Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
house battery recommendations

Hi all, looks like i ned to replace my 4 6volt house batteries again. I just replaced them 2 years ago, They got run down over the winter and froze. They were a flooded cell.
I looking for the highest amp hr, 6 volt batteries i can find. I have been thinking going to a AGM battery as they dont freeze

what do you all use?
heavyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

They're expensive but I've had the best luck with Lifeline Batteries
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Trojan T125 will give you the most amperage for your buck. Once you start talking AGM with any battery it get more expensive.
TechNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler View Post
Hi all, looks like i ned to replace my 4 6volt house batteries again. I just replaced them 2 years ago, They got run down over the winter and froze. They were a flooded cell.
I looking for the highest amp hr, 6 volt batteries i can find. I have been thinking going to a AGM battery as they dont freeze

what do you all use?
Take a look at this: Markets | Trojan Battery Company
If you have the space, and the budget, the J-305 is about 50% more power per battery than the typical 6V golf cart battery. The L16 is even denser. I'll probably buy the J305's when I have to replace mine.

Cheers,
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Lightbulb

do you know the L16's have a 8 year warrentee???

the '09 I just bought had AGM's 2015 vintage, toast!

the best reasonable priced Trojan is the T-105 RE, look them up, I just installed 8
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree, Lifeline are the very best. but they were just so expensive.
I went with Trojan T-105 6v golf cart batteries again. They are made in the USA and I am averaging 8-10 years on each set I've owned. I found a dealer on eBay that shipped them up here for under $120 each.

I think I'll avoid Interstate batteries from now on. Costco is carrying Interstates 6v batteries and they were only $79 each, but I just have not had good luck with them since they moved manufacturing to Mexico.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 AM   #7

You can get more AH capacity from some flooded cell batteries then AGM, of the same size.

Although AGM batteries don't freeze, they will still fail, if left discharged in storage.

With any battery, they need to be stored fully charged and checked and recharged, every few months.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
After having gone through an exhaustive process of evaluating various batteries several times (boat and RV), I've decided that for me, flooded cell golf cart batteries offer the best combination of cost/capacity/longevity. From what I can tell, the other battery technologies are very sensitive to voltages and may fail early if consistently under-charged. So unless they are operated in 'ideal' conditions, the effective life span is no better then flooded cell, but the up-front cost is much higher.
If the batteries are kept charged, they won't freeze, right?
Last time for the boat (10 yr ago) I got Trojan T105 and have been really pleased with them.
A few weeks ago, I found Crown CR-260 batteries for the MH at a local golf cart supply for $100 each. These are very similar to the Trojan T105, but about 3/4" taller and 260AH capacity.
This is my first experience with Crown, but from what I can tell, Crown, Trojan and US Battery are all highly respected in the golf cart business and are pretty much equivalent in quality.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I got 10 yrs out of my last set of Trojan T-105s and I took very good care of them, as maintenance is the key to longitivity.

My latest coach takes 8, which were shot when I bought it. I decided on 8 Energizer GC2s from Sam's Club.... $82 ea. Since I'm full time, they should last quite awhile.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently installed six GC2 wet batteries from Costco. Replacing the OEM standard GC2 batteries. Previous coaches I have used T105's. Received/receiving good service from all. .
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the needs of AGM battery charging and see if your converter/charger could do the job, many chargers can't.

Next winter, if you can't leave RV plugged in, disconnect a cable on each battery group and it will probably last the winter. I've left fully charged batteries physically disconnected for up to 5 months through Ohio winters with no issue, battery level still at better than 12.4 v after reconnecting.

If plugging full time worries you about over-charging, then put the shore cord on a timer and only turn on for an hour or less per day.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery