Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Heater hose on DP

I have no idea what I might be getting into but while I was crawling under my Scepter looking for the reservoir for the jacks I saw a single drop of green antifreeze under a heater hose. It dawned on me how far back the engine is and how long the heater hoses are and I am wondering if anyone else has changed out their heater hoses or if they just cut the hose for a renewed end and re-attached to the heater core? I can't imagine the routing of the heater hoses could be anything but difficult. It was way too cold to do any exploring on their route as it was 14* with a 15 mph wind.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

If your lucky the heater hose drip could just be a slightly loose clamp. If hoses are going to leak it happens when everything is really cold. Parts shrink when cold. Also I doubt if the factory ran rubber heater hose all the way front to back. More likely they used steel or, better, copper pipe except on the end of the runs where they needed flexibility.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
If your lucky the heater hose drip could just be a slightly loose clamp. If hoses are going to leak it happens when everything is really cold. Parts shrink when cold. Also I doubt if the factory ran rubber heater hose all the way front to back. More likely they used steel or, better, copper pipe except on the end of the runs where they needed flexibility.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

If that is the case I would be one happy person! I was so damned cold and had few tools I didn't bother to try tightening the clamp. That is a great idea! I will be down there next week when it's warmer and I will give that a shot. Thanks for the heads up!!

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

heater hose

I have a Monaco Exec built in 2005 that I bought new. On my cars I change all hoses at 10 years. My Detroit diesel must have 12 different hoses of varied size and length. And miles of heater hose for Aqua hot and the front heater from the engine. The factory gave no thought to the replacement of these as they are run thru foam and travel with wire bundles for the length of the coach buried in the ceiling of the basement. I dread the time to replace the hoses. Even to locate and buy the new ones for the engine. The front engine heat could be plugged off since I can heat the coach other ways and do not need it. Some of the engine hoses may last longer if made of better materials but any could put you on the side of the road.
bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bair View Post
I have a Monaco Exec built in 2005 that I bought new. On my cars I change all hoses at 10 years. My Detroit diesel must have 12 different hoses of varied size and length. And miles of heater hose for Aqua hot and the front heater from the engine. The factory gave no thought to the replacement of these as they are run thru foam and travel with wire bundles for the length of the coach buried in the ceiling of the basement. I dread the time to replace the hoses. Even to locate and buy the new ones for the engine. The front engine heat could be plugged off since I can heat the coach other ways and do not need it. Some of the engine hoses may last longer if made of better materials but any could put you on the side of the road.

I agree with you as they can be a real show stopper when they go bad. I don't like you saying that all that is heater hose from from to back! I might block them off. I run the furnace when it's too cold. When it gets warmer and I recuperate a little I am going to have a little better look. Thanks!

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

Most MH's do NOT have anything other than heater hose. Monaco also does not do a good job of mounting the hoses. They are subject to chafing. The actual hoses are better than automotive hose but not the real HD hose that any diesel should use. Depending on the model changing them all the way to the front could be one heck of a job. They are mounted along with bundles of wiring. Very messy!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
With the temps that cold Yes it's probably a "Cold Leak" just a quick turn of the clamp should take care of it.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Most MH's do NOT have anything other than heater hose. Monaco also does not do a good job of mounting the hoses. They are subject to chafing. The actual hoses are better than automotive hose but not the real HD hose that any diesel should use. Depending on the model changing them all the way to the front could be one heck of a job. They are mounted along with bundles of wiring. Very messy!

Not what wanted to hear! Lol! That has been my fear is that it is a helluva job. I am hoping Lindy is spot on. Maybe this can be a great project for a fixit party with my SIL. 😇

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
With the temps that cold Yes it's probably a "Cold Leak" just a quick turn of the clamp should take care of it.

Lindy, I hope you are right.

Thanks,

Alan

Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think that there are steel lines that go over the storage compartment at least that what my 07 Knight looks like. The heater hoses from the front go back till you get to the storage compartment and there are nipples on the end of the steel lines, then in the rear there are nipples for the rear hoses. If you had to feed the rubber hoses all the way back it would be a big job that's for sure. It looks like it would still be a job getting up to those nipples since all the fuel lines and elec lines are all wraped together.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #10

As soon as it warms up and I heal up I will the old girl out and have a look see and let you guys know what I discover. Thanks for all the responses.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-15-2015, 05:12 AM   #11

How

Just had this happen on trip in Colorado. Threw antifreeze all over. As mentioned, small hole caused by rubbing on frame. Christmas Eve truck shop spliced 3 foot new section in. No problems since.

Safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I have SOB, I believe most of these beasts have heater hose run the full length. In the one time I had an access panel removed and could see the wires/air lines/etc. run between the frame rails, I believe I saw rubber hoses in the bundle. Replacing all of it would be a real PITA, for sure. What I have heard most folks do, including shops, is leave the existing hoses in place and run new ones. I had it done on my first motorhome, a '97 Adventurer, and the shop used 115' of hose to replace all of it.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
While I have SOB, I believe most of these beasts have heater hose run the full length. In the one time I had an access panel removed and could see the wires/air lines/etc. run between the frame rails, I believe I saw rubber hoses in the bundle. Replacing all of it would be a real PITA, for sure. What I have heard most folks do, including shops, is leave the existing hoses in place and run new ones. I had it done on my first motorhome, a '97 Adventurer, and the shop used 115' of hose to replace all of it.

I would not be surprised. By the time you go the full length of the coach and going up to the front or the back it is not hard not hard to believe that. I wonder how difficult it would be to run copper tubing through the bottom part of the coach and then put insulation around that to help hold the heat while it gets to the front. This is an area of the coach that I have not been into and know nothing about.

Thanks,

Alan

Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #14

Copper tubing can be problematic in automotive cooling systems. Galvanic corrosion is nearly guaranteed, and it happens from the inside where you can't see it. Somebody with better chemistry knowledge than mine can probably explain better. I would do serious research before introducing copper into the cooling system.

Tags
heater