Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #1

Help - Lost all 12V in house!

Woke up in the middle of the night and noticed that the ceiling fan was not on. Everything was working when I went to bed. Found out I've lost all 12V in the house. Still have all 110V. So, at least I can have a cup of coffee. Chassis is good.
I'm in Blanding, Utah in a campground. That is the good part. I don't have to be anywhere in the next week. Bad news is I'm not sure where the nearest tech would be. Maybe Cortez or Moab. So, I'm on my own with your help.
It is still dark outside. So, I can't really troubleshoot for a while. Coach batteries are original. Checked the battery cutout switch by the door.
Where do I start troubleshooting?
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi BVThunder,

The make, model and year of your RV will assist in troubleshooting the problem.
manxadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxadian View Post
Hi BVThunder,

The make, model and year of your RV will assist in troubleshooting the problem.
It's in his signature. 2007 Holiday Rambler Endevour.

First thing to do is check the batteries to see if you don't have a bad one that is causing problems. All it takes is one bad cell to drop the voltage output to nothing. If that's not it, then the cutoff relay is the next step.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
Woke up in the middle of the night and noticed that the ceiling fan was not on. Everything was working when I went to bed. Found out I've lost all 12V in the house. Still have all 110V. So, at least I can have a cup of coffee. Chassis is good.
I'm in Blanding, Utah in a campground. That is the good part. I don't have to be anywhere in the next week. Bad news is I'm not sure where the nearest tech would be. Maybe Cortez or Moab. So, I'm on my own with your help.
It is still dark outside. So, I can't really troubleshoot for a while. Coach batteries are original. Checked the battery cutout switch by the door.
Where do I start troubleshooting?
If the "battery cut out switch" (salesman switch) is on then check the relay that it controls. In the electrical bay. Voltage at the house batteries is ? Check this directly at the batteries.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bypa...id-143761.html

Try this first or at least check the voltages at the batteries and then at the solinoid and we can go from there.

Good luck
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had same problem - traced it to the salesman switch Solenoid - I bypassed it and all has been good since - It was useless for me as we don't camp without shore power.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #6

Ok, I'm working now. Checked Magnum breaker, checked salesman switch. On a hunch, I turned off the house battery disconnect switch in the battery bay and turned in back on and everything is working.

So, gurus... This is the first time that has happened since the coach was new. Anybody got a clue? Maybe my disconnect switch getting funky. Will check all connections. Could this be a symptom of my house batteries going bad? Would assume dim lights when not on shore power but what else? Will check voltage on batteries after some breakfast.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
YC1

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=salesman+switch

Answered your question on the other forum first. But here is a place to start.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Check corrosion on the inside of battery disconnect switch, I had a similar issue and the Switch was the problem.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

Thanks for the help folks. Got the reply below on RVNet.

This is a common problem on the HR/Monaco line. There is a large black solenoid in the front run bay that acts up. It is controlled by the switch near the entry which you tried. Turning the batteries off and on probably allowed it to reconnect. Again, this is a very common problem. So common in fact that many people just bypass it. I bypassed mine after accidently having it shut off and leaving the fur babies inside. With the switch off the air conditioners do not work.

The front run bay is the box below the driver in the outside compartment. Open it up and look toward the bottom left for a large black solenoid. That is the pest.

Salesman Switch

Do a search for "Salesman Switch" and you will find pages of information on how to address it.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Could be corrosion on the battery disconnect or a faulty solenoid. When you cycled the switch it cycled the solenoid. Next time it happens check for voltage on the switch. If you have voltage there check the right lug of the solenoid for 12-13 volts. The solenoids wear out. Especially continuos duty ones. They are cheap and you may want to carry one.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The salesman switch is a common failure, so much so that it's the first thing lots of people think about when losing power. It's good to know about it. It's very easy to test: with a volt meter or test light, measure across the two large terminals of the solenoid -- if there is a voltage (or the test light lights) regardless of the position of the salesman switch, then you have a bad solenoid.

In this case, since flipping the battery cutoff switch off and on fixed it, I'd be more inclined to go with a bad battery switch. There may be corrosion or a bad connection. I've seen several people complain that the switches used by Monaco can be problematic, and that there are better quality marine switches out there.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Sorry I didn't reply with the resolution to my problem. I always try to do so. The solenoid failed a second time and would reset. Followed the search back to this forum. I removed the solenoid and used a bolt to tie the three red wires together. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #13

Salesman Switch

Glad I found this conversation because it may be my problem. I have an 08 Diplomat and accidentally drilled into the 12 volt wires leading to the galley light above the sink. This also feeds the light above the couch on the same side. After repairing the wire the light did not come back on so I checked the fuse and it is fine. Is it possible for the solenoid to be bad and effect only those lights? All other items are working fine. Any suggestions.
HootenHows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootenHows View Post
Glad I found this conversation because it may be my problem. I have an 08 Diplomat and accidentally drilled into the 12 volt wires leading to the galley light above the sink. This also feeds the light above the couch on the same side. After repairing the wire the light did not come back on so I checked the fuse and it is fine. Is it possible for the solenoid to be bad and effect only those lights? All other items are working fine. Any suggestions.
No.
You may have cut the ground side of the wire too when drilling. Use a 12 volt test light to see if there is voltage on the wire you repaired. To find a useful ground for the test light can be a problem so try this. Turn off your inverter and disconnect from shoreline for safety. Plug an extension cord in and then use the empty end ground socket with a round screwdriver inserted to make contact. Connect your test light ground clip to that. Tape it together and then test away. Try it on a known good light first so you have confidence it works for you.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote