Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

HELP !!! Monaco 2001

Hi,
This is all new to me. I am currently not a MH owner but I am considering a 2001 Monaco Executive 40DP tag. With 64K miles and it has the Cummins 500HP motor.
I own an auto repair shop and an Automotive machine shop where I build engines.
I guess my big hang-up is the fact that the MH is a 2001 but with 64K I can see that it has been used but trying to get my mind around the 13 year old MH is what makes me hesitate.
The MH appears to be well taken care of although I am only judging this by what I am being told by the dealer and what I can see in the pictures.
I know that Navistar has taken over Monaco. How is Monaco thought of in the MH world?
I am no novice to towing ,as I just sold my 48' 3 axle Haulmark trailer and Dodge crew cab dually with Cummins. I had a total weight of 28K and a 62' OAL, but this is an entirely different deal, so.....I am looking to those that own and know what I should be aware of and look out for. ANY and ALL advice ,warnings, cautions are welcome.
After working my ass off for the past 52 years,( I am 71) I would like to take some time with my wife to travel and see the country but don't want to get to see the interior of every MH repair facility between Maine and California.
Thank you for your time to read this.
Dom Rinaldi
maxwedgemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedgemain View Post
Hi,
This is all new to me. I am currently not a MH owner but I am considering a 2001 Monaco Executive 40DP tag. With 64K miles and it has the Cummins 500HP motor.
I guess my big hang-up is the fact that the MH is a 2001 but with 64K I can see that it has been used but trying to get my mind around the 13 year old MH is what makes me hesitate.
The MH appears to be well taken care of although I am only judging this by what I am being told by the dealer and what I can see in the pictures.
I know that Navistar has taken over Monaco. How is Monaco thought of in the MH world?
I am no novice to towing ,as I just sold my 48' 3 axle Haulmark trailer and Dodge crew cab dually with Cummins. I had a total weight of 28K and a 62' OAL, but this is an entirely different deal, so.....I am looking to those that own and know what I should be aware of and look out for. ANY and ALL advice ,warnings, cautions are welcome.
After working my ass off for the past 52 years,( I am 71) I would like to take some time with my wife to travel and see the country but don't want to get to see the interior of every MH repair facility between Maine and California.
Dom Rinaldi
there are never any guarentee's in this game but you have a good start with the ism and Alison 4000, certainly if they were abused there could be some problems but you would have to go out of your way to hurt that engine or tranny, as far as the coach the executive is between my coach and the signature, likely has a 10 or 12K genny that is good for several thousand hours easily if maintained, pretty sure that coach would have aquahot that again should be serviced somewhat regularly and can be rescued if it has not suffered any terminal danger, fridges, TV's, stereos, microwaves, all depend on use, there is little maintenance to be done so plan on replacing some of them or do like I did and just replace them as they expire, other than the fridge which I plan on converting to Amish cooling long before any problems, I replaced every fluid, every filter, every nozzle, tranny fluid and filter, engine oil and filter, coolant and filters, even did wet hubs, hydraulic fluids and filters, fuel filter, aquahot nozzles and filters,

The coach itself is top of the line, imho the best chassis in the business even 12 years later, 64K the chassis should be in great shape if not abused, tires? that is a whole other bag of worms, you don't know the history so if over 5 years old consider starting to look around for replacements or invest the money to have them inspected so you know where you are at, make sure she doesn't have any leaks and they may not show up so a little pro active inspection of the roof cavity will go a long way, little inspection cameras are cheap and can reveal a lot, I had the CB antennae leaking and didn't know it, luckily I spotted it before it did any permanent damage, repaired the leak by reinstalling antennae, dried her out and all good, replaced the tube TV with flat screens and made front and rear boxes a lot smaller too.

Im sure a few others will chime in with valuable info that you should seriously consider following, awesome coach likely over 350K new

Good luck

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought a 2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial a little over a year ago. I was new to the RV world also. It has the 350 hp ISC engine, and with the exception of a cracked exhaust manifold, has done fine. I've put about 5 or 6 thousand miles on it. It had 56000 when I got it. New tires were put on before I took delivery. I've learned that tires have about a 7 year life, irregardless of the look of the tread. At 69, my wife and I love taking off and going places, and "Big Mo" takes us in relative luxury. Good luck!
Grady Ray
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

Dom, it's a motor home, and motor homes need TLC constantly. Usually nothing of any consequence, but if little stuff is going to bug you, motor homes may not be your game. If you're able and willing to take care of this little stuff, and maybe do your own maintenance, my bet is you'll love it!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #5

Max,

I think the drivetrain is probably fine, other then the weird unexpected things that happen. Coaches are a lot like boats, if they sit they have problems, if there used they have problems... Things happen & it makes no difference if it's a 2014 or a 2001, any and all can have problems.

Now that being said, I can tell you from my experience (I've been running our shop since the late 90's with my parents, been around this stuff my entire 42 years, & owned diesel pusher since 2005) if the coach has been well maintained I wouldn't hesitate for a second to purchase it or recommend to a customer or friend to. BUT being well maintained or knowing what you're buying is key. A good extensive inspection is required. Any good independent repair shop should have the ability to walk a coach with you and go over everything about it's current condition and be able to put numbers into your head for what is needed. Key points are - Roof & sides, sealant around all protrusions & moldings - as well as looking for any sign's of de-lamination. Tires - good for 7 years from the DOT code on them. Batteries, looked over and the cleaner the compartment the better, if there new and the compartment is a mess, that tells me they didn't care about them and just thru some batteries at it for the sale. Service history of the drivetrain and what issues it's had. I always tell buyers to plan on ALL fluids changed on a used coach.

As for interior, all systems checked. Electrical (both AC & DC), Plumbing, HVAC (Heating, Vents & Air Condition) Appliances, and then open & close every cabinet door. If they say it has a satellite for TV, then I need to see it work. Satellite's and pretty much all electronics are like cell phones. I'm sure a cell phone from 2001 could still work?

The list goes on but I'm sure this gives something to think about...

Good Luck & Follow Your Dreams!

Jim Lewis
Infinity Coach
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedgemain View Post
Hi,
Dom Rinaldi

Dom, with your mechanical background and knowledge, you will be way ahead of most of us when we started.

The Monaco Coach Corp who built that coach was known for solid, well built motorhomes. In later years them made some mistakes in trying to get into the entry level business but coaches like the Executive were what they did best.

Monaco was purchased out of bankruptcy by Navistar in '09. Navistar sold Monaco last year to ASV who is also the parent company of Fleetwood and American Coach when were also purchased out of bankruptcy.

Monaco still provided Tech Support for a coach like the Executive you are looking at.

My wife and I have lived full time in an '03 Signature, which is a very close sibling to the Executive, for 7 years and 100k miles. Same drive train as the Executive. As has been posted, if the maintenance has been kept up, it should be fine. I do my own regular PM and mine hasn't been in a shop in many years.

Here is a fairly complete list of maintenance points:

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

Chassis:
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.

Generator:
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.

AquaHot:
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #7

like any thing else ... you know what well show up on a motor that sets for any long time with out being run ..

3 things i would say

get on the roof and look at it good
see what the roof is made of
TPO
EPDM
fiberglass

i am sure your going to see some thing that say add cuk here

2 see how much air is blowing though the rad for cooling when its running
in RVs we find alot of trash that gets sucked up and blocks the air from cooling the rad alot .. and this happens to even 2 year old RVs

3 as RVs get older and if its a longer unit like what you are talking
things dont like to give so much and or they give to much so take a really good look at the windshield .. is it new and the rubber around it ... on the test drive put some blue tap on the dash and it ... see if it moves why going down the road

if you look you well find posts on them popping out
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 2001 diplomat 38 2 years ago with 92K miles. It now have 122K. It's been a trouble free rig. I had to change the exhaust manifold and muffler, other than normal maintenance. I love our rig and use it 8 months a year. Have it checked out by a chassis shop and cummins. They are really a nice rig.
Good luck.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

First of all you have come to the right place for advice.
As you can see there are many experienced owners here who are more than willing to help with whatever problem you may have.
Get the coach checked out as suggested but if you decide to purchase, I think you will really enjoy that coach.
We certainly are happy with our coach (which is very similar), and also happy that we joined this forum. It has been invaluable to me.
Good luck,
Iver.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #10

To All,
I can't thank you all enough for your time in replying to my questions.
I can see by what you all say that this is indeed a good MH providing I do my thing in having it checked out. The power train I am not concerned about because we have done them in my shop but everything else was of much concern to me. I can see that common sense has a lot to do with what you eventually end up with no matter how well it has been maintained.
Dom Rinaldi
maxwedgemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #11

With that attitude, guessing you're going to be into this a long time. Welcome!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've got 73,000 miles on mine and have had very few problems. We've been very pleased with our coach and prior to 08 Monaco built an excellent coach. Remember the Signature, Executive and Dynasty were considered luxury coaches and as such have a steel cage instead of the composite.....Dennis
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a 2001 Imperial knowing it needed some work. It was a repossession from out of state but looked like what we wanted and fit our budget. Several things were immediately done. All fluids and filters were changed, cracked manifold repaired, new tires and NEW SHOCKS all around. The last sure made a great difference in the ride. One thing we didn't foresee was a bad radiator. It got replaced (expensive!) Last month we made a 3600 mile trip out east and north and the thing just hummed along. We are very happy with it and look forward to many more trips in it. Being a mechanic, you should be able to do many of those things and enjoy the unit for a long time. It is one of the best ever made.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

We just purchased a 2000 Dynasty in Nov. Has 102000 miles so she's just getting broke in���� while we have had a coup!e odd things we are super happy We did take it to Freightliner in Tucson and had the chassis, engine and Tran all checked. Worth every penny of that $600. We had looked for 3 years to replace our 5th wheel. We only looked at Monaco 99 to 2004. We got a beauty and are happy
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco