Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
House Battery Replacement

I'm looking to replace my house batteries (6 V wet cell) with AGM's. I emailed Monaco asking what model battery did they use and the reply I got stated it was a 12 V battery. Since I have 8 house batteries do I get 8 AGM's or a different number?

Any body have a Signature with the factory AGM's? If so, how many did your coach come with?

I also looked at my inverter's set up and I see the wet cell setting, but it has 2 AGM settings...AGM 1 and AGM 2. What would be the difference?
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

Charles,
Since you have 8 batteries already, you would replace with 8 AGMs. The # of batts coming from the factory depend upon the options installed. With a residential fridge, you would normally get 8. Make sure the new batts are physically the same size (depending on how much room they gave you)
What inverter do you have?? Magnum 2812 or 2 separate ones.?
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this again. The major advantage of MOST AGM's is low maintenance requirement. IF maintenance access is not an issue, I would (And will) stick with flooded wet cells. The second advantage is low gasing.. If your batteries are NOT properly vented, then AGM may be your only option.

The reason by the way is simply cost. Flooded wet cells are a fraction of the cost of a comparible AGM.

Now, to your question AGM-1 or AGM-2.

You will need to read the owner's manual for your inverter and see what the current and voltage limits are for the two settings

Then read the product info on the AGM battery maker's web page (Whatever battery you choose) and pick the setting that best matches what they say there.

Alas Setting 1 and Setting 2, means nothing to me without the manual for your batteries in hand

I can give you some generic info.. This is from teh Xantrex Prosine 2.0 manual for the most part.

The Prosine asks you to specify the capacity of the battery (20 hour amp hour rate) and the Generic AGM setting sets the max charge rate at 30% of that figure (If, that is, it can.. The Prosine only does 100 amps peak)

LIFELINE, as I recall from visiting their web site, Recommends 30% as the MINIMUM initial charge rate (up to 300% as the maximum)

Lifeline is the only battery I've seen recommending that fast a charge

Which is why I say you need to know what the settings mean in terms of voltages and current,, and what the battery maker suggests

one final comment.. From the inverter's point of view, it don't matter if you put 12 volt batteries in parallel, or pair up six volt in series and put the pairs in parallel

IT's all one big 12 volt battery far as the inverter/converter is concerned.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
Charles,
Since you have 8 batteries already, you would replace with 8 AGMs. The # of batts coming from the factory depend upon the options installed. With a residential fridge, you would normally get 8. Make sure the new batts are physically the same size (depending on how much room they gave you)
What inverter do you have?? Magnum 2812 or 2 separate ones.?
This is what I was thinking, however, Monaco used (4) 12 volt AGM's in their AGM battery upgrades. The 12 volt AGM's are almost twice the physical size as the 6 volt wet cells. What I wanted to know was if I used (8) 6 volt AGM's that were the same physical size as my wet cell batteries would it cause me any problems or would it give me any benefits. Bob at Monaco came back and stated that the 6 volt AGM set up that I am looking to do would almost double my amp hours vs the wet cells I now have...This may be a worth while up grade after all.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What BRAND Of AGM's did Monaco Use?>
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #6

Monaco uses Lifeline AGM batteries
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Mike, I think That's what I'm Going with!.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
One More battery Question.

I wii be replacing My Interstate Batteries with AGM's. I Have Three Compartments, 1 For Starting Batteries & Two For Coach. I have Electric residential Fridge.
My Question, One Compartment For Coach batteries Has 4 - 6Volt Batteries With Heigth Of 13' Where I can Use battery with 300 Amp Hrs, In The Other Compartment containing 4 - 6 volts as well, I do not have the Height to use the same Battery, Can I Replace These 4 with Same Brand battery But Smaller Size with 232 Amps?.
Is This Ok too do?.