Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

HELP! Kitchen outlets (DS) and Outlets/Lights (PS) Don't Work

Recently purchased a 1999 Monaco Signature FSBO (Classic). I'll spare all the details, but needless to say I haven't used it in about a year. Although the original owner has been using it. Picked it up this weekend and have some issues that neither of us can sort out.

First, per the original owner, several years ago he had an issue with the front outlets not working (under the kitchen cabinets). He stated that the person/RV place that fixed it replaced the GFCI.

I picked it up and none of the neither of the two candalabra lights work nor the light over the kitchen table. Neither do any of the outlets along that side work (under cabinet and one near the floor directly behind the passengers seat).

I have also discovered that none of the receptacles under the kitchen cabinets work either.

Needless to say, I'm confused. I'm a decent DIY'er but I'm stumped.

Can't seem to locate the GFI outlet, but he breakers in breaker box are tripped and when reset, they immediately trip again.

I have also noted that the breaker marker L1 (Inverter) does not energize the buss bar. (e.g. turn L2 off and simply leave L1 live. Conversely, L2 on (buss bar energized).

PLEASE HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3496.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	185381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	185382  

offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtosleep View Post
Recently purchased a 1999 Monaco Signature FSBO (Classic). I'll spare all the details, but needless to say I haven't used it in about a year. Although the original owner has been using it. Picked it up this weekend and have some issues that neither of us can sort out.

First, per the original owner, several years ago he had an issue with the front outlets not working (under the kitchen cabinets). He stated that the person/RV place that fixed it replaced the GFCI.

I picked it up and none of the neither of the two candalabra lights work nor the light over the kitchen table. Neither do any of the outlets along that side work (under cabinet and one near the floor directly behind the passengers seat).

I have also discovered that none of the receptacles under the kitchen cabinets work either.

Can't seem to locate the GFI outlet, but he breakers in breaker box are tripped and when reset, they immediately trip again.

I have also noted that the breaker marker L1 (Inverter) does not energize the buss bar. (e.g. turn L2 off and simply leave L1 live. Conversely, L2 on (buss bar energized).

PLEASE HELP!

BTW, REPLACED ALL CIRCUIT BREAKERS to make sure I wasn't chasing a breaker problem.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

Is your Arc Fault Interrupter wired in correctly?
Hartman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #4

Maybe this will give you some ideas. http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/a...t_breakers.htm
Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman2112 View Post
Is your Arc Fault Interrupter wired in correctly?

Are you referring to the GFCI breaker? If so yes. Curled wire (comes hard wired on these breakers) goes to the neutral Buss bar. The neutral wire from the circuit goes to the neutral Buss bar as well.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure the neutral wire from the circuit goes into a second clamp on the breaker.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171210-221234.png
Views:	136
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	185387
Old 12-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the neutral wire from the circuit goes into a second clamp on the breaker.

That’s is correct. It wasn’t too clear what I was saying, but that’s what I meant
Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:

It is wired exactly as your picture shows
Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When you have a GFI "breaker" in the panel, the outlets are not GFI type (the ones with the Test and Reset button). They are just regular outlets, as the GFI breaker in your panel is protecting all the outlets (and it will have the test button).

So if the GFI breaker keeps tripping that means one of the outlets or wiring is bad. You need to turn off the breaker, then go to the first outlet in the chain and remove the black (hot) wire on the outlet. Then go back to the panel and turn the GFI Breaker On. If it does not trip, then you found the bad outlet. If it trips again, continue with the next outlet (remove hot) until you find the one where the breaker doesn't trip. If you do this on the outlets and GFI breaker still trips, then the wiring to the outlets has the issue or the GFI Breaker itself is bad.

Quote:
I don't understand what your saying here. You can test to see if power is coming through L1 with a voltmeter. If you check the power at the wire terminal, you would have 120V if the breaker is working (passing power through it). If the breaker is bad you have 0 volts at the screw terminal.
The "bus bar" gets power from main breaker and supplies the "power In" to the breaker. Then each individual breaker is connected to the bus bar from its internal connection to the buss.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
When you have a GFI "breaker" in the panel, the outlets are not GFI type (the ones with the Test and Reset button). They are just regular outlets, as the GFI breaker in your panel is protecting all the outlets (and it will have the test button).

So if the GFI breaker keeps tripping that means one of the outlets or wiring is bad. You need to turn off the breaker, then go to the first outlet in the chain and remove the black (hot) wire on the outlet. Then go back to the panel and turn the GFI Breaker On. If it does not trip, then you found the bad outlet. If it trips again, continue with the next outlet (remove hot) until you find the one where the breaker doesn't trip. If you do this on the outlets and GFI breaker still trips, then the wiring to the outlets has the issue or the GFI Breaker itself is bad.

Awesome explanation!!! I will pull the schematic and start working backwards. If I understand you correctly, I need to start at the outlet furthest away (in the diagram)correct? That is to say, the terminal end, not the genesis.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Awesome explanation!!! I will pull the schematic and start working backwards. If I understand you correctly, I need to start at the outlet furthest away (in the diagram)correct? That is to say, the terminal end, not the genesis.
I would start at the closest outlet to the breaker, then when you remove the wire to the first outlet (all the other outlets are disconnected to since they are in series). If the breaker still trips, there is no need to mess with the other oulets. You would then be looking at the wiring between the breaker and the first outlet. If the breaker does not trip, then reconnect the first the outlet and move to the next one. and so on.

Good luck - I hope it is not a problem in the wiring. You said you already replace the GFI Breaker, so that eliminates that from the list.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I would start at the closest outlet to the breaker, then when you remove the wire to the first outlet (all the other outlets are disconnected to since they are in series). If the breaker still trips, there is no need to mess with the other oulets. You would then be looking at the wiring between the breaker and the first outlet. If the breaker does not trip, then reconnect the first the outlet and move to the next one. and so on.

Good luck - I hope it is not a problem in the wiring. You said you already replace the GFI Breaker, so that eliminates that from the list.

Perfect! I can’t imagine a problem in the walls. That would be a nightmare
Old 12-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

PLEASE HELP!
Are the lights that are not working 12 volt or 120 volt? You may have 2 separate issues going on.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights