Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
House Batteries Only Charging To 12.7 v

I have a 07 Signature with 4 AGM house batteries, 2 lead acid chassis batteries and a new 2800 pure sine wave Magnum inverter. I am not charging the chassis batteries from shore or gen. My house batteries never charge above 12.7 or 12.8 thus the Big Boy never gets enough voltage to join the two battery banks to charge the chassis batteries. Would be interested in trouble shooting ideas. All connections seem to be tight and good. All four Lifeline AGM batteries are about 6 months old and the two chassis batteries are about 4 months old. House batteries maintain the 12.7 / 12.8 charge but never charge above that voltage. The batteries have been equalized this past week. Where do I go next?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine was doing the same thing. I called Magnum. They suggested I change the BTS. (Battery Temp. Sensor).

After replacement batteries stay at 13.8/13.9Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1455073797.383983.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	118726

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
YC1

You can unplug the battery sensor cable and run without it for a test.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

12.6-12.7 is a 100% charge on a 12 volt battery. Just so there is no confusion here if your BIRD charging system took the chassis batteries up to 13.2 volts and then disconnected the charger from them then the chassis batteries would read 12.7 volts. The fact that they read 12.7 volts means that all is working correctly, if not they they would read a lower voltage. The best way to see what the chassis and house batteries are truly charged to is to disconnect shore power and no generator then let everything sit for about thirty minutes then read the battery voltage. You may want to do this at night so the solar panels are not raising the battery voltage.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another attempt to clear any confusion.
A battery that is fully charged and sitting on a table will read 12.7v if it has been sitting and has no loads on it.

Now if you attach a battery charger to it, you you should read about 13.8V because the charger is applying a "Float Charge". This float charge is enough to keep the batter fully charged, but not cause any electrolyte to boil off.

The Big Boy solenoid should NOT get energized unless the inverter is supplying the 13.8V float voltage. You don't want to connect the chassis and house batteries together unless the controller sees that there is a voltage high enough to indicate it is charging.

So if you are expecting to have your chassis batteries recieve a charge, you need to see the 13.8V on the house batteries....

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

The BIRD and the BIG BOY switch from charging the house batteries to additionally charging the chassis batteries when the house batteries reach 13.2 volts on these motor homes. When the combined batteries reach 13.2 volts again the Big Boy switches off charging the chassis batteries
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #7

Are we missing the point that the House batteries never go above 12.7 volts, with the charger on.

This has nothing to do with BIRD, IRD, BIG BOY or any other combiner.

Unplug the temp. sensor and check the voltage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

No the point is that when the voltage was measured at 12.7 volts the status of the Big Boy was unknown. If it is 12.7 volts with the Big Boy open then all is normal. If the batteries always read 12.7 then most likely all is ok and that is why I asked him to measure the voltage with everything disconnected so one gets the true battery voltage and not the charger voltage.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
How long can you run unplugged?

What is the downside?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Patton View Post
I have a 07 Signature with 4 AGM house batteries, 2 lead acid chassis batteries and a new 2800 pure sine wave Magnum inverter. I am not charging the chassis batteries from shore or gen. My house batteries never charge above 12.7 or 12.8 thus the Big Boy never gets enough voltage to join the two battery banks to charge the chassis batteries. Would be interested in trouble shooting ideas. All connections seem to be tight and good. All four Lifeline AGM batteries are about 6 months old and the two chassis batteries are about 4 months old. House batteries maintain the 12.7 / 12.8 charge but never charge above that voltage. The batteries have been equalized this past week. Where do I go next?
Doug, I just went through exactly the same thing. My chassis batteries were not getting charged because the voltage was too low for the BIRD to activate the solenoid. Both Magnum and a few folks here confirmed this. You can simply unplug the BTS from the inverter and it will begin charging correctly. That will give you time to sort out the BTS issue.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gopher View Post
How long can you run unplugged?

What is the downside?
The downside is cronicly undercharged batteries.

Lifeline states,

For a battery at room temperature, it can be considered fully charged with the charging current falls below 0.5A per 100Ah of rated capacity. The open circuit voltage (after at least 4 hours of rest) will be 2.17 volts per cell or higher (13.0 volts for a 12-volt battery), regardless of the battery temperature.

12.7 volts is not 100% charged and a killer of AGM batteries.

You will never get to 13 volts pushing 12.7 into them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So it sounds like his inverter is programmed wrong, or broken.

I did not think the temp sensor came into play during float charge.....need to read up onthis.

Dan
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
So it sounds like his inverter is programmed wrong, or broken.

I did not think the temp sensor came into play during float charge.....need to read up onthis.

Dan
As described by a Magnum technician. If the BTS is busted (like mine), it will sense an open circuit and the charger thinks it is boiling the batteries. It then reduces the charge to 12.7V. As soon as I unplugged the BTS, the charger immediated went to ABSORB at 14.4V, then later reduced to FLOAT at 13.3V.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
BTS is new. I tried unplugging it and still do not get the required 13.2 v to the Big Boy on either side.
Thanks
Doug

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries