RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Help - Dead chassis batteries

Went to start up this morning and absolutely nothing: no lights, HWH panel dead, no accessories. Generator won’t turn over, the switch won’t even light up. This has never happened before.
Data:
1. We have been plugged in for a week.
2. All AC circuits work
3. All DC house circuits work (lights, AC controllers, fridge controller, fans)
4. House batteries read 14.3V measured at terminals, 13.0 on inverter/charger panel, which is on float.
5. Engine has been started at least 8 times without a problem to air up (yes, small leak somewhere), and to test new ignition switch installed last Tuesday. All gauges normal.
6. Most recent start was 2 days ago. Nothing unusual.
7. Chassis batteries are 10 months old.
8. Chassis batteries each measure about 5.7V at terminals with all cables disconnected.
9. Boost switch had no effect.
10. I had switched off the house batteries using the battery disconnect switch 2 days ago to wash the tops of the batteries and forgot to switch it on. They were off until I discovered that when looking at where I last worked.
11. The LED on the battery maintainer is not lit. The book says it is supposed to be on when plugged in. No voltage is present measuring between the ground and either pin (The chassis batteries were disconnected when taking this reading. False data?)
12. I hear the boost solenoid kick. Putting a meter from ground to each to the lugs on the boost solenoid gives the following:
a. Boost switch off: power is present at top lug, no power at bottom lug
b. Boost switch on: power is present at bottom lug, no power at top
c. I do not measure any increase in voltage at the chassis batteries with the boost on
d. I wonder if I am reading the solenoid actuator voltage, but no power is passing through the solenoid?
13. If the boost solenoid is working correctly, should power be present at both lugs when the boost switch is on?
14. The solar panel controller is dead. No reading of any kind.

I am charging the chassis batteries independently using a standalone charger. All cables are disconnected.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The installation of the ignition switch could have burned out a fuse in the circuit. I'd check all fuses on the battery isolation solenoids and work from there.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a picture if you can for better help. IF the solenoid is going clunk you should see the same voltage on each of the large terminals. This should be just a simple on/off switch in essence. Post the voltages readings you are getting.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

Issue #1 Chassis batteries are reading 5.7 volts. Even 2 in series at 11.4 volts is a dead battery.

Issue #2 House batteries are reading 14.3 at terminals and 13.0 at panel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Could be, but it has started several times without incident since I installed the switch. I'll look at all the fuses that I can find.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Issue #1 Chassis batteries are reading 5.7 volts. Even 2 in series at 11.4 volts is a dead battery.

Issue #2 House batteries are reading 14.3 at terminals and 13.0 at panel.
#1: I bought a 30A charger this morning. One of the batteries is charged, the other just went on the charger.
#2: Yeah, I can't explain that either, everything has worked fine since we have owned the coach. I have noticed that in the past, too.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the chassis batteries are charged via the BIRD and Big Boy relay. But the twist is the house batteries have to charge up to 13.2 volts befor the Big Boys turns on and it charges the chassis batteries. The Big Boy is also what is turned on when you hit the battery boost switch. So either your house batteries are not charging up to 13.2 volts or if they are then the Big Boy maybe have dirty contacts and you need to take apart the Big Boy and clean it. I have step by step instructions on how to do that. It is easy and only takes about 45 minutes total. So the first thing is to make sure your inverter/converter is on and there is no error LED on the remote panel above the drivers seat.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Take a picture if you can for better help. IF the solenoid is going clunk you should see the same voltage on each of the large terminals. This should be just a simple on/off switch in essence. Post the voltages readings you are getting.
Myron,

That's what I thought, too. I suspect it needs to be taken apart and inspected. I've never tried to use it until this morning, so it could have been dead since I bought the coach.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Well, the chassis batteries are charged via the BIRD and Big Boy relay. But the twist is the house batteries have to charge up to 13.2 volts befor the Big Boys turns on and it charges the chassis batteries. The Big Boy is also what is turned on when you hit the battery boost switch. So either your house batteries are not charging up to 13.2 volts or if they are then the Big Boy maybe have dirty contacts and you need to take apart the Big Boy and clean it. I have step by step instructions on how to do that. It is easy and only takes about 45 minutes total. So the first thing is to make sure your inverter/converter is on and there is no error LED on the remote panel above the drivers seat.
Mike,

There are no errors displayed on the Trace panel. I just rechecked the house batteries and they are at 14V +- .2 using a meter on the battery posts. Everything on the house side continues to function without any issues. All 3 AV units are chugging away to deal with 100 degrees.

If I understand what you wrote, the power from the house batteries to the MAINTAINER must pass through the Big Boy? Is the "Big Boy" the large cannister that is identified in the owners manual as the BATTERY BOOST SOLENOID?
Please send the instructions to bobcovey100@gmail.com

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

FWIW - I don't have a Monaco - On the boost solenoid big terminals I would expect to see the chassis battery voltage on one terminal and the house battery voltage on the other big terminal then when the relay goes clunk they should equalize as they are connected together. That is what a boost solenoid does.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, when the house batteries are fully charged to 13.2 volts the Big Boy relay energizes and puts the chassis batteries in parallel with the house batteries until they are fully charged. The Big Boy is the largest relay in the Rear Run Box. You can see it in the attached picture below. I will send the instructions as soon as I get to my PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	102077  
Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Yes, when the house batteries are fully charged to 13.2 volts the Big Boy relay energizes and puts the chassis batteries in parallel with the house batteries until they are fully charged. The Big Boy is the largest relay in the Rear Run Box. You can see it in the attached picture below. I will send the instructions as soon as I get to my PC.
Mike,

Our layouts are different. Just to be sure I'm seeing the same thing in a different layout, here's a picture:

Big Boy is the large canister in the middle of the box.

Cheers,

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right rear run box - small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	102078  
Old 08-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that is different. My friends 2003 Exec looks like mine. That large blue finned box on the left is a battery isolator with the charge coming in on the middle lug and is split evenly coming out of the top and bottom lugs to the chassis and house batteries. The large solenoid in the middle is just the battery boost. So both sets of batteries are being charged together all the time.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

So what does the writing on the lug labels on the green finned box in the upper right. I bet that what your battery maintainer is hooked to. Most likely another isolator box. I would think you should have a LED on the battery maintainer if you are plugged into shore power

Tags
batteries, chassis