RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hourly Labor Charges for Service

Something I haven't seen addressed on here before (unless I missed it) ).

Looking for some thoughts on what local labor rates are for work in dealer service departments -

I've got 2 dealerships that are a reasonable distance from my home. One is General RV in Huntley Illinois and the other is Camping World in Island Lake Illinois - General RV being the closest. Of course, there are other independent repair shops around but for some repair items, I'd feel more comfortable going thru a franchised dealer. Don't know why, I just do.

General RV has a 2 teer labor rate schedule....For customers that purchased their coach from them, the hourly rate is $125.00 per hr. For coaches not purchased from the, it's $195.00 per hr. Quite a difference.

Camping World has a multi-teer rate schedule which I wasn't able to figure out why and couldn't get a satisfactory ( in my opinion ) answer from them as to how it breaks down. Their base rate is $115.00 per hr.

What I failed to do however, is ask if their shops are union or not. I know that would make a difference just as if they used a 'manual' for their flat rate charges or whether it's all 'time & material'. - Some repairs would be actual repair time and other items would be flat rate as shown in some manual.

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject ??

FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #2

$195 hour is high .... I used Scott’s Truck and Auto out of Rockford and their rate was around $145 hour - But they are booking 3-5 weeks out .... As for Union or not, I have no clue!

BraveWrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The REV factory regional service centers are $140/hr and I thought THAT was high

but, it is what it is...

Whenever my work as a IT consultant got too busy, I could easily adjust my workload by raising prices - you know that supply and demand thing ACTUALLY works

and imho, CW at $50/hr would be too high !
Old 10-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use Barrington RV in Bartlett for service. I used CW in Island Lake in the past, but was not satisfied with the service. I didn't like their packaging of services. I felt that I was getting and paying for stuff I didn't need. Barrington "has a guy" that is expert in Monaco/HR. They seem honest and are responsive. The labor rates don't seem out of line, but nothing is cheap about owning an RV.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Not only is the hourly rate high, but many shops are charging a flat rate diagnostic fee, just to take a look-see. My Dentist charges less per hr than Rv shop, go figure.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

As an Open Shop Roofer in ChicagoLand Area we were getting $110-$119 Hour plus 15 Percent on materials, before I retired.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My local RV repair shop is $120/hr, but the shop I use for chassis work is $130.

I note on the comment on CW rates, that no one mentions that Good Sam members get 10% off on parts and labor.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

I cringe every time I have to take my rig in for repairs, it never fails I always find a new scratch or when I go to pick it up after it sat outdoors in their lot for two weeks (when it was scheduled to be out in 2 days) they forgot something on repair list or did not call when they found a recommended repair which would have saved another trip and sitting outdoors in not the best part of town. I would have sold my motorhome years ago if I had all repairs done by RV shops, seems there is always something that needs attention.
I complain about above shop but they do good work and so far have been very fair in billings, I have no idea what there charge rate is, guess I should check.

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We took our MH to CW when we were new owners. They damaged the ladder, and installed the Roadmaster aux brake in the car incorrectly, eventually damaging the car. Then they had the gall to say that none of that was their fault, even after the Roadmaster factory tech ID'd the problem. Then there are all the negative stories that we've heard about CW service over the past seven years. The story is much longer but suffice it to say: We will NEVER utilize CW's service again regardless of how much better the hourly rate might be.
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Scott's Truck and Auto in Rockford

Fluffyms,

I've been taking my Monaco Dynasty to these guys for mechanical service since I bought it. I believe their shop rate is around $110 (not $145), but to be sure you can call and ask Terry, the service manager.

I would also add that the quality of their mechanical service is superb. Right now Scott's is booking 3 weeks out, but in my estimation, they're worth the wait. You won't be disappointed.

Scott's Truck and Auto
3301 American Rd
Rockford, IL 61109
(815) 874-0800
thomaspryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #11

My local place is 100$ but I did purchase the coach from them.

Edit, just released this is s Monaco thread, ignore my post.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspryan View Post
Fluffyms,

I've been taking my Monaco Dynasty to these guys for mechanical service since I bought it. I believe their shop rate is around $110 (not $145), but to be sure you can call and ask Terry, the service manager.

I would also add that the quality of their mechanical service is superb. Right now Scott's is booking 3 weeks out, but in my estimation, they're worth the wait. You won't be disappointed.

Scott's Truck and Auto
3301 American Rd
Rockford, IL 61109
(815) 874-0800
Scott’s did Suspension Work on mine and as you said 3 weeks out and work was spot on. Shop / Business is super clean and organized and they seem to have the answers. One thing notable was all ambulances and other professional vehicles they Service in their lot. When you take your Coach to them no worries about leaving for a week or two.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It is definitely "pot luck" at CW sometimes you get a very good mechanic and yes sometimes you don't. I personally don't go there anymore.....I got a bad mechanic.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just had my head replaced in Sacramento, CA. Shop labor is $154.00 Per hour. Everything is more expensive in CA.

Tony49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service