RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler A/C junction box location

We have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Imperial, 43í. The rear A/C (one of three) has stopped working. Itís on the same breaker switch with the washer/dryer, which are working fine. Technician thinks the problem is in a junction box somewhere above the ceiling. Does anyone know where that wiring is located?

Tijeras Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The junction box for each A/C unit is in the ceiling above the A/C intake air filter just below the actual A/C unit. Drop the ceiling cover inside the rear of the coach and remove the filter. You will see the metal junction box with 110v wiring.

If there is no power to that junction box, then you have to find the relay that splits the power to the A/C and the washer. They are usually behind the washing machine, but I have also seen them located inside the main electrical circuit breaker box or behind the dryer. You will need to slide the washing machine out and check behind it.

Does your rear thermostat still see the rear A/C unit?

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That's odd they used the same breaker for the washer / dryer, and one of the AC's .
Do you have stacked W/D, or a single unit?
Old 10-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe it's a split breaker?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

Vito pretty much nailed it. On our coach it is behind the washer/dryer unit. The box has a relay in it. That relay's normal status is to pass power thru to the A/C when the load will be within the capabilities of the 20 amp circuit from the breaker panel. In other words, normal is with both the washer/dryer and the air conditioner powered. It senses the current demand on the washer/dryer, and when it exceeds a certain value, it operates the relay to disable the power to the A/C so as not to overload the 20 amp breaker circuit. Under normal conditions, we will hear the A/C toggle in and out a number of times during the process of washing and drying a load of laundry. I've not noticed, but I'm pretty sure the A/C would be disabled thru the entire drying process.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
If there is no power to that junction box, then you have to find the relay that splits the power to the A/C and the washer. They are usually behind the washing machine, but I have also seen them located inside the main electrical circuit breaker box or behind the dryer. You will need to slide the washing machine out and check behind it.

Does your rear thermostat still see the rear A/C unit?
Follow Vito's troubleshooting advice, if it turns out that there is no 120VAC at the junction box, the relay he mentions is an Automatic Select Switch Intellitec 00-00714-000 https://www.ebay.com/p/1648882177 That switch turns off power to the rear A/C when the washing machine is on and it's not uncommon for it to fail. I replaced mine as they aren't expensive but some folks eliminate it and hardwire around it.

The 2007 Imperial wiring drawing 38031173 for the states it is located "next to washer/dryer receptacle, next to main breaker box, behind TV or under bedroom wardrobe" I don't have the 2008 Imperial diagram. Mine was under a false floor panel in the rear closet (wardrobe).
Old 10-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Follow Vito's troubleshooting advice, if it turns out that there is no 120VAC at the junction box, the relay he mentions is an Automatic Select Switch Intellitec 00-00714-000 https://www.ebay.com/p/1648882177 That switch turns off power to the rear A/C when the washing machine is on and it's not uncommon for it to fail. I replaced mine as they aren't expensive but some folks eliminate it and hardwire around it.
WOW! I have never heard of or seen this before. It is actually pretty neat, but I would instead of replacing it, would go to a manual DPDT switch to swap the power. Hard wiring around it could lead to other problems.
Thanks for teaching me something new!

Stay cool
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijeras Two View Post
We have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Imperial, 43í. The rear A/C (one of three) has stopped working. Itís on the same breaker switch with the washer/dryer, which are working fine. Technician thinks the problem is in a junction box somewhere above the ceiling. Does anyone know where that wiring is located?
Check to see how many wires are on the breaker, and/or on the power management board next to the breaker box. I don't think they would have buried a junction box, places where I have found boxes are in areas such as under the bed (under the plywood cover), under the bottom of cabinets, etc. But generally for something like this either both circuits would route back to the breaker box, or if there were a junction box it would be near the closest to the breaker box item (for us that is the washer dryer which is under the breaker box!)

nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, holiday rambler