Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Help replacing ac motor

Greetings everyone! Running with a Monaco Diplomat 2001 40pdq. I have a 13K Dometic AC with a dead motor. It was not cooling, and I took it in to be looked at. The service fellow said I had a dead motor, and suggested it would be lot cheaper to replace the motor instead. He kindly ordered a kit for me so I could do it myself. The Kit part #3108706.924.

Now for the fun part. At this point I do not have a manual for this kit, and can not find one handy online, or a youtube video to solve my problem. So here I am.

Some pictures to help us along.

Old Motor

Scene of work

New Motor

New Capacitor

Electrical Box

Motor Bay

Wires are all colored the same, but the capacitors are different. The old capacitor is coming apart. Cap comes off when you try to pull a wire. It does not look burnt though.

Please help with info on the capacitor and any tricks on getting old motor out of the fan blades without taking apart every screw on the ac unit.

Thanks Gentlemen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160315_190633.jpg
Views:	1724
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	121526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160315_190645.jpg
Views:	1470
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	121527  

Name:	IMG_20160315_192004.jpg
Views:	1467
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	121528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160315_191957.jpg
Views:	1610
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	121529  

Name:	IMG_20160315_192023.jpg
Views:	1518
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	121530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160315_192124.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	121531  

mshibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #2

I am unfamiliar with this unit but look on your new motor. It calls for a 15mfd capacitor yet the one you show is a 10mfd. It might make the motor run slow and or hot.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not near my regular computer right now so I can't point you directly to a specific service manual, but you might want to look up "bryantrv.com". They have a LOT of manuals, both operation and service, online. They are a veritable treasure-trove on info.

The reason I can remember their name so well is because I've had to use their site so many times.

Depending on the model, you may find a set-screw on the shaft that holds the squirrel-cage fan. You access it from inside the coach, looking up at the fan. Or I may be thinking of a different model (too many repairs to remember them all )

Good luck!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the motor on my Dometic AC unit, wasn't that bad. I bought a replacement fan motor from Adventure RV, it was an open box special, coast ~$110

You have the top of the AC unit off. You will have to take out all the sheet metal screws on the outside blower fan, it will have to be taken off when your remove the motor.

Take the 4 mounting screws out that hold the motor in place.

Disconnect the wires to the motor, mark them, take pictures, make notes, know how they go back.

Here is the trick on the inner fan blade.
Take out the sheet metal screws on the top sheet metal for the inside fan and bend the sheet metal up enough to get at the fan blade. The inside fan is held on with a band clamp, there is 1 screw in it, if you look closely there is a hole in the fan directly above this screw, turn the fan slowly and you will see it, this is how they secure it after they have it on the shaft. Loosen this screw and you should be able to pull the fan off the shaft and leave in the enclosure.

You should now be able to take the motor and the exterior fan shroud off the AC unit. Take the assembly to your work bench and you should be able to work on getting the fan blade off the old motor. Put the new motor in place and secure the fan blade to it. You should be able to take the unit up on the roof to install. You probably got a short tube of Styrofoam, this ones on the motor shaft before you install the inner fan blade, it has adhesive on one side and you put it on so that it aligns with the motor shaft hole. Now slip the inner fan onto the shaft and once you get it to the right distance on the shaft you can secure the band clamp going through the hole in the fan blade.

Attach the motor to the AC unit with the 4 new mounts. Secure the exterior fan shroud to the AC unit. Wire up the motor. Replace the start capacitor. You should be ready to test.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

Sometimes the removal of a few more screws can change the job from a PITA to a much easier job.. previous poster mention about MFD rating of fan motor run capacitor be sure to match MFD to listing on the motor. make sure you install new motor to match rotation of existing. Mark the distance on the shaft of the fan for the condenser fan blade to maintain same distance as original. ( not sure if new motor and old motor have same shaft lengths) if not you may have to cut them if they interfere with other components.

Good luck
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

I just noticed your existing motor is a 42Y frame and your new motor is a 48Y frame. check all you motor dimensions especially motor shaft diameter It could be ok I may be looking at an old chart for frame specifications and changes could have been made after chart was printed. 42Y shows 3/8 shaft 48Y shows 1/2 shaft just something to check before you get started
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
All good ideas & suggestions... and important ones.

What makes me wonder now is if mshibler got the right kit. Yes, that is a replacement fan kit, but maybe for a different model AC. If not, why would the cap have a different rating, and why would the motor maybe not be a drop-in replacement?

I've replaced more than a few over the years, and every one was a form/fit/function match.

I hope you confirm it, before possibly having to do that job twice
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a site that you can check for replacement parts for Dometic
https://edometic.com/

Click on the product you want >>> AC
Click on the model you have
Find the product model #

It will then bring up a parts list, in the upper right hand corner there is a link to a parts diagram, click on this if you don't know what you need.

If there is a new part number or kit it will tell you and you should be able to see whether the one you got is the correct one.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #9

Thank you very much Sirs! I will be looking into all the above suggestions, and getting back with you all on the result. That capacitor came in the kit bag with the new motor. Funny thing is, it matches the old motor, not the new one. I will be sure to get one that matches. It looks like it may be next Tuesday before I get to this again. Sure do appreciate the input.
mshibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
The motor pictured above is the exact motor I need, but my googling skills are failing me today. Can anyone help me find this motor please? Here is my old motor...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150103_163225.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	129565  
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I am unfamiliar with this unit but look on your new motor. It calls for a 15mfd capacitor yet the one you show is a 10mfd. It might make the motor run slow and or hot.
That's probably a starting capacitor. Shouldn't affect running if it'll start the motor.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I see two pictures of motors in this thread, one a frame 42y and the other a 48Y. You need the 48Y?.

Different poster, never mind.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Motors can be rebuilt almost anywhere. It might be easier to have it rebuilt than replaced.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's a motor for the OP.

AO SMITH DOMETIC F42C38A61 3106071.016 1650 RPM 3 Spd 115V 3.3A 1/4 HP Fan Motor – GZSupplies.com