Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heat Warning /Alt or Engine

Driving to Las Vegas, 105 degrees.
.Leaving Baker there is a 17 mile up grade,with notification to not use A/C to avoid overheating. We followed the suggestion.
We have ISL Cummins in our 2006 Monaco Camelot.
We got into some congestion and were slowed to 40 mph behind some trucks. We were nearing the end of the up grade, no over heat indication, but over the normal due to the conditions, not in the red. I heard an audible tone ( weak at first, then cutting in and out) then the Alt/Charge light glowed dimly. Then the alt/chg light came on bright, the audible tone came on constant, still temp not near the red, then ck engine flashed on, and went off as we had increased speed.
We crested the hill and all went out, no tones and no warning lights. We were 81 miles out.
Everything stayed normal for the balance of the trip.
I checked things over,no telltale signs of any leaks, belts good, all warning lights operating okay..
We drove back to LA pulling hills and had no problems what so ever,
Temps increase and decrease as expected with loads.
The only difference, we did not get stuck in traffic on hills at 40 mph for miles, only slowed briefly.
I cannot determine the warning light and tone warning.
Is this part of the alternator ? Any one have this experience?
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #2

King Richard

I do that exact route 4-5 times a year. I have the 350 ISC with banks kit. That is a tough grade and my temp buzzer will go off very slightly as I crest that grade. It is typical in this weather. I haven't had the alternator light go though so can't help you there. I don't get that experience going from Vegas to baker though. My temps get warm but with my dummy gauge I can't tell how hot it really is, but it never goes in the redzone if I keep the rpm at 2000+. As soon as I crest everything goes back to normal.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

My temp warning comes on at 210* which is not an overtemp but a warning to do something which is normneally better downshift and get the revs up and cool it down. If I overtemp then I get a STOP ENGINE light and it derates. What does your owners manual say?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Heat Warning /Alt or Engine

First, Thanks for the response!
The owners manual, as far as I can research, does not have any reference to either condition. But, it does refer to overheating and to take measures. The manual seems to think we have a guage with temp read outs, and we do not. just a red zone. It does not indicate the audible tone.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You. I believe the RPM issue was the killer on my trip. Very discomforting not knowing
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When my Alt/failed light came on with loud "BONGS" every few seconds on my way to Quartzsite last year it turned out to be a RELAY that was bad. Monaco sold me a new one, and that fixed the problem. Several members of IRV2 at Quartzsite verified that the electrical system was charging so I just had to put up with the light and bongs until I got the new relay. deSanford.........no heating problems "yet".
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you so much for the response and information. If by chance you have any identification of thr relay and location I would appreciate it. My light is still off and bong sound remains silent.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The relay is located under the driver in the front outside compartment. Navastar Monaco "service tech" can tell you which one to replace, and where yours is located. My coach is in storage now. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
thanks again!