Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Help!! 2 speed rear axle?

Help Please!! I just bought a 1991 Monaco Signature 40 ft. with 275 Cummins {Ug on the power} and it has a 6 spped Allison & two speed rear end. Did these come stock or is this someone's ad on? I haven't even seen the M/H yet and have to go to Nashville,Tenn. to retrieve it.
Any information would be greatfully helpful.
Greatfully your all the way around on this info!!
wb6epp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
1990 Monaco Crown Royal Signature

This may be close to what you are seeing.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

Thanks Barlow for that one. This unitwas part of estate sale, and the person that was selling it could not tell me the engine size, but I am thinking a 40 ft'r would not have a 5.9L in it. So hopiing it's a 8.3L at least. I do know some of the bobtail trucks had the 8.3L 275 Hp in them. But I have never heard of a auto Trans with a 2 speed in it, nor would I understand how to shift it with a auto trans.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I believe the standard engine for the '91 Signature was the 8.3C Cummins. I also believe it had the Allison 6 speed transmission and the 2 speed rear axle. The 2 speed rear axle was discontinued in (I'm guessing here) I think '93.

The old Cummins 8.3C engine was rated at several different horsepowers through the years, ranging from 250HP to 350HP. It was easy to change the horsepower because of the mechanical fuel injection system. Most of them are running at around 300 HP.

Whatever the HP, the 8.3C is a gutsy engine. It has a good torque output, and that's what gets the job done.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd love to have a two speed rear end in the MH along with a correctly geared 6 speed trans. or better yet a true 12 speed auto trans. Sometimes the gear split in the Allison is just to wide so I either am on the low side or high side of what I really need.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #6

Good morning All: Thanks for chiming in. This is my "first" motor home" and I am not real sure what I bought yet. If the enging is a 8.3 L, I can live with that, as I can twist the pump up fairly easy if it is the P7100 like my Dodge. But I will have to get used to the 2 speed, though I will probably love that feature. I am trying to make arrangement to go get it this week before Christmas, as I want to see what Santa brought me.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

When I glanced at the post time (04:19), my reaction was "Boy, those Texans get up early". Then I realised it was probably the time in my zone (Pacific)!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #8

Well Frank, you are right on both accounts. As I do get up early. Only wish I could sleep later though.
I CALLED TENN. TODAY AFTER THE DOCTORS GOT MORE CHRISTMAS MONEY OUT OF ME.
Tonight I am on my way to pick up my coach. this is the first motor home, as I have a 36 ft 5er that I have been pulling around. But I plan on selling out here, and the 5er doesn't have enough storage like the M/H does.
So is Jerry Br0own treating you alright? Yes I am a California transplant here in Texas. Been here 11 years, and I am still a apprentice here, I haven't earned my Texas statis yet.
Happy Trails, drive safe.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #9

Wow! All I can say if you have a chance to install a 2 speed in your M/H, do so.
I bought mine out of Tenn. I made the trip to pick up my M/H, leaving Wed. evening and arrive early Thurs. Morn. The Gent that handled the transfer from the owner to me knew a little more than I did about the M/H even though he owned another brand. But he knew enough to help me get going. Tried to rent a tow Dolly from "U-Haul" to tow my Jeep Grand Cherokee home, and they would not let me rent one! So both vehicles got driven home.
Back to the 2 speed. Going through the towns in stop and go traffic, I put it in "LOW", and it worked flawlessly. Out on the freeways, climbing a hill, I a couple of times got stuck behind a truck that was moving a lot slower than I was, But I could not get into the left lane and got stuck behind him. When I could get in the next left lane, I would not have been able to pick up enough speed to get around him, but shifted into the low range and the power came alive, and I had no problems picking up speed to get around him. Otherwise I would have had to stay behind him to the top of the hill. So I am real pleased with the 2 speed!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #10

my 91 crown has the 4 speed allison with the 2 speed eaton rear end. with the 8.3 250 hp it really needs that 2 speed rear. gear ratio on mine is 4.56 low & 3.55 high. I pull a 24' enclosed trailer with my jeep and jeep trailer inside. Combined weight is 33,600 so I am under powered so that 2 speed rear end helps alot.
91crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91crown View Post
my 91 crown has the 4 speed allison with the 2 speed eaton rear end. with the 8.3 250 hp it really needs that 2 speed rear. gear ratio on mine is 4.56 low & 3.55 high. I pull a 24' enclosed trailer with my jeep and jeep trailer inside. Combined weight is 33,600 so I am under powered so that 2 speed rear end helps alot.
Go here for a kit to change the fuel plate for more HP
TST Power Kit without Video
I would also get the boost fooler as it should help with the Exhaust temp also you will need a pyrometer to watch the exhaust temp on long hill. I know of a few of these kits on 94 Dynastys on anotyher forum and all report good success.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #12

Good Morning Walt: I have a 1997 Dodge with the Cummins, and it's semi tricked out, and yea all will help. My little Dodge is turning 375 HP without a lot of smoke.
But here is my problem, besides all others. I believe my Signature has a Cummins 10L in it. It has a true Jake Brake, and I don't believe the 8.3's l did. I think they used a exhaust brake. But I will soon find out. I did find some books on the acessories, but nothing on the coach yet. I really haven't had the time to go through my Monaco as of yet. The doctors have been keeping me busy. I guess they need more money to pay off the Santa bill for the family. Beside we have had rain [a good thing] here, so I haven't been able to get out and open all the compartments yet to see what is there. But so far I am glad I made the choice I made, and very happy with the coach.
Hope all that read this had a wonderful Christmas, and have a safe New Year in a few days.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #13

Walt: Your 8.3 L should be able to get on up to the 400 Hp class farily easy with the sights you provided for me. My Dodge runs a #6 plate, I am running 330Hp Marine injectors, along with the Holset Hx 40 turbo, and timing boosted to 16.5 degree's advanced [must advace the timing before you can install all the other stuff to get Hp out]. AND "Guages". This also boosted my fuel mileage from 17 MPG to 23 MPG with the mods. When I pull my 38 ft 5er loaded, I get 12 + MPG. Also exhaust brake works great for those long down hill grades. I will do the same to the Monaco Signature later. You can get good info from www.banks.com but they are high in price, though there product is good, they tack a few bucks on for their name.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Anyone have experience in replacing the stock rear end in a Class-A, with a 2-speed? I'd love to make that conversion in my CC which is geared too low. 2100 rpm at 70 mph with a 350 Cummins in a 26000 pound coach. The power curve seems to be around 1800 rpm which is what it should be turning at 70 mph (in my opinion).
bottieri is offline   Reply With Quote