Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heat pumps

2007 Dynasty with 3 ACs/HPs Data sheet indicates all 3 are the same model number.

We also have a 100-4s AquaHot.

Problem: only the front unit will operate as a HP. The other 2 will not operate as a HP. Instead it switches itself to Furnace (AH) when calling for heat.

I had a similar problem on my last coach. What I discovered was, if you set the temp 3-5 degrees above the current temp, the gas furnace would come on instead. This makes sense due to the efficiency of both. If I turned on a HP and set it 1 degree over current, it would work.

I’ve tried this with this coach and that doesn’t work. So, if my AQ goes south, I have no heat (except for the front unit).

Has anyone experienced this problem?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cant say I've ever had any of the HP's switch over to Aqua hot heating, no matter what the temp difference is between setpoint and inside coach.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Looks like you’ve only had the Dynasty several months so are the 3 units original? What you described is not normal.Do you have two Tstats? Have you done a reset of the Tstats.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #4

Unless you know for sure that they are all 3 the same models why not find
the model plate on each and make sure the 2 rear units are actually heat pumps .

I have read on here where some people choose to replace with A/C units
that don't have heat .

If you can't compare model numbers you could go on the roof and look
for the transfer valve on each one .
Heat pump units have a valve , the a/c only unit don't have .

If someone has monkeyed around they may have some dip switches
set wrong .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Looks like you’ve only had the Dynasty several months so are the 3 units original? What you described is not normal.Do you have two Tstats? Have you done a reset of the Tstats.

I’ve had it almost 2 years. Yes the units are all original. Yes 2 tstats running the 3 units and AH. Everything works as expected except as described earlier. I do have load shedding going on (all electric coach) but it’s only going between the washer rear AC and cook top. I’m wondering if it’s a dip switch setting on the rear 2 units.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

I'm not much help here, but I agree that it could be the dip switches. I only say that if you've never had it act any differently. If the operation has changed recently, without any humans having putzed around with it, it is not likely a dip switch issue.

What you are experiencing is not how our '06 Dynasty works with the same three heat pump configuration and the AH 100-4S. I do need to check to see that you are setting zone 2 on your rear thermostat to HEAT PUMP. If you don't the Zone 1, which is the bedroom, won't run the heat pump. But I don't think it will run anything except what you have selected for Zone 2. On the rear thermostat module, whatever MODE you select for Zone 2 will be the only mode that will work on either Zone 1 or Zone 2 on that thermostat. And Zone 1 will still have to be manually switched to match the mode on Zone 2, to get it to work for you, regardless. I have no idea why they set it up that way, because it makes no sense, but they did. At least thay's how thy did in in the '06.

I look forward to seeing what you learn and how you solve your problem.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Your Heat Pump setting on the thermostat will say Heat Pump and your Aqua Hot setting will say Furnace.
The thermostat mode switch cycles from:
Fan Only
Cool
Heat Pump
Furnace
In this order.

If it does not cycle through Heat Pump, then the dip switches on the AC control board are set incorrectly. Dip switch 7 is the one to set Heat Pump.
Ext. Stage
Zone 2
Zone 3
Zone 4
Stage
Heat Strip
Heat Pump
Furnace
Dehumidify
Gen Start

First remove the filter on the inside of the coach under each AC and check the model and serial numbers for the units to confirm they are indeed Heat Pump models.
Assuming they are, then properly set the Dip switches on the roof inside the AC control board (small metal cover held on by 1 screw). Then do a rest on each thermostat and the Heat Pump option will appear.

Download Manual: Dip switch settings are on page 12
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/opera...312792.017.pdf

Also, Monaco sets up AC's with the front being 1, the center 3, and the rear 2. This is an opportunity to correct them as 1, 2, and 3 front to rear.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Hopefully your dip switches are set wrong and that’s all that is wrong. If not and as a temporary fix you can remove the covers of the two that will not heat and remove the power to the reversing valves. This will let you select AC but the unit will heat instead...the default is heat when no power to the reversing valve.

Newer units have this reversed...the default is cooling and why putting new units on is not a simple swap of the units.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

Yes, hope the dip switches fix this.

The heat pumps are fairly smart. They have a circuit built in for defrosting and also for not allowing the pump to run if it is below roughly 35 or so out. If it senses it is too cold to run efficiently, the thermostat automatically switches to furnace.

Some folks have taken the temp sensor which is out at the unit and moved it to trick it into thinking it is warmer than it is out so the HP will run to a lower ambient temperature.

I have one HP that that will do this at a fairly warm ambient temp, the other 2 tend to run to below freezing.

I think the anti freeze sensor (or whatever it is called) is supposed to be outside the electrical connection access box, or maybe just inside which is normally on the passenger side of the AC/HP itself.

Maybe not your issue but food for thought.
Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Update:

Our 3 zones are controlled via 2 thermostats. The front unit is zone1 Controlled via the front thermostat which is situated about midship in the kitchen. Selections are fan, cool, HP and furnace. All of these work as one would think. furnace blows warm air from the dash area as well as in the kitchen.

The middle unit is controlled via the thermostat in the bedroom, as zone 2. Which allows fan, cool, HP and furnace. All work as one would expect except HP.

The bedroom is Zone 1 on the rear thermostat. All works there too except the HP, which shows fan, cool, HP and furnace.

Haven’t checked dips yet, but data sheet says all 3 are the same model unit. Since both thermostats” see the 3 HPs” I have to assume the dips are set correctly.

Again, the bedroom is subject to load shedding if the washer is on or the electric cooktop.

This morning the bedroom HP came on after the coach was warm. I need to do more testing!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you have two Zone 1's then your dip switches have been incorrectly set somewhere along the line.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
If you have two Zone 1's then your dip switches have been incorrectly set somewhere along the line.
I don't think so in this case. Here is the 2007 Signature Owner Manual Description which should be the same as the OP:

Wall Thermostat
The living room Comfort Control operates the front roof air conditioner functions and the Aqua-Hot living room heat exchangers. The bedroom Comfort Control operates the rear roof air conditioner, mid-roof air conditioner and Aqua-Hot bathroom and bedroom heat exchangers.

The motorhome is divided into three operating zones: front, middle and rear. The selected Zone will flash. Control individual zone temperatures using the UP or DOWN buttons.
Living Room = Zone One
Hallway/Bathroom = Zone Two
Bedroom = Zone Three
NOTE:
The bedroom (Zone Three) will display as Zone One at the Bedroom Comfort
Control.
NOTE:
The Comfort Control must be ON to operate any HVAC function. DO NOT select conflicting modes of operation.
One zone cannot be on Cool while another zone is set to Furnace.

The Bedroom comfort control will operate rear roof air conditioner functions and the center roof air conditioner.
Press the MODE button repeatedly until Cool is displayed.
Press the ZONE button to alternate between Zone One and Zone Two.
Zone One controls the bedroom roof air conditioner and Zone Two controls the
center roof air conditioner.

The remote temperature sensor is connected to Zone 2 and is located in the center bath

Aux Heat Mode:
If the Heat Pump mode is selected at or below
30° F, or if operating in Heat Pump mode and
temperature drops to 30º F, the air conditioner
will stop Heat Pump operation and Aux Heat
will be displayed. The furnace will be selected
as the auxiliary heat source and will begin
operation. The furnace will remain the primary
heat source until ambient temperature rises
above 42º F.
When ambient temperature is between 30 and
42º F, a defrost cycle is initiated approximately
every 40 minutes of compressor operation. The
blower motor will stop for five minutes and
Defrost will be displayed. After the defrost cycle
the heat pump operation will resume.
NOTE:
The Aqua-Hot needs to be on for Aux
Heat to function. Turn on the Aqua-Hot
diesel burner or electric element. The
exchanger blowers automatically begin
operation in Auxiliary Heat mode.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Cant say I've ever had any of the HP's switch over to Aqua hot heating, no matter what the temp difference is between setpoint and inside coach.
That very well could be on your unit.

We had 3 days of 19 to 30 degree unexpected weather one fall in Northern Ohio , mid November before we went South.

I tried to set the 3 roof units on Heat pump because I came in late , 2am and didn't fill diesel up from my last trip. A learning curve for me.

I set the 3 units on Heat Pump and they immediately went to Furnace.

Boy did that Furnane run for 3 days and kept us toasty warm.

The next day I tried it again. Same thing.
Automatically swithed to Furnace.

I called Aqua hot and ask them about this and they said they are programmed this way to give the bus the most efficient Heat source.

I have used the heat pumps many times since but it was in the 40s.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I don't think so in this case. Here is the 2007 Signature Owner Manual Description which should be the same as the OP:

Wall Thermostat

The living room Comfort Control operates the front roof air conditioner functions and the Aqua-Hot living room heat exchangers. The bedroom Comfort Control operates the rear roof air conditioner, mid-roof air conditioner and Aqua-Hot bathroom and bedroom heat exchangers.

The motorhome is divided into three operating zones: front, middle and rear. The selected Zone will flash. Control individual zone temperatures using the UP or DOWN buttons.

Living Room = Zone One

Hallway/Bathroom = Zone Two

Bedroom = Zone Three

NOTE:

The bedroom (Zone Three) will display as Zone One at the Bedroom Comfort

Control.

NOTE:

The Comfort Control must be ON to operate any HVAC function. DO NOT select conflicting modes of operation.

One zone cannot be on Cool while another zone is set to Furnace.

The Bedroom comfort control will operate rear roof air conditioner functions and the center roof air conditioner.

Press the MODE button repeatedly until Cool is displayed.

Press the ZONE button to alternate between Zone One and Zone Two.

Zone One controls the bedroom roof air conditioner and Zone Two controls the

center roof air conditioner.

The remote temperature sensor is connected to Zone 2 and is located in the center bath

Aux Heat Mode:

If the Heat Pump mode is selected at or below

30° F, or if operating in Heat Pump mode and

temperature drops to 30º F, the air conditioner

will stop Heat Pump operation and Aux Heat

will be displayed. The furnace will be selected

as the auxiliary heat source and will begin

operation. The furnace will remain the primary

heat source until ambient temperature rises

above 42º F.

When ambient temperature is between 30 and

42º F, a defrost cycle is initiated approximately

every 40 minutes of compressor operation. The

blower motor will stop for five minutes and

Defrost will be displayed. After the defrost cycle

the heat pump operation will resume.

NOTE:

The Aqua-Hot needs to be on for Aux

Heat to function. Turn on the Aqua-Hot

diesel burner or electric element. The

exchanger blowers automatically begin

operation in Auxiliary Heat mode.

This is exactly how my 2007 Dynasty works. My problem remains only the front HP will come on. All other functions on all units work as they should. Temps here in LA have been 45-70 degrees. It’s my guess the outside temp sensors have failed in some way on the middle and rear unit. Anyone ever replaced or removed them?

Tags
heat, heat pump