Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
HOT weather and only 30amps

We are in western Idaho and it has been over 100 every day, a couple of days close 107. The park we are at did not have 50amp for us when we came in. So we settled for 30amp.
We have DuoTherm with 5 button T-stat. Is there any to set it up to cycle between the units? It winds up getting very hot in the bedroom. Thanks.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMike View Post
We are in western Idaho and it has been over 100 every day, a couple of days close 107. The park we are at did not have 50amp for us when we came in. So we settled for 30amp.
We have DuoTherm with 5 button T-stat. Is there any to set it up to cycle between the units? It winds up getting very hot in the bedroom. Thanks.
I also have the 5 button, and I am going to say no to your question of cycling between the two automatically. You have to set it up for each zone, and on 30 amp.........is not going to work, suggest moving to some were that has 50 amp. for you to use. That might just be hard to do being the 4th of July............Gen set?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Kind of what I figured. I know I am surrounded by total MH geniuses on this forum and was hoping for a 'fix'.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is a fix if you are handy.

On my coach the AC are hardwired into a metal junction box. In the Bedroom the previous owner put a standard outlet and then put a standard plug on the wire going to the AC unit. This way you can run an extension cord into the bedroom window and up into the AC vent and plug the AC into the extension cord, provided you have a standard 15 amp outlet to plug the cord into.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

I would just partition off the back area of the coach that is not being used in the day time and run the front one on HIGH. Then at night do the same for the bedroom area and use fans to move the air around.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is there anyway to run the back on fan only? That would help circulating air in the back and maybe even allow it to pull in some cool air.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMike View Post

Too much coach, too much heat, too few amps.

Crank down the front temp early & keep the windshield blind down and also the night blinds on the sunny side of the coach. Some time after dark, switch to the bedroom air. Make sure to always keep the fans on high instead of auto.

Been there many times.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #8

My work around is as follows.

Change the refrigerator to run on propane.
Change the hot water heater to run on propane.
Take the wife's hair dryer away!
Never use the microwave
This leaves thirty amps to run the two air conditioners

Would rather be cool than save propane!!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Another way to keep cool.

We had the same problem in our 36' Dolphin so I installed a small 12volt overhead fan with 3 speeds it has a remote that you can control while in bed.
I connected the wires to the existing overhead light.
Being its in the middle of the bed I don't have to worry about hitting the fan with my head.
It sure feels good with the air blowing down on you when it hot.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Not knowing how yours is set up, we have a 2000 dynasty. The 2 A/C's are connected via a duct work that runs from the living room to the bedroom. They did this so that at night you could cool the bedroom off by just running the living room A/C with the living room vents closed and the bedroom vents open.

If your system is similar, maybe you can close/open certain vents to at least maximize the cooling effect while only using 1 A/C. Also keep the door between living room and bedroom closed.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I built one of these Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
We have used it a couple of times when there was no 50amp but two 30's were available. It also can be used with a 30 and a standard 20 (with an adapter on the 20 side) provided the 20 IS NOT a GFI circuit. That set up will instantly pop a GFI.

I believe two 30's may not work if they are both on the same phase. The last time we connected ours was in a state park with limited 50A sites. We settled for a 30 and found that in the pedestal there were two 30A plugs. I tried my cheater box and it worked great.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on Jim J's idea. We have 3 AC's and the only way to run them all in the summer-heat (even on 50A, with all the other electric devices in the coach) was to put one of them on a separate extension cord and run it to the power pedestal's 20A outlet. I'm sure the meter is spinning big-time, but at least we can keep it bearable inside.
You can access the AC's line either at the breaker box or at the AC itself by removing the overhead vent panel... just be safe.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #13

Also, if you have the ability to set your converter/charger for a lower draw rate, that will help. On our '06 Dynasty, when faced with the same situation, I set the charger at 5 amps max. If setting up camp with the batteries less than full, the charger can be the load that takes the 30A breaker over the top, with a couple of 12 to 14 amp AC's running.

If you're near Mt. Home, try Mt. Home RV Park on American Legion. If you're near Boise, try Hi Valley on the north-west edge of town. If you're near Nampa/Caldwell, try Ambassador RV Park. We're boiling in the same heat! Predicting 103 for today!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #14

I have an 03 Windsor that came new with a power managment system that when plugged into 30amp will run whats most important. For example, when the back area gets a certain temperture being to warm, the front air kicks off and goes to the back. If my uses the microwave, it will shut off something so the microwave works. I bought the motor home new and all these years it's never missed a beat. It's made by exantax (spelling incorrect)
56corvette is offline   Reply With Quote