RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

Hey, Monaco owners, I need an answer??

I've been home about a week with my new Signature and last night I realized that there is a light on at night on my coach exterior and can't find out how to turn it off????
It is an oblong, orange light that actually looks like a reflector on the side of the coach, just in front of the back tire. The light is so faint in the daytime that you don't notice it but at night it is very noticeable.
PLEASE some one tell me how to turn this off. I can't find it in the book anywhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If this is an amber clearance light, that are generally just ahead of the rear wheels, it should not be on. They come on with the parking/headlights so it should go off with those. But I'm speaking of my 08 Camelot so your coach may vary.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmax View Post
I've been home about a week with my new Signature and last night I realized that there is a light on at night on my coach exterior and can't find out how to turn it off????
It is an oblong, orange light that actually looks like a reflector on the side of the coach, just in front of the back tire. The light is so faint in the daytime that you don't notice it but at night it is very noticeable.
PLEASE some one tell me how to turn this off. I can't find it in the book anywhere.
If none of the other clearance lites are on it is probably a high resistance short to a 12v source in the wiring to that lamp only. Is that the only one that is affected? Does it come on with the rest of them when you turn the headlights on? I'm trying to imagine the conditions for this to occur and it's pretty remote. If that lamp doesn't come on with the rest I'd say a high resistance short to a power source and the siring to that lamp from its intended source of power is open.
Ron
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Yes, it is the amber clearance light and this light on both sides stays on all the time but dimmer than when parking lights are turned on. With parking lights on, both of these lights are much brighter??
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, it is the amber clearance light and this light on both sides stays on all the time but dimmer than when parking lights are turned on. With parking lights on, both of these lights are much brighter??
In your electrical bay, where the battery cutoff switches are, first turn the chassis switch to off and check the lite. Then turn the chassis switch back on and do the same with the house switch. Another thing you might try is to unplug the coach from any a/c power source then, at the inverter control panel, shut the inverter off so it isn't making any a/c power, then check the lite. I'm really curious as to where the power is coming from and what its value is. This will only tell you what's providing the source for power, not why it's doing it.
Ron
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

We have a 98 DutchStar that does that on both sides when an interior ceiling lite is turned on? When interior lite is turned off, they go off. They work normally otherwise.
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #7

pusherpilot,

I tried all you mentioned but the only way the 2 lights would turn off was to turn off the battery cutoff at the battery bay.
I thought maybe it was indicating something was turned on inside and found a fantastic fan that was not all the way closed and humming, I manually finished closing the fan and the humming stopped.....hoped that was it but it wasn't.
??????
Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
pusherpilot,

I tried all you mentioned but the only way the 2 lights would turn off was to turn off the battery cutoff at the battery bay.
I thought maybe it was indicating something was turned on inside and found a fantastic fan that was not all the way closed and humming, I manually finished closing the fan and the humming stopped.....hoped that was it but it wasn't.
??????
Which battery cutoff switch? House or chassis?
Ron
Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #9

I had a Lazy Days service tech call me today and confirm that this light is a problem that will require a visit to the service bay.
Thanks for all your help
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I had a Lazy Days service tech call me today and confirm that this light is a problem that will require a visit to the service bay.
Thanks for all your help
When it is resolved please let us know what it was!
Ron
Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #11

Ron,
Will do but I may wait until I get back to Lazy Days next Jan before doing anything with it. Right now I don't think it's really causing me any problem unless I plan to be without shore power for weeks. Then I'll just turn off battery switch.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ron,
Will do but I may wait until I get back to Lazy Days next Jan before doing anything with it. Right now I don't think it's really causing me any problem unless I plan to be without shore power for weeks. Then I'll just turn off battery switch.
My guess, and only a guess, that this is a problem that has been with the coach since it was manufactured. You could start pulling fuses to try and locate which circuit the lights are receiving a reduced voltage from. Since they are dim when the running lights are turned off I suspect they have somehow been shorted or wired in series with some other circuit or device.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 AM   #13

I think you're probably right and I have a feeling it will take lots of time to track it down. That's why I'm going to try and wait until I go back to Lazy Days in Jan, to have my 30day warranty items repaired. I've reported it to them and they have it on their list to take care of it when I get there.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think you're probably right and I have a feeling it will take lots of time to track it down. That's why I'm going to try and wait until I go back to Lazy Days in Jan, to have my 30day warranty items repaired. I've reported it to them and they have it on their list to take care of it when I get there.
You dodged a big bullet. It is covered on warranty and these things can take days to find!!
Ron