RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the bedroom closet that sits above the engine compartment getting incredibly hot. The dealer put in some extra insulation but it is still unbearable. We have to open the engine compartment door, closet door, put a fan in the closet to exhaust heat into bedroom and turn on the rear air conditioner until it cools down a little.

Any one else????

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the bedroom closet that sits above the engine compartment getting incredibly hot. The dealer put in some extra insulation but it is still unbearable. We have to open the engine compartment door, closet door, put a fan in the closet to exhaust heat into bedroom and turn on the rear air conditioner until it cools down a little.

Any one else????

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our closet in the very rear of the coach gets a little warm by the end of the day but not to the extent you are talking about. Maybe a little worse than an outside closet of a stick house without ac in the closet. Sounds like they have not insulated it properly. Have they checked the underbelly around the engine? The engine hatch in the bedroom is always a little warm when we stop for the night.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I WISH it were warm. We put clothes in there to dry...(Just kidding). But it gets hot enough to melt plastic bags. I am about to ask Monaco if they will authorize a ceiling vent above that closet.

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't blame you. That is way, way too hot. Sounds like someone forgot to install insulation. Is your Camelot rear or side radiator? Don't know if that should make a difference but the insulation kit may be different.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #6

I have a 42 PDQ and the closet does get a little on the warm side. I was thinking of cutting a 2 inch piece of R-Max insulation and laying it on the floor to see if that helps. I'm not melting plastic or anything but in the summer it get real warm. Feels good in the winter though!

Carl
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
tjy

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Our rear bath is right over the engine w/closet
behind that, also rear radiator. The acess door
to the engine emits more heat then I think is right,but not to melt anything.
tjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I,m in total aggreement with Freemn2. I have a 2008 Camelot and the closet gets up to 136 degrees and the latches on the flor hatches get over 150 degrees. My friend has a 2008 HR Scepter and his wife made the mistake of stepping on a latch with bare feet. Ouch! These coaches were made in May/June and have the non particulate trap engines. I am thinking of fabricating a heat shield to go above the engine and below the floor to keep some of the radiated heat out of the interior. The way it is now, I have been trying a combination of fans, air conditioning, and open windows, depending where I am and the outside temperature. It takes a couple of hours to cool it down while in the southwest in the summer.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our closet is in the roadside slide. During a sunny day like yesterday it collected all of the heat and the cloths must act as insulation or something. I'd open it up and the heat just pours out. I'll have to remember to open it at night to keeps the coach warm at night. I won't keep any candles in it though.
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the engine compartment wardrobe as ours has the bed over it with no problems, even with a temperpedic mattress.
I hope Monoco comes up with a good cure for you.

AKBrick
Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 07, 42ft Camelot & the closet & latches gets hot -- I`ve added more insulation in the engine compartment & on the closet floor, but it didn`t help much -- I think that engine heat needs a better way to vent -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The radiator is on the side. The strange thing is that when I open the rear engine compartment door to help it vent, it is actually a little cooler in the engine compartment than in the closet. (Because of venting I guess). I really think that venting above the closet seems to be the logical answer. Anyone have a vent back that far?

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Happycarz

What you do to cool down the back area, (fans in the closet, windows, A/C), is exactly what I do. Winter isn't too bad, I just don't have to turn on the heaters the first day or so.

What I would really like to do is install another fan right above the closet. That way I could run down the road letting it exhaust the heat out of there or at least turn it on to cool it down upon arrival at our destination.....Is this viable or do-able? Anything back there to prevent it?

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #13

Bill & Kathy
I have the same problem with my Camelot, & have a factory appointment in Harrisburg on 01-01-08 & hot closet is the first thing on my list -- I`ve tried more insulation & such, but little help -- Bill Willard
Billy Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We don't seem to have that problem with our 04 Imperial. I wonder if the insulating foam in the rear of the coach between the rear cap and the closet is in place? We also have our W/D vented out the rear rather than the side which could help with this. Remember that a vacuum forms back there when under way.

Ron