Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Help with rear air bag dump valves

When I push the panel switch to dump air only the front bags deflate. The rears do not do anything. The first photo below is the two blue valves/solenoids that I think controls the bags.....is that true??

If it is where does the air go?? I see a line going in one side but the other side is capped. Maybe they were leaking and someone in the past capped them??

The second photo is the front setup.....only similarity is the blue color. There is an outlet where the air escapes when I hit the switch.

The third photo is an air line....I think?? It terminates right in the center of the engine compartment right above the trailer hitch. It has no air pressure when I remove the cap and it does not release air when I hit the dump valve. Does anyone know what this line could be?? It goes up toward the rear tank but it gets lost in a large wiring bundle so would be very hard to trace.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	142645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	142646  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	142647  
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The third one can be used to fill your air tanks from an external source.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'd say you have an electrical issue with the two rear dump valves since they operate separately. Could be a blown fuse. The last picture looks like a disconnected air line. Since it ends at the engine I'd think exhaust brake.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

I have an air fitting upfront that was factoring installed with the standard air hose connection so don't think it would be that.

Monaco coaches came with Factory installed PAC brake so don't think it would be anything to do with the exhaust brake, also it ends nowhere near the exhaust side of the engine.

For the dump valves........If it is an electrical issue then both are affected, the front ones work so don't think they would be fused separately, can someone tell me where the air goes when they are deflated? I do not see an outlet like the picture of the front ones show.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On each of the dump solenoid valves there is a open port that the air exhausts out of.

There have been reports of mud dabbers blocking these ports preventing the air from getting out.

One test would be to loosen the line going to the solenoid valve and see if the air exhausts. Next would be to check the voltage going to the valve when the switch is pushed, if there is no voltage there is something else wrong.

Agree with the the fuse, if the front works then the back should.

The air line at the back of the engine might be a line to hook up a braking system for a toad. Take the cap off and press the brake and see if air exhausts.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

Jacwjames, The only other outlet on the valve is capped, did you look at my picture?

I guess I will remove the caps and see if anything happens.

I would love to see a picture of someone else's valves that are similar to these.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

Come on guys, can someone with an older Monaco look at their rear dump valve and snap a picture so I can see if I am missing something? They are mounted on the frame on the right side of the engine in plain view with the engine hood raised.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The ones in my 2000 Dynasty don't look like yours.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

Those are the dump valves, very similar to the ones on my 99 Exec. They are not capped - what looks like a cap is a sintered bronze filter - supposed to keep those mud daubers etc out. Each valve dumps the bags on one side of the coach, Electrically they are hooked together - one wire out of each valve is a ground - the other goes to the dump valve switch. you can check for power with a test light or you can jumper 12v to the hot lead and they should open.
Kurt Averill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #10

OK thanks, will check that, so does the air escape through that bronze sintered fitting?

If so mine appear to be clogged, the sintered portion is corroded and appears to be totally blocked.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

Yes - it passes through it like fuel through a fuel filter... mine were really corroded like yours and I thought they might be slowing the flow of air - couldn't find any locally so I bought a whole bag off flea bay - though they looked bad they were still flowing fine. just google "sintered bronze vent fitting" and some photos will come up - its a pretty tight matrix. I'd be shocked if they are corroded badly enough to completely block the air flow - and given that neither of them are working I'd say its much more likely you've got a small wiring issue.
Kurt Averill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #12

Thanks, you are probably correct in that I would be getting some airflow so hopefully it's something easy like a bad ground but I will check into it further next week, thanks again

Old 10-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My Windsor just had small holes in the air manifold to exhaust the air. Mud daubers had completely clogged the holes with mud! I used a drill bit the same size as the hole and removed the mud. I didn't use a drill motor, just the bit in my hand. !
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #14

I have a 98 Dynasty and there are elbow fitting in mine that are open to air. I think the elbows are in mine which face down are in there so nothing gets in the open outlet. Take
the plugs out and it will work. When you get the plugs out check to see it they are leaking
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote