Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Here is one many will appreciate.

I've been having intermittent problems with the electric step. It seemed to work in hot weather, wet weather, and cold weather, but not if it snows. Up here we get some snow.

Had it looked at by several techs, but all they could do was lubricate it. It seemed to be working fairly well for the last two months until I got home last Wednesday. You guessed it, it was snowing.

Pulled up in front of the house, turned on the lights over the driver's seat (wired to the chassis, controlled by turning the headlamp switch counter clockwise), and opened the door. The step didn't budge. Pulled out a step stool so we could get in and out, and started unloading.

An hour later decided to close it up for the night, and I don't like leaving anything drawing from the starter batteries running, so I turned off the lights over the driver's seat.

The instant I turned the switch the step came out. Really makes you love your motorhome.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I've been having intermittent problems with the electric step. It seemed to work in hot weather, wet weather, and cold weather, but not if it snows. Up here we get some snow.

Had it looked at by several techs, but all they could do was lubricate it. It seemed to be working fairly well for the last two months until I got home last Wednesday. You guessed it, it was snowing.

Pulled up in front of the house, turned on the lights over the driver's seat (wired to the chassis, controlled by turning the headlamp switch counter clockwise), and opened the door. The step didn't budge. Pulled out a step stool so we could get in and out, and started unloading.

An hour later decided to close it up for the night, and I don't like leaving anything drawing from the starter batteries running, so I turned off the lights over the driver's seat.

The instant I turned the switch the step came out. Really makes you love your motorhome.
And your point is?
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #3

For sure check the ground wire. Regardless of how it looks remove the ground wire and take sandpaper and clean the metal very well. Clean the wire terminal too. Reinstall and my bet is like the postman, "neither rain nor sleet nor snow". Will keep the step from working Every time.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #4

Re-label the light switch to "Cold weather step switch"
Your step and that (and possibly other) light(s) must be on the same feed, look for bad connections and repair...
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I second the ground wire idea (actually I like relabeling the switch better , it's easier).

If that (those?) don't work, you might also want to check connections at the control box. If I remember correctly, there is a connector near it that could get corroded also. I had to replace two control boxes over the years until I decided to move it to a more-protected spot out of the weather. Now no more problems.

Oh, and NEVER get your head under the stairs when troubleshooting! I firmly believe there is a hidden sensor that will make the step fly out whenever it senses you're under it. The steps are stronger than your face! Do you really need to ask me how I'd know that?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Relocate to a State with no snow. My guess is also a terminal corroded not allowing enough voltage to run the step motor. Are you kicking up slush from the front tire maybe?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #7

Rivratron - I think you'r on to something.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Did your "techs" test the actual door switch that operates the motor? You might have corrosion there or moisture from the snow is getting into the door switch.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroluca View Post
Did your "techs" test the actual door switch that operates the motor? You might have corrosion there or moisture from the snow is getting into the door switch.
And to RVTIPS question, a few years ago the step wasn't working, so I pulled the whole mechanism out and rebuilt it. On bench testing it the control module was done, so I replaced it, got it all working beautifully on the bench, re-installed it and it wouldn't work.

Turned out the wires from the magnetic switch had an unprotected connection hanging directly in front of the front tire - actually hanging in the air a few inches from the tire. It had corroded to the point that it would pass a micro-voltage but the resistance was too high to activate the step. This was tricky because it showed a correct voltage on the multi-meter, but when exposed to any current it dropped to almost zero volts.

This is very hard to show unless you use an old fashioned volt meter - the modern multi-meters don't put any draw on the circuit.

Cut out the connector, replaced it and protected it with heat shrink tubing, and it has been fine ever since.

My point is - isn't owning a motor home a constant source of amusement?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

I have had the same trouble with my step. I found a poor connection and that has helped. I will check all my connections in the next day or so. But in the snow is the worst and I'm not going to avoid snow as I love skiing and my rig is all set up for snow.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote