RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

I've only had it a month and I have had one problem after another. I looked at many used coachs and settled on this one as it was far better then all of the rest. Still you don't know what you have until you start using it.
The worst problem was the accessory solenoid going south which left me stranded in the middle of an intersection completly dead! Not fun to say the least.
A few of the rest are, bad leaks around roof vents, broken drain pipe underneath stove from sink, replaced leaking fresh water pump, overhead cabinets in slide came loose and almost fell down, replace toilet seal in toilet, a few of the day night shades broke and right now it's back at the dealer (Tiffen) where I bought it for leaking coolent res., wipers don't work all the time, and bouncing tech ( I forwarded the post on that to the dealer) . If I didn't know better I would say the Monaco builds crap....but I do know better. I suspect that the previous owner just let things go since he was trading this on a new Phaton.
Most of the things I fixed myself, the solenoid problem was fixed at a Cumins dealer where it was towed to.
I still have some other concerns;
This coach rides very hard and is jarring to say the least, it has new Bilsteins on the front. Do you think that could be the problem? Tire presure is at 115.
I didn't realize it at the time of purchase but Safari doesn't use a "flange" to cover their gaps on the slides like Winnebago, Tiffen, and other's do. I guess they depend on the seal to keep the mosture out when you moving down the road. It sure seams like a poor design to me, but what do I know. I don't see anyone complaining about it.
One thing that I have done something about is the wheel wells. The left rear appeared to be failing only protected by the the fiberglass matting that runs underneath the entire sub floor in the coach. I'm really surprised that it came from the factory that way and called Monaco tech support about it. They said they have had no complaints. Our Winnebago had aluiminum in those area's, and that's what I did with the left rear,installed some sheets of aluiminum, sealed all seams with seam sealer and undercoated it. Now I have three more wheel wells to do.
Sorry to go on I'm just frustrated, I traded our Winnebago Sightseer for this as I use a motorhome for my business ( motorcycle vendor and travel around the country towing an enclosed trailer with our goods) and I've been looking for a good DP for quit a while. I thought I found one in this Sahara with only 22K on it, but I'm not sure, I guess time will tell.

K1200LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #2

I've only had it a month and I have had one problem after another. I looked at many used coachs and settled on this one as it was far better then all of the rest. Still you don't know what you have until you start using it.
The worst problem was the accessory solenoid going south which left me stranded in the middle of an intersection completly dead! Not fun to say the least.
A few of the rest are, bad leaks around roof vents, broken drain pipe underneath stove from sink, replaced leaking fresh water pump, overhead cabinets in slide came loose and almost fell down, replace toilet seal in toilet, a few of the day night shades broke and right now it's back at the dealer (Tiffen) where I bought it for leaking coolent res., wipers don't work all the time, and bouncing tech ( I forwarded the post on that to the dealer) . If I didn't know better I would say the Monaco builds crap....but I do know better. I suspect that the previous owner just let things go since he was trading this on a new Phaton.
Most of the things I fixed myself, the solenoid problem was fixed at a Cumins dealer where it was towed to.
I still have some other concerns;
This coach rides very hard and is jarring to say the least, it has new Bilsteins on the front. Do you think that could be the problem? Tire presure is at 115.
I didn't realize it at the time of purchase but Safari doesn't use a "flange" to cover their gaps on the slides like Winnebago, Tiffen, and other's do. I guess they depend on the seal to keep the mosture out when you moving down the road. It sure seams like a poor design to me, but what do I know. I don't see anyone complaining about it.
One thing that I have done something about is the wheel wells. The left rear appeared to be failing only protected by the the fiberglass matting that runs underneath the entire sub floor in the coach. I'm really surprised that it came from the factory that way and called Monaco tech support about it. They said they have had no complaints. Our Winnebago had aluiminum in those area's, and that's what I did with the left rear,installed some sheets of aluiminum, sealed all seams with seam sealer and undercoated it. Now I have three more wheel wells to do.
Sorry to go on I'm just frustrated, I traded our Winnebago Sightseer for this as I use a motorhome for my business ( motorcycle vendor and travel around the country towing an enclosed trailer with our goods) and I've been looking for a good DP for quit a while. I thought I found one in this Sahara with only 22K on it, but I'm not sure, I guess time will tell.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Really sorry to hear about all your problems, I can really understand and relate to your frustration....last January, I bought my 01 Dynasty DP...and I too had multiple little issues, plus of a major nature: Hyudraulic Pump failure..$1400...Air Switch failure...$800....Engine Failure...$3,000...so far this year, I have invested over $5,000 in fairly significant repairs. Your right, used is used, and despite how good it appears, and how much you check it out, you just don't know until you start using it. On a positive note...you hopefully have all the "kinks" worked out, and it will be smooth sailing from now on!!! I am sure hoping that I have all our "kinks" handled.
Safe travels!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by teofff:
Really sorry to hear about all your problems, I can really understand and relate to your frustration....last January, I bought my 01 Dynasty DP...and I too had multiple little issues, plus of a major nature: Hyudraulic Pump failure..$1400...Air Switch failure...$800....Engine Failure...$3,000...so far this year, I have invested over $5,000 in fairly significant repairs. Your right, used is used, and despite how good it appears, and how much you check it out,

WOW, guess I am now thanking my lucky stars
We bought our diplomat used--27,000 miles and then we promptly drove it to Colorado--no problems and then here to Ohio--again NO issues at all. Then there was the electrician but that is NOT a problem of the motorhome.......

Hope all is fixed on both your rigs and you have smooth travelin....

Karen
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #5

Don't feel bad K1200LT. We bought a used '98 Gulfstream and despite some "assurances" by the dealer, we are having to replace the windshields since their "crack repair" didn't take. BTW the Comprehensive insurance deductible beats +/- $2000 anytime.

I have replaced all three air suspension leveling valves, Pos-A-Lock front coach door closer/hold-opener, both waste tank valves, serpentine and AC engine belts, driveshaft u-joints, toilet seals, replaced awning pull strap, travel locks and remote lock (my bad), stove/oven thermocouple/valves (from a surplus place since NO dealer could get the correct part...even after 5 tries...) and still need to re-coat the rubber roof for piece of mind. I also see fresh water dripping out of the "plywood" cover at the bottom of the coach below the holding tanks (need to investigate this one further) and there are other items I am "looking into".

These may seem like minor issues but they do bother me, esp. when the dealer was supposed to have "gone through" the coach prior to the sale.

It is all part of buying used. I took the coach to a Cummins engine shop for a once over and they said the coach is in fairly good condition mechanically and to just drive it since it should last a loooong time with regular maintenance.

I am gratefull that I know or can figure out how to do most of these things since it saves me a bunch of cash I don't have. When I need help, this forum, the Spartan techs. and the Cummins site/dealers help a lot.

Don't get discouraged. This stuff can happen with new coaches too and some warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
First, K1200LT, I'm assuming that's your BMW bike, and we have one too... and it's my favorite of all our bikes!

Second, we purchased our coach "used", a 2006 with 10,000 miles on it... and we, too, have had a lot of "minor" issues... and one major one (generator). In our case, Monaco has come through very well, even without warranty. Before this coach we had a 2001 Beaver Marquis, and prior to that a 1995 Safari. Honestly, it seems there are often glitches, repairs, or upgrades that need to be addressed. As I often say, it doesn't matter if you spent $5,000 or $500,000, stuff is gonna break on a moving house. A sense of humor is always good to keep on board! Good luck!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the support. I'm aware of the upkeep of motorhomes, your are traveling down the road in a house on wheels and there will be things that will crop up. I'm a maintenace hound, I'm always going over the coach looking for problems and solving them before they becoming major ones. We pretty much live in a throw away society and people just don't do the required up keep on their auto/truck,rv. You can get away with it for four or five years on a car our truck but on a motorhome that's a whole other ballgame.
I still have some design issue's with Monoco though, wood sub floor in the wheel wells almost unprotected from moisture, how the slides are sealed, and the harshness of the ride but maybe Konies on the front would take care of that. The dealership that I bought it from (Tiffen) has been lack luster to say the least.......never even checking the battery water level for the house batteries which was so low I had to buy four new ones, they don't think they can fix the bouncing tech, and we'll see if they can fix some of the other things that it's there for right now. So far this has been one of the worst purchases of my life I hope I can turn it around.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
K12000LT and others, if you have an accessory solenoid and it fails like mine did and you have a jumper cable handy, just jumper around the main contacts with the cable and your back in business. Had this happen on one trip, stopped in a Walmart lot for lunch and when I went to start back up, had nothing. Traced to solenoid, so got the jumper cable and bingo I was back on the road. When you replace it and they are available from auto part stores, you must mention that it is a CONSTANT ON solenoid, makes a big difference. They are designed for being constantly on.

On another note, if you have a safari or other Monaco coach that was built on a Magnum chassis, Monaco still has in stock the calipers used on that chassis. That Monaco part number is 10301 and runs around $229. I know, had to replace one.

Hope all is well now that you got most of the minor bugs repaired. Happy camping.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #9

Thanks for the info Jim. I only had the coach a short time when the solenoid failed. We tried jumping the starter solenoid.....didn't know about the other one. In fact I was on my way to the dealer when that happened.
We have the Roadmaster chassis with air brakes so the brake caliper doesn't apply to me but maybe it will help someone else.
I just ordered some Koni's for the front...hopefully they will improve the ride.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Don't know the tire size or the weight of your coach, but you may want to get it weighed so you can adjust the tire pressures. 115 lbs is probably the pressure for max load on the axle. That is usually the way the dealers set the tire pressures.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #11

I replaced the front Bilstein shocks with the Koni FSD. The best $250.00 I have every spent on a motorhome. Gone is the bone jarring ride. Now although it rides firm it pretty much just soaks up the bumps. I'd recomend these to anyone complaining about a harsh ride.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi K1200LT -

Welcome to irv2 We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often, and when you want to be a official member of the Monaco forum just let me know.

Sorry to hear about the problems, but this is the right place to come to ask questions and get some suggestions. And it sounds like you're getting it all worked out, it's just one piece at a time.

Keep us posted,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote