RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #1

HELP! Rear Air will only produce heat

I am in the process of d-winterizing and checking out all of the systems on my 2004 Dynasty Chancellor. I was running the roof Air Conditioners and noticed that the rear unit only put out hot air. After playing with the rear thermostat for some time with no change, I called Ed at Alliance RV for advice. Ed suggested that I cut off all power and disconnect all batteries and walk away for twenty minutes or so. I left every thing off overnight and tried again the next day. Same thing with only heat being discharged from the vents. Ed suggested that the relay on the rear unit had stuck and working only the heat pump mode. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to guide me to a procedure to correct the problem.

I have a lot of experience with the autos of the 60's - 80's but now trying to get a handle on this Diesel Pusher.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
1965 Corvair Sport Sedan Toad (on trailer)
Working on a toad to tow 4 down (suggestions welcome)

PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA J View Post
I am in the process of d-winterizing and checking out all of the systems on my 2004 Dynasty Chancellor. I was running the roof Air Conditioners and noticed that the rear unit only put out hot air. After playing with the rear thermostat for some time with no change, I called Ed at Alliance RV for advice. Ed suggested that I cut off all power and disconnect all batteries and walk away for twenty minutes or so. I left every thing off overnight and tried again the next day. Same thing with only heat being discharged from the vents. Ed suggested that the relay on the rear unit had stuck and working only the heat pump mode. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to guide me to a procedure to correct the problem. I have a lot of experience with the autos of the 60's - 80's but now trying to get a handle on this Diesel Pusher. All help will be greatly appreciated. PAPA "J" 2004 Dynasty Chancellor 1965 Corvair Sport Sedan Toad (on trailer) Working on a toad to tow 4 down (suggestions welcome)
Had the same occurrence a couple of years ago. The default mode for these units is heat. There is a reversing valve that is activated by a solenoid. If you're lucky this solenoid is the problem. If it's the valve itself there is no fix.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heat from rear air

What kind of thermostat do you have ?
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Help Rear Air Conditioner only blows out hot air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Had the same occurrence a couple of years ago. The default mode for these units is heat. There is a reversing valve that is activated by a solenoid. If you're lucky this solenoid is the problem. If it's the valve itself there is no fix.
Can you tell me how to check to see if it is the solenoid or valve? And where are they located? Is the solenoid repairable?

The rear air has a Duo-Therm Comfort control thermostat
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA J View Post
Can you tell me how to check to see if it is the solenoid or valve? And where are they located? Is the solenoid repairable? The rear air has a Duo-Therm Comfort control thermostat
Go to page 34 and read C13:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/acservice.pdf

I got a mobile RV guy to come out & look at mine. He knew right away what the problem was. The solenoid is on the drivers side and sits on a section of the coolant tubing. It has a wiring pigtail.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace the front A/C unit 2 yrs ago for the same problem. The reversing valve was stuck and wouldn't move. Replaced the unit with a non-heatpump model. We never used the heat pump in the front unit. A warning note, if you have AquaHot and need to replace the unit, make sure whoever does it understands the wiring for the heat zones in your coach. The guy that did mine in Elkhart had no clue and miswired it so that the front zone heat didn't work. After a visit from a local mobile guy, who also had no clue, I determined that the original A/C unit had the controller integrated in the unit and the new A/C unit did not, requiring a new external controller box. He got the wrong box (probably something he had laying around the junk pile) and miswired the unit so as to get the A/C working and didn't check anything else. Your coach and mine are the same year and I'd bet you have the same integrated controller unit I did so if you have it replaced make sure everything works before you drive off.
Ron
Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Steve,
I'm still trying to figure out who in their right mind would have the least used function of the unit as the default function. Engineering logic tells me that not energizing a solenoid unless it's function is requested is bassakwards. The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to exercise the solenoid to try and keep it from sticking when you need it. Logically, if a solenoid or valve in an A/C unit with heat pump is going to fail you'd want it to fail with the default being the A/C not heat. When you are asking for heat and can't get it you have alternatives to fall back on, a furnace, space heater or even a coat. When the A/C fails and it's 110 in the living room you have little or no options.
If the intent was to exercise the solenoid and valve to prevent sticking it would have been a simple process to put an instruction in the firmware that cycles that valve every time you turn the unit on for whatever mode chosen. Would have saved me $800 if it worked the way I think it should.
Ron