I'm going to throw an idea out there anyways .

I added one of those 'Extend-A-Stay' (or whatever they're called) adapters to the propane line right at the valve to the big permanent tank. That way, I can connect a small portable tank and shut down the big one when we get parked for awhile. Simple to just disconnect the little one and take it to get refilled each time, rather than the hassle of moving the entire coach when the big one gets empty.

HTH
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #8

It is normal. When the temps get down to the low 40s with no sun shining on the top of your roof, the airconditioner goes into de icing mode. I let it run the defrost mode and as soon as the fan comes back on I shut it off because there isnt much heat at that point.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #9

Thanks, Seen others with aux tanks and I think some can be rented. Took a temp assignment that turns out going on two years. Turns out this old bus better than any apartment for 3 times to (lost) rent.

Once assignment over will be back on road to chase the sun.

Thanks to all, saved me from going down a rabbit hole.

Tags
compressor, fan, heat, heat pump