Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Holding tank heating pads?

Does anyone know if holding tank heating pads are an option on our 2005 HR Ambassador. Next to my wet bay heater switch there is a light and to the right of the light there is another switch on the control panel. Today it was 24 degrees F. I turned on the wet bay heater and the switch lite up as did the light next to the switch. I turned on the switch to the right of the light and it lite up. The problem is when I turned on the second switch there was no change in current draw. So I don't know if I have holding tank heating pads and they are not working or if I don't have the heating pads. If the holding tank heating pads are an option, is there a easy way to tell if I have them? Thanks for any help you can give.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I believe you can contact Monaco with your VIN # and they will e-mail a copy of your invoice. I did this In May of 2012...#877-466-6226 Hope this helps.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
Does anyone know if holding tank heating pads are an option on our 2005 HR Ambassador. Next to my wet bay heater switch there is a light and to the right of the light there is another switch on the control panel. Today it was 24 degrees F. I turned on the wet bay heater and the switch lite up as did the light next to the switch. I turned on the switch to the right of the light and it lite up. The problem is when I turned on the second switch there was no change in current draw. So I don't know if I have holding tank heating pads and they are not working or if I don't have the heating pads. If the holding tank heating pads are an option, is there a easy way to tell if I have them? Thanks for any help you can give.
b-Bota,

According to the schematic I have posted below this text the thermal snap disk controls both the wet bay 12 VDC heater and the optional tank heating pads. If the System Heat lamp was illuminated (both lamps on) it means the snap disk has turned on the system and if the pads are there they will turn on at the same time. I would expect the current draw to be constant. One way to test if the heating pads are there is when the system heat is on (both lamps lit) go unplug the wet bay heater. If the current drops but is still present then you have heating pads. If the current goes to zero then you do not have heating pads. Of course this statement assumes you are seeing only the current from the system heat. If other current draws are present then you would have to have a current reading before the system heat comes on and then another reading after the system heat comes on and a third reading after you unplug the wet bay heater. Most coaches have the wet bay heater without the heating pads. That is the way ours is. I have had the wet bay apart quite a few times and have seen the dangling plugs that would plug into the pads if they were there.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry Nodine.
If you look at your schematic the power to the heater pad goes to the relay before the snap switch. When the bay heater switch is turned on, the heating pads are turned on and power is applied to the bay heater. When the snap is activated by cold weather it puts 12volts to the bay heater and turns it on the bay heater internal relay.
On my rig (2001 diplomat) since the heater pads were an option the fuses for the heater pads are in the battery bay back wall.
Yes when the pads are turned on there should be a significant amp draw. Although on my rig the heater pads are connected directly off the battery and will not show amp usage on the amp gauge inside your rig. You will have to use an amp meter in series with the fuse.
I hope that helps.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

My control panel has a read out for AC amps. My thinking is that if I turn on the tank heaters without the wet bay heater plugged in I would see an increase in AC amps do to the converter charging the batters. I did this and had it on long enough so I'm sure I would have seen some increase in AC current. No difference with the switch on or off. I have concluded that I don't have the tank heaters. I'm thinking I well keep the MH winterized until we get to warm weather. Looks like we will be leaving in 7 degree F temperature. Thanks for the replies and everyone's help.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Wouldn't those tank heaters operate on 12 VDC? It that's the case they you wouldn't see any change on the AC load indicator would you?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

MSHappyCampers, the tank heaters are 12v. With the MH plug into AC eventually as the 12v batteries are drawn down and the converter kicks on to charge the batteries I would see two things one the AC amps increase to power the converter and two the converter come on. After an hour I didn't see the converter come on or the AC current increase. I believe there are no tank heaters and because we are leaving soon I decided to leave the MH winterized. We haven't had this MH very long so eventually I would like to get a build sheet then I would know for sure.
Harry
Old 12-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
It would take quite a while for the draw of 12 v heat pads to draw the battery down far enough to cause the converter/charger to jump to a higher charging state. Best way to tell is as Rick said, put an amp meter between batteries and cable, your indirect method of monitoring 120v isn't going to show much direct evidence. If you can access the wires or fuses that would supply the heat pads, you could take readings there. Also, a remote thermometer in the wet bay can tell you if the heater is enough to keep tanks from freezing, you might not need heat pads too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Sorry Nodine.
If you look at your schematic the power to the heater pad goes to the relay before the snap switch. When the bay heater switch is turned on, the heating pads are turned on and power is applied to the bay heater. When the snap is activated by cold weather it puts 12volts to the bay heater and turns it on the bay heater internal relay.
On my rig (2001 diplomat) since the heater pads were an option the fuses for the heater pads are in the battery bay back wall.
Yes when the pads are turned on there should be a significant amp draw. Although on my rig the heater pads are connected directly off the battery and will not show amp usage on the amp gauge inside your rig. You will have to use an amp meter in series with the fuse.
I hope that helps.
Rick
Rick,

My bad and you are correct. I did not take a close look and did what the old saying says about ASSume.

Bob
Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-Bota View Post
MSHappyCampers, the tank heaters are 12v. With the MH plug into AC eventually as the 12v batteries are drawn down and the converter kicks on to charge the batteries I would see two things one the AC amps increase to power the converter and two the converter come on. After an hour I didn't see the converter come on or the AC current increase. I believe there are no tank heaters and because we are leaving soon I decided to leave the MH winterized. We haven't had this MH very long so eventually I would like to get a build sheet then I would know for sure.
Harry
After being embarrassed by Rick's observation I took a closer look at the schematic and noticed that each heating pad draws 9 amps. If you plan to measure current with a series connected meter is will need to be capable of at least 30 amps full scale.

Bob