Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #15

Is there perhaps another "salesman switch" in the front electrical panel that got bumped by accident? Our 2001 DS has one. We never use it, but once it got switched off by accident, and we had similar symptoms to yours. Worth a shot!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
The "wait to start" and all the other warning lights for the prestart don't come on. Just the rear camera comes on when I cycle the key to the prestart position.
My rear camera comes on when I'm in Reverse. My start is disabled when I'm in Reverse. Are you in Reverse?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Another thought, any chance you could have bumped your ignition switch in engine compartment to rear start, not sure if that would cause problem.
That is a good idea for me to check out. I installed a new air filter last month so perhaps I did accidentally hit the rear start switch. I'm going to check that and some other things that these always helpful fellow rv people have posted for me.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Is there perhaps another "salesman switch" in the front electrical panel that got bumped by accident? Our 2001 DS has one. We never use it, but once it got switched off by accident, and we had similar symptoms to yours. Worth a shot!
I checked that but no such luck.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My rear camera comes on when I'm in Reverse. My start is disabled when I'm in Reverse. Are you in Reverse?
Mine comes on as soon as the ignition is on.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #20

Relays look like early ford starter solenoids, you should have a total of (4), they can be purchased at your local Napa auto parts house, they should be 80 Amp Continuous Duty, I have replaced 3 of mine and keep a spare in tool box. See attach photo, shiny solenoid to right is what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002 Monaco Exec Big Boy 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	198635  
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Relays look like early ford starter solenoids, you should have a total of (4), they can be purchased at your local Napa auto parts house, they should be 80 Amp Continuous Duty, I have replaced 3 of mine and keep a spare in tool box. See attach photo, shiny solenoid to right is what you are looking for.
Thank u...I will check that out tomorrow first thing.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
You did check the engine cut off switch in the engine compartment correct?
I hit mine once changing a taillight.....
Old 04-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think the shiny thing in the photo is a solenoid. Relays are (usually) black cubes roughly 1x1x1" that have 4 or 5 wires attached. Both are readily available at auto parts stores.
I have had a number of fail-to-start problems that were (eventually) resolved by replacing solenoids or relays, but never had a completely dead dash. It sounds like a solenoid or relay is stuck. Could it be the solenoid that the salesman switch controls? Do you have 12 power in the coach?

Solenoids can often be "unstuck" by rapping on them with the handle of a large screwdriver, or by momentarily applying 12v to the trigger terminals.

Cheers,
Old 04-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
That is a good idea for me to check out. I installed a new air filter last month so perhaps I did accidentally hit the rear start switch. I'm going to check that and some other things that these always helpful fellow rv people have posted for me.
I hit that rear start switch a few years ago by accident. 3 ring circus trying to figure out what was wrong and coach wouldn't start. DW made up this flyer for me to rub it in. We laugh about it now.If this Coach won.pdf
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I've accidentally hit my rear start switch a couple of times.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
I think the shiny thing in the photo is a solenoid. Relays are (usually) black cubes roughly 1x1x1" that have 4 or 5 wires attached. Both are readily available at auto parts stores.
I have had a number of fail-to-start problems that were (eventually) resolved by replacing solenoids or relays, but never had a completely dead dash. It sounds like a solenoid or relay is stuck. Could it be the solenoid that the salesman switch controls? Do you have 12 power in the coach?

Solenoids can often be "unstuck" by rapping on them with the handle of a large screwdriver, or by momentarily applying 12v to the trigger terminals.

Cheers,
Yep have 12 volt power in the coach. All seems normal except for the start function of the ignition. I'm going to try some rapping, among other things.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I hit that rear start switch a few years ago by accident. 3 ring circus trying to figure out what was wrong and coach wouldn't start. DW made up this flyer for me to rub it in. We laugh about it now.Attachment 198678
LOL...so very true!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
I've accidentally hit my rear start switch a couple of times.
I can only hope that is the problem but I'm usually not the lucky.

Going to find out tomorrow morning as soon as the storage lot opens.

We had a hard winter up here in Western Canada. I'm thinking extended periods of 30 below followed by rapid warming then back to 30 below is not easy on 15 year old electrical components.

Exactly a year ago I fired up the engine in preparation of a two week vacation and I discovered most of my smart wheel was not functioning. Ordered and installed a new control board as per VIP tech support determination. That did nothing so ordered new control boards for the steering wheel. VIP mistakenly sent me another control board. Finally got the right parts which solved the problem. However that all took a month which ended our planned trip.