RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
You should be able to start the generator with jumpers from the toad's battery. You may have to leave them hooked up for a time before the generator will run without the 12 v from the toad, but that depends on how dead the chassis batteries are.

If you're boondocking, why not disconnect the chassis batteries by removing the cables from the battery posts? That way you ensure that the will be 'fresh' and ready to start your engine when needed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, if the Battery Boost is working then it works the other way also and should let you start the generator from the house batteries if the chassis batteries have run down. Your toad with jumpers also should be able to start the generator.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You should be able to start the generator with jumpers from the toad's battery. You may have to leave them hooked up for a time before the generator will run without the 12 v from the toad, but that depends on how dead the chassis batteries are.

If you're boondocking, why not disconnect the chassis batteries by removing the cables from the battery posts? That way you ensure that the will be 'fresh' and ready to start your engine when needed.

Bob, thanks, I hadn't thought of doing that. Interesting idea.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Bob, if the Battery Boost is working then it works the other way also and should let you start the generator from the house batteries if the chassis batteries have run down. Your toad with jumpers also should be able to start the generator.
Ok, thanks, good to know.

The week ended on a high note: we had to get towed to Salt Lake City this afternoon. (Stauffers Towing really knows their stuff) The transmission is jumping out of gear. So we are in the back yard at Smith Power, the local Allison service center. We were headed to Twin Falls but it looks like a weekend under the flight path for Salt Lake airport instead. But it could be owrse, we have 50 amp, and the local Chinese restaurant delivered so nothing to complain about. The techs suspect an electrical problem. <sigh> Luckily, we restocked the wine cellar last week. Not sure how much more fun I can stand.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 08-08-2015, 05:05 AM   #33
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Ok, thanks, good to know.

The week ended on a high note: we had to get towed to Salt Lake City this afternoon. (Stauffers Towing really knows their stuff) The transmission is jumping out of gear. So we are in the back yard at Smith Power, the local Allison service center. We were headed to Twin Falls but it looks like a weekend under the flight path for Salt Lake airport instead. But it could be owrse, we have 50 amp, and the local Chinese restaurant delivered so nothing to complain about. The techs suspect an electrical problem. <sigh> Luckily, we restocked the wine cellar last week. Not sure how much more fun I can stand.

Cheers,

Bob
Repair centers are expensive campgrounds and they get a bit fussy about building campfires.

My recent stay was about $1600 a night. I was surprised at the stress level it caused. Next time I will get a hotel room for sure.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to CFXCH
My chassis batteries were always dying while on shore power. I replaced the Battery Isolator Solenoid ($54) and that fixed a lot of issues. While driving now the alternator charges the Chassis batteries as well as the house batteries. and while on Shore power now my chassis batteries remain fully charged.
CFXCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:26 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFXCH View Post
My chassis batteries were always dying while on shore power. I replaced the Battery Isolator Solenoid ($54) and that fixed a lot of issues. While driving now the alternator charges the Chassis batteries as well as the house batteries. and while on Shore power now my chassis batteries remain fully charged.
They are scratching their heads about this one. The trans computer stored one low voltage fault, but it shifted into neutral three times in ten miles or so. The batteries load test fine. The isolator checks out good. The alternator is good.

The shift problem cure is to run a dedicated power and ground to the trans computer, but after two hours we cannot find the computer!. So, we are stuck here until Monday when we can call Monaco to find out where they put the trans computer (can't find the engine computer either).

While we were here, I had them change the Transynd and the filters. The filters were dated 2001, so they had never been changed and I suspect the fluid was factory, too. Glad I did. Also updated trans software. It takes 11 gallons of Transynd. Yikes!

I think we have beat this to death. I will post any new info if relevant. Thanks again to all who offered help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Bob

Tags
batteries, chassis