Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Henderson Grants Pass

Got an appointment to take my 2011 Knight to Henderson. I know they have good reviews and I think they will get my steering problem resolved. After contacting Monaco, they told me to get it aligned. Did no good. Took it back to Monaco and they replaced the steering box. That took half of the play out. Replaced the shocks. No difference. I talked to Henderson about Safe t plus, they think it will work and that I'm going the right direction. I'm not so sure. I don't have a problem spending money at this, but I sure hate doing it for nothing.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The Safe-T-plus should help, I would also have them install the Trim kit, as that will make it even easier to drive especially in windy conditions.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What Trap's said.........deSanford PS talk to Van he has the final solution.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Diplomat always steered well, but I decided to try the Safe T Plus and found no improvement and actually hated it. It took more steering input to drive the coach. I removed it and installed the TruCenter unit. Again, my steering worked well, but the TruCenter was a huge improvement in driving/handling. No wind push or steering for road crown.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Henderson's made a dramatic improvement in my '06 Vacationer DP. I have the Safe-T-plus and it made the biggest improvement in my rig. They also installed both front and rear stabilizer bars. Our chassis are quite different (Ive got one of the few pushers built on a leaf spring chassis). They certainly made my inherently poor driving rig a lot better. It feels more like driving a big pickup now.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a Safe T Steer Plus installed on my 2003 Windsor. It did help some but like Don said, it did take more effort to turn the steering wheel. In the Windsor's case it was not noticeable until maneuvering that required a lot of steering wheel turning.

The one thing that made the most difference in reducing the tendency to wander was a wheel alignment. Your original post said that had been done but who does it can make a difference. My experience with the Windsor supported by similar accounts here, is that an alignment that puts caster at the maximum end of its tolerance and max allowable toe-in, combined with correct ride height and correct tire air pressure do the most to help eliminate wander. Adjusting caster involves work and shims. Most shops are happy to avoid changing it if it's within spec.

Henderson's is a good outfit and they'll work with you.

Vanwill has some interesting modifications that appear to be delivering good results in this thread. His suggestions are closer to the end than the beginning of the thread which is now over 700 posts long.

Wandering Coaches

Good luck with whatever you decide.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #7

We just were at Henderson on the8_th a d left very happy campers. We had a lot of play in our steering and other issues. In short It was no fun to drive and we were very unhappy that we had traded out of our truck and 5th wheel.
They drove it for over 30 minutes in several conditions, pulled it in and checked every movable joint, bushing etc. Weighed it on all 4 corners, measured all the angles etc etc
They fixed the tow , replaced a worn ujoint on the steering box,adjusted our steering box and got all of our tires to the correct _psi. Then we drove it again and couldn't believe the improvement. We opted to add the Stabilizer bar. We are so happy. I could steer it with one finger now. We really liked our service. Never felt pushed about what we would or wouldn't buy.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote