Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #1

Thanks to all you good folks for taking time to give me feedback on the CR-V. It's not under the tree yet but will be my DW's daily driver and our toad.

One year and counting to retirement and semi full timing it!

Lamar
LamarAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #2

Thanks to all you good folks for taking time to give me feedback on the CR-V. It's not under the tree yet but will be my DW's daily driver and our toad.

One year and counting to retirement and semi full timing it!

Lamar
LamarAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Lamar,

I can only comment on the 2008 CRV as that is what I have and the only Honda I have ever owned. I traded in a 2000 Saturn SL2 on the CRV. I also looked at the 2008 Saturn VUE and did not like it. It also looked and felt smaller inside than the CRV.

My wife and I both love the CRV. We have had several large and small cars and vans but this is the best of them all. I have just driven it 1,800 miles and have to say I enjoyed the drive. Handling is great, steering quick, ride smooth, and it has plenty of room for a road trip. It also tows well. I have to keep checking the backup monitor to make sure it is still there. It gets 26.5 to 27.1 mpg highway depending on how many hills and if you are using the air conditioning. I get 23-24 in town. Would I buy another one – in a heartbeat.

There I a fuse you are supposed to remove, or stop and run the engine for 30 minutes every eight hours. I don’t pull the fuse and never tow for more than eight hours anyway. The fuse is hard to get to, up under the dash on the driver’s side. You could also use a charging line from your coach.

Only problem with this being your DW’s main wheels, is they you will never get to drive it.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #4

Lamar,

We use as a daily driver (my wife) and tow our 2003 Honda CRV. This is our second CRV. The 2000 before the 03. Both great vehicles. Have about 50K miles on it and another 30,000 towed. Replaced the tires after 48,000 combined miles, which is good service from originals. Had the brakes checked (originals) and still about 1/2 the pads left. We just do the oil changes and other recommended service. Has been problem free. We have owned a lot of Hondas and they have been good vehicles for our family. And to be able to tow them is a bonus.

Make sure and go thru the steps Honda indicates in the manual. Run thru the gears and put it in neutral from drive not from reverse. And you have to circulate the transmission fluid every 8 hours (start engine for 3 minutes).

I do use a charge line and don't need to pull a fuse.

I think the newer CRV's are nicer than our 5 year old model. You should enjoy. it!
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Lamar, i have a 2003 crv, probaly towed 40000 miles so far, no problem. i will go along with rufinit, so please.
Make sure and go thru the steps Honda indicates in the manual. Run thru the gears and put it in Neutral from drive NOT FROM REVERSE. And you have to circulate the transmission fluid every 8 hours (start engine,run thru gears then leave in Neutrial for 3 minutes,leave key in acc position so steering wheel will turn). Neutrial light will stay on all the time you are towing.

I NOT use a charge line and i have towed it 12 to 14 hours some days, never had a problem with the battery.
Glenn&Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2006 has 51K on it and has been a great toad/daily driver for my DW. Ours is a manual transmisson so its a breeze to tow and gets good fuel mileage, it does pretty good in the snow too.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #7

I towed a 1999 Honda CR-V 81,000 miles and drove it another 120,000 without having the first problem. I now tow a 2007 CR-V and it has 32,000 on the odometer and has been towed 20,000 miles with no problems.

Since 1983 I have owned five Hondas and have only been to a shop for repairs one time. My 83 Accord had a fuel pump failure at 66,000 miles. My wife and I love Hondas.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote