RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We have 2008 Beaver Contessa Westport that has Mid room TV and a TV above dash and one in BR. I am not happy with the qality of the picture on the main big screen TV. I have had dealer(Lazydays) check it twice and all I get is "that the way it is". I tried to find out where all the cables come from and go to but not being too good at taking the coach apart I can only determine the following: The main feed appears to come into a splitter above the dvd player above dash, there are 4 out points on this splitter, one to BR, one to bay, one to "somewhere" and then there is one that powers both the overhead dash AND the main LR TV. It appears that this line must go to another splitter(I cant get to or even see!) that powers the dash and LR tv. I would think that the mainTV should have a direct feed for better quality? Also when I disconnect the main feed ,it also disconnects the antenna feed? Would and inline booster help? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I dont have sat but do have the cables in overhead, I am considering buying the SAt to get abetter picture but dont know enough to determine if this would fix the problem. Sure feel dumb when it comes to electronics!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have 2008 Beaver Contessa Westport that has Mid room TV and a TV above dash and one in BR. I am not happy with the qality of the picture on the main big screen TV. I have had dealer(Lazydays) check it twice and all I get is "that the way it is". I tried to find out where all the cables come from and go to but not being too good at taking the coach apart I can only determine the following: The main feed appears to come into a splitter above the dvd player above dash, there are 4 out points on this splitter, one to BR, one to bay, one to "somewhere" and then there is one that powers both the overhead dash AND the main LR TV. It appears that this line must go to another splitter(I cant get to or even see!) that powers the dash and LR tv. I would think that the mainTV should have a direct feed for better quality? Also when I disconnect the main feed ,it also disconnects the antenna feed? Would and inline booster help? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I dont have sat but do have the cables in overhead, I am considering buying the SAt to get abetter picture but dont know enough to determine if this would fix the problem. Sure feel dumb when it comes to electronics!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It may be the splitter. A good quality Digital splitter will help with reception. I had the same problem on my home TV's and that worked.
Just a thought.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
O.K. An 08 Beaver with no switchbox??? How do you separate cable and antenna and DVD??
Going from what you are describing, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there are 4 out points on this splitter, one to BR, one to bay, one to "somewhere" and then there is one that powers both the overhead dash AND the main LR TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the first thing I would try to determine is what cable feeds the main TV.. The cable that feeds the LR tv may have a bad connection on one end or the other. This is what the problem sounds like..
If you haven't already done so, pull the cables off one at a time from this 4 way splitter and see what they do..(they may be mis-labled), ours were..
An inline booster probably would do no good, the cable runs are too short to need it.
Adding a satellite would just add another confusing input and would not solve any existing problem...
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There is no switch box --my 05 Knight had that box but this does not-you change cable to sat to ant thru the TVs menue. I did sep the cables comimng in--there is one cable that come from the splitter that feeds both the main LR TV and the overhead dash TV. I call Monaco and they just faxed me the wiring diagram for the beaver--now if I can make sence of it,
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,

If your still at Lazydays, go over to the shop area and ask someone for Kevin Bounds and have him look at it. He is good. If you see him tell Kevin that I said hi.

Jim Jones
ex LD Rv Tech
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tom.....Is your picture bad when you play a DVD? An LCD TV is going to have a crummy picture when you run it from the antenna. It won't improve until you get digital input such as a Sat Dome.

If it's bad all the time, then you might have some cable issues. That somewhere connection probably goes to your passenger side storage bay for an outdoor TV.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,
Our switch box is powered, which means the antenna signal input is amplified before it is split. Your main TV is only getting one forth of the signal that the antenna is able to provide. I would think the quickest and easiest fix would be to replace your four way splitter with a powered four way splitter from Radio Shack. I'm also curious if your main TV has a digital tuner. If so as mentioned above, you should get a better picture on channel x.1 instead of channel x. Hope this helps.

CC
Old 01-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi JIM where are you guys?Bring us up todate at my email buyty@aol.com We are not at LD but when I go back I will ask for Kevin. To answer Don-dvds play perfect , thats why I think is in the connections. The main feed goes into a 4 way splitter with one of the feeds feeding to the two front TVs(thru another splitter, I guess sincve I cant see it behing the wall) In the diagrams sent to me it shows that each tv(3) and the bay area should have direct lines from the 4 way splitter but that is not the way it is set up. I did buy a four way powered splitter today but I think I want LD to wire it correctly first-so I will see what they say! Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tom...The DVD's feed through the same coax. If the DVD's play well then your connections are okay. A flat panel TV will be grainy with just antenna input. If you can get close to another RV with a Sat, run a cable over to the back side of your TV and see the difference.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our Knight came wired completely with coax. Weak. For the front TV, I ran S-Video and RCA cables and it looks so much better. For the rear, I am using S-Video and RCA audio cables for the satellite box I have back there. I still use the stock coax for antenna and viewing the picture from the front TV, and it is noticeably worse.

Still running coax in the '00s. Again, I say "weak".

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #12

All coax is not the same either. The newer stuff is much better and required for cable modem data transfer and the two way communications required for "on demand" TV.

Once the signal get to a receiver/processor, HDMI is the current best way to feed the audio/video signal to the newer TVs.

We have Apple TV and it ONLY has a HDMI interface. We feed a 32" LCD Gateway TV up front and a 22" LCD generic in the bedroom.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I did the same thing Kev did. I ran an S-Video cable from the DirecTv receiver to Input 2 of the big screen up front. What a great picture!

CC
Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
First, our Beaver has no "switch box", and as said previously, you change inputs through the remote control. Second, if it's an '08, it should be under warranty. Call Monaco, and let them fix it. It should NOT be a less than a stellar picture. IMHO, if you start changing things yourself before contacting Monaco, you may lose any help you could get from them. They have been great to us. Good luck.

Brenda, of...