RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Location: Full-Timer (Thousand Palms RV Resort - Inverness Fl)
This is probably "old news" to all you long time RVers but thought I'd pass it on anyway. Went to take a shower last night, turned on the hotwater so it would warm up and after about 5 seconds it stopped. No hot water anywhere in the coach - not a drop. Checked the hotwater heater and it was doing it's thing - lots of pressure and hot water at the relief valve but nothing in the coach. Tried everything possible and finally called Monaco. Tech said it sounds like a check valve was stuck at the hotwater heater - makes sense. He said it might invove tearing things apart and replacing this and that - so they were going to try and find a repair facility in our area and have them come out today. He wasn't sure where the access to the hotwater heater was, he said it depends when they built the coach (this is the only info I thought was rather off track) - anyway I found access in the bedroom closet. I moved the bypas valve handle back and forth and heard a click in the line. Checked and "bingo" hot water as usual. Another little lesson learned and at least I got to take a shower Guess if it acts up again I'll have it checked in Wildwood when I get there in April. Nothing else to fret about - we will be heading South in a couple of weeks to kinda "winter over" in Pensacola. Just wanted to pass on a little info that was new to me. Everyone have a great New Year.

MCPO Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
This is probably "old news" to all you long time RVers but thought I'd pass it on anyway. Went to take a shower last night, turned on the hotwater so it would warm up and after about 5 seconds it stopped. No hot water anywhere in the coach - not a drop. Checked the hotwater heater and it was doing it's thing - lots of pressure and hot water at the relief valve but nothing in the coach. Tried everything possible and finally called Monaco. Tech said it sounds like a check valve was stuck at the hotwater heater - makes sense. He said it might invove tearing things apart and replacing this and that - so they were going to try and find a repair facility in our area and have them come out today. He wasn't sure where the access to the hotwater heater was, he said it depends when they built the coach (this is the only info I thought was rather off track) - anyway I found access in the bedroom closet. I moved the bypas valve handle back and forth and heard a click in the line. Checked and "bingo" hot water as usual. Another little lesson learned and at least I got to take a shower Guess if it acts up again I'll have it checked in Wildwood when I get there in April. Nothing else to fret about - we will be heading South in a couple of weeks to kinda "winter over" in Pensacola. Just wanted to pass on a little info that was new to me. Everyone have a great New Year.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great job Bill. Pay yourself $100.00, pat yourself on the back and have a brewski in Florida! Have a great New Year!
AKBrick
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #4

Same thing happened to ours, Bill. When we did our walk through at DeMartini's, we noticed a leak, so their service checked it out and found a loose seal, which they fixed. BUT in the process they closed the valve and we went on our merry way. When we arrived at our spot for the night, we had NO hot water. DeMartini sent 2 service guys out to where we were staying and found the valve had been turned. They fixed that one (and a few others things). Fortunately for us, our access panel is in the basement, so it's a real easy one to get to. They showed me where the valve was just in case someone turns it again.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quick and final update. Had Atwood tech come out and he removed the t fitting and the check valve popped out (off the spring) He put it all back together so I now have hot water but can't bypass the water heater if I want to winterize (which we won't worry about for now) Heading to Florida next week and will add it to the short list for Wildwood to replace the check valve properly. In my opinion it was much better the old way with 3 gate valves that controlled the water flow. Cost was $269.00 - submitted to Monaco and they came back and said they would process the refund but the service call of $75.00 is not covered. Guess I should have read the small print in the warranty according to the Monaco people - the repair guys would have just included it in the repair cost instead of listing it as a "service call" - live and learn. At least it's working.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #6

Would someone with a Monaco or Holiday Rambler coach please go their coach, open the outside door to the hot water furnace to check which brown wire the thermal cut-off fuse is connected to.

There are two brown wires plugged into the male plug ins on the ECO, one has a small thermal fuse connected in series with it.

Facing the furnace is the thermal fuse connected to the left brown wire or the right brown wire, both wires going to the ECO.

Several weeks ago I removed the fuse while doing some tests on the unit. I forgot to mark which brown wire the fused was attached to.

I am looking at the wiring diagram, pg 7 Atwood manual. It seems that it may make no difference which brown wire the fuse is attached to; but I want to make sure and thus the question.

Many Thanks!

HEMI (2002 Holiday Rambler Vacationer)
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hemi...
Even though it is 21* and dark outside right now... I will grab my camera... take a photo AND post it if you let me give you "Monaco Owners Forum" Karma!
(Just how crazy do you think MM is now!?)

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hemi...
I took four photos... it was dark..I have no idea what I was taking pics of... BUT if you GO TO THIS LINK...it will take you to the 4 photos. You can click on them to make them bigger...
OK... have to finish getting ready so I can go to my "money" job!

Hope this helps! ...and when you come back on... Just say... "Karma please...Mama"!

MM

Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #9

MM, many thanks....the fuse is attached to the right brown wire. Many thanks for taking the time to take the picture.

Say, you are parked near where I grew up, Albany, Oregon, yes, I am an Oregonian, grew up in Albany....left in 1966 after graduate school in Corvallis, OSU.

I supported myself through college working just north of you on 99E, working at the Thompson Mill (grain and flour) in Shedd...visit it, its now a historical site....then worked summers in Tangent, my grandfather's farm....

We usually get to OR every other year....a beautiful state...wish I could return but kids grew up on the east coast (NY and FL) and we don't wish to leave them.

Again, thanks, HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
HEMI...
I am glad I was able to help! It really was still dark out (before 7AM) and it really was 21 degrees out! ..so.. this means I can "Monaco Karma-ize" you now.. right!!?

MM