Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Exclamation Holiday Rambler HELP PLEASE!

Hi everyone! A little background. This is my first posting. I joined last year when we purchased our rv and have enjoyed reading and learning from various posts since. We are complete newbies to rv’ing and have a goal of becoming semi (4-6 months) full timers. We purchased our 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38’ DP in May 2018 site unseen. The husband dared me at 1:30 in the morning to find a class A that I could remodel, in his price range, with low miles and had to be a diesel on a freightliner chassis. Challenge excepted, by 4:00am he had an email from me and by 1:00pm I booked his flight!😂 He landed in Texas, took an Uber to the location of the rv and my husband drove it home to NY in a whirlwind 3 days. Talk about trial by fire! Don’t ever dare me!😉 The interior is now 90% remodeled, I’m almost done. The only thing that will remain original is the kitchen & bedroom cabinetry, however some have been removed and the remaining have been painted. Last summer we were only able to take 3 trips, Texas-NY, NY-Maine, NY-VA. This summer we were lucky enough to have the opportunity for a permanent spot on a beautiful lake in NY which will become our summer residence. So this summer’s trips have been to the lake.

Onto our THREE PROBLEMS. We have had ZERO problems with Delilah (rv) until last Friday when we arrived at our lake campground.

Problem 1: Suddenly the two outlets in the kitchen above the counter have decided to stop working. My husband said he checked the fuse box located in the bedroom to make sure the fuse was not blown and he said it was not. Is there something else we should be looking for? Another fuse somewhere maybe? Everything else is working, fridge, microwave, AC, central vac, lights, other outlets. Currently we only have 30 amp service at our pole but have requested a 50 amp uprgrade. Because of this we know we can’t run everything at the same time, such as both AC’s but this has not been a problem with outlets. We do have a Progressive Industries surge protector hooked up leading to the pole.

Problem 2: WTH is that smell! 💩 When we arrived at camp Friday I noticed a slight unpleasant smell in the rv. This has never happened before. The prior weekend was the first time we were able to get onto our permanent site and we left the rv there instead of driving it back and forth 3 hours to home. In the past when we would drive the rv back and forth we would always completely empty our black tank, flush it out 3 times, then empty and flush our gray tank, and put Happy Camper crystals down the toilet before leaving camp. We were told the honey dipper cleaned us out after we left the prior Monday but they came again upon our arrival this Friday. I sent my husband up on the roof to make sure the sewer vent wasn’t clogged and he said it was fine. Oddly enough the smell was not coming from the separate toilet room, it seemed to be coming from under the bathroom sink cabinet which is outside of the toilet room. I checked the levels and everything was in the green. The smell only got worse through the weekend. Thank God for cool weather and open windows! The next day I checked the levels in the tanks again and the black tank was not even reading yellow, the gray tank was yellow. The fuller the gray tank got, the worse the smell was! And before some funny guy asks, there was no bodily fluids/waste accidentally deposited anywhere other than the toilet! The honey dipper came back this past Monday and cleaned us out again and the smell went away. However, I did look down the toilet immediately after they cleaned us out and I could still see toilet paper down there. 🤨 which brings me to problem #3.

Problem 3: We have a Dometic electric flush porcelain toilet. Prior owners installed it. It seams as though it gets tired after a few days of use and the open/close valve gets slower and only opens up 1/2 way before it closes again. We installed all new house batteries 1 month ago. Toilet rule is fill with bowl with water before you go and use sprayer as it’s flushing so nothing gets stuck! Truth be told, I am the only one who uses the toilet and the shower. Husband goes to the bathhouse. Works for me!😉

Any help is greatly appreciated! There are so many of you that have been doing the rv thing for so long I am looking for your wisdom! I am really good at remodeling and decorating but I leave the electrical and 💩 to the experts.

Happy Travel’s All!~Shelly
Jackalope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #2

I'll just comment quickly and I'm sure others will give more complete and/or more accurate answers in the morning.

Pertaining to #1. Check to see if a GFCI has popped. Those outlets may be on a circuit protected by a GFCI and it could have popped out and needs to be reset. Water could have splashed up somewhere and tripped it among a lot of other things that may have tripped it. It will look like a residential GFCI outlet and will be an outlet somewhere in the RV probably close to a kitchen or bathroom.

Pertaining to #2. Check the functioning of the anti-siphon vent, a common problem. Take a look at this article that explains or view the video below:

Bad Smell Coming From Under the RV Sink?

I don't know much about electric flush toilets so I'll leave that one to others to solve.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 AM   #3

Problem # 3
Our Dometic toilet acts like yours when we have low voltage from the house batteries. Check those coach batteries again. Maybe they are not getting charged from your Inverter/Charger
Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

There is also a set of breakers on the inverter. Give it a check.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
There is also a set of breakers on the inverter. Give it a check.
After a GFI tripped the above is next. The inverter will be mounted on the ceiling of a basement bay. On it (hard to see) are 2 round push to reset 120V breakers.

On the roof replace the 2 round vent covers with PVC Ts with the openings facing forward and back to eliminate the smell. You can spend $35 each for ones that pivot or $2 of the T.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #6

Those outlets are on a gfci; my gfci outlet is in the bathroom and also controls two kitchen outlets.

Put Happy Camper down the grey tank too.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I would replace the anti-siphon vent under the sink.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Your gfci is in the bath and sometimes near the kitchen sink
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #9

About the GFI, there could be one GFI recepticle and the other 2 slaved to that one. If wired in this configuration the main GFI will have reset and test buttons. The others will not. So check kitchen and bathroom (as said above) but also check the wet bay and any outlet that may be exposed to weather.
HappyCampr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

You may also have a GFI in basement, Ditto on replacing anti siphon valve under bathroom sink, very easy change out.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

Does your motorhome have a washer/dryer? If so, it is very likely the smell is being caused because the water in the trap for the washer has evaporated . If the water in the trap has evaporated, it leaves an open path to the gray tank, which can smell terrible!
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. Unfortunately we still are unable to solve the kitchen outlets suddenly not working.

They suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. The only interior GFCI is located in our bathroom. We have reset it a couple of times, but that did not do the trick. We also tried the 2 round 120V breakers on the inverter in the basement which did nothing. We have also checked all other outlets, nothing.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE? IT’S DRIVING ME CRAZY,LOL!����*♀️
Jackalope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #13

Just a thought - the GFI outlet can be checked by plugging something in to it and see if it is live. The reason I;m suggesting to check it is that very often that little reset button can be very difficult to get pushed in fully. You sometimes have to use a pen or a nearly pointed item to push it in, hard. But if the socket is live, that's not the problem.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #14

One more idea - if the GFI socket is good and the kitchen ones are not, you probably have a wire disconnected on the socket itself. It is chained to the others. Simple to pull the socket out and look at the wires.

Tags
holiday rambler