Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
So the 'brine' waste water from RO is going into your fresh water tank ??????
Yes the brine is going back to the fresh water tank. The brine water has still been filtered by the first three filters so it's safe enough. Water is precious and we didn't want to waste it. Besides other than when boon-docking we won't be drinking it, just using it for toilet, sinks, shower, and washer. Do you know something I don't about the brine?
emanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanofoz View Post
I hadn't thought of that and it could become a problem.Adding a booster pump on the main incoming line would probably correct it but seems like a pretty expensive fix. How have you overcome it or have you?
Just tried it and didn't seem to have a problem. Once the pressure drops I will need to turn off the ice maker and drinking water and no longer use them while boon-docking. The pump should only run when used by the regular system and not be affected by the R.O. pressure. (The R.O. pressure switch just opens the feed from the main water supply to the three main filters, not the pump side feeding the fixtures.)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Reverse Osmosis system in our house produces three gallons of waste water for every gallon of filtered water. Ours is a Whirlpool unit bought at Lowes.

I'm wondering if you ever have a problem with the fresh water tank over filling from the waste water discharging into it?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes the brine is going back to the fresh water tank. The brine water has still been filtered by the first three filters so it's safe enough. Water is precious and we didn't want to waste it. Besides other than when boon-docking we won't be drinking it, just using it for toilet, sinks, shower, and washer. Do you know something I don't about the brine?
'Brine' comes off at the RO Head (membrane) and that is downstream of any filters. Brine is full of all the minerals/solids that could not pass thru RO membrane. All those minerals/solids will plate out of bottom of your fresh water tank, will be carried thru your RV plumbing system (water heater, faucets/shower, toilet etc.) where it will leave scale, clog check valves (water heater----pump) and clog toilet water valve, scale up on toilet bowl & seal.

Brine is WASTE water for a reason.......

If those filters removed all the stuff then you would not need the RO

PS: Operated a commercial RO Unit (800 gpm effluent) for power plant high pressure boilers.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I hadn't thought of that and it could become a problem.Adding a booster pump on the main incoming line would probably correct it but seems like a pretty expensive fix. How have you overcome it or have you?
We know that this occurs and the pressure gradually goes down
unless we leave the pump "ON".
I would rather save the pump so we turn it on when needed and then shut it off.
We also have bottled water with us when boondocking so this does not
become a problem.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #20

old-buscuit is right on. It is called drain for a reason. I would like someone to take the drain or waste water from the ro to a lab and test it. It will be harder than the incoming water and it will have more total dissolved solids in the test sample. If this was not the case Calliforia would ro the ocean water and their water crissis would be over.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Our Reverse Osmosis system in our house produces three gallons of waste water for every gallon of filtered water. Ours is a Whirlpool unit bought at Lowes.

I'm wondering if you ever have a problem with the fresh water tank over filling from the waste water discharging into it?
I have only had the system running for about a week now with no problems. I love my hot long showers and I think I'm using up what might normally be overflowing. If and when, because I think it will, begins to overflow I'm going to cut a access hole in the top of the tank and install an aquarium float style shutoff valve to close off the water being supplied from the main incoming tube. I don't know if that is the proper fix but I haven't heard of any other way other then allowing it to overflow onto the ground.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
old-buscuit is right on. It is called drain for a reason. I would like someone to take the drain or waste water from the ro to a lab and test it. It will be harder than the incoming water and it will have more total dissolved solids in the test sample. If this was not the case Calliforia would ro the ocean water and their water crissis would be over.
That's a good idea. I may take a sample into Yuma and get it tested. At least then I would know how significant it really is.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
We were paying 50 cents a gallon, where do you get it for 15 cents?
Everywhere in Yuma you see places that sell it. Most are 25 cents. I bought a 3 gallon bottle full of water for $3 and I use the bottle to refill.
We had out RV washed and the guy told me he fills his washing water tank with this. In Quartzsite there is a water filling station in town. Same price.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, water