Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How are roof antennas routed on 2005 Monaco-Beaver?

I have two antennas on the roof. One was missing the mast, the other looks like a typical AM/FM radio antenna.

First, my (factory installed) CB is not working - I just get static. So I assumed the "missing mast" was for the CB, I bought and installed a new CB antenna on the existing ball mount. However the CB still does not appear to be getting reception.

Second, my AM/FM radio is not getting any reception. I never tested it when I bought the coach so I don't know if it ever worked (I assumed it did at one time). But the previous owner may have disconnected, or rerouted these as there is a lot of cable routing going on behind the AVR (both TVs upgraded, etc.).

Now I'm trying to determine which antenna goes to what - and where the antenna coax cable running (does it come down the front A-pillar?). If I can find the cables I can test them or at least see what they connect to. I'm also trying to spot them under the dash and see which direction they go but that's not an easy task either. There is a lot of stuff under there and not much room to look.

Does anyone know how Monaco-Beaver routed these cables? Should I be able to find them in one of the overhead compartments?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Probably the easiest thing to do is use a multimeter. Attach a long wire to one of the antenna ends on the roof and drop it down through the door. Use the multimeter ohm and see which antenna this is by removing the antenna from radio and CB and see which one ohms to "0" which indicates continuity.

I have a Cobra CB hand mic type, When I first bought our coach it didn't work so I replaced. Never got good reception, pretty much static with an occasional sound of a voice in the back ground. The weather band works fine and gets reports with quality of sound good. I finally did some research and found that any CB antenna has to be tuned using a SW meter. I bought a new "better" antenna and spent a day tuning the antenna, never could get it to the best readings and compromised. The results were only slightly better. Next step would be to take to a good CB shop and let them try and fix but I'm not going dump more $$ into something I seldom use.

On the radio there may be a fuse in the back that came uncoupled, the radio would still come on but no sound. Found the problem and taped the ends together.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

If you key the mic. without an antenna, you will probably blow the finals on the unit.
Which would cost more to replace than the CB is worth.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Since you seem to have a very complicated problem, why not invest in a cable tracer. Should help sort things out .

https://www.google.com/search?q=cabl...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On the roof, I can't actually get to the coax cable unless I remove the base (which is bolted and sealed with Dicor to the roof). If I remove the mast only, I'm left with the ball mount. Can I test the cable at the ball mount?

You are correct, that the CB is not worth too much effort to fix. I probably won't be using it. But if it is just a simple cable fix, I would be willing to try. The CB is the "all controls in the mic" style like you noted (Cobra).

The FM radio is part of the Kenwood KVT-M700 (OEM) in-dash swing-out monitor (controls CD changer, back up cameras, views Aladdin system, etc). The monitor works fine for CD changer and cameras. I think the antenna is not connected (or its broken) - but I can't really see the connection point.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advise.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The big problem with most of those antennas is lack of ground plane. Our radio doesn't get very good reception at all.
Though I have yet to try it, connect a long wire to the base of the antenna, run it to a good ground on the frame. See it reception improves. If it does, the ground at the antenna is not good. Then the problem of how to fix it? It might help you in your search though.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the Cobra handheld CB and installed also. I found the antenna lead in the panel under the driver side console. It does work but only at very close range. If we have someone traveling with us and they are very close we can communicate but we usually just use the cell phone.
I probably wont spend much either to improve the range since we just don't use it much at all. I suppose if you did not have cell reception it could come in handy.

Our radio works fine but I would like to upgrade to a newer unit some day.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
On my 07 diplomat the cables travel forward along the roof line and then turn towards the drivers side staying above all the wood cabinets. They are then routed down the drivers side A pillar and across the dash to their locations. The cb. cable just barely reaches the the accelerator pedal area. and the radio has 5' of extra cable they are zip tied into the heart of the wiring beast under the dash and very difficult to follow or spot.. I spent hours following and locating and then labeling the ones that wern't labeled.. The drivers side pillar is actually very easy to remove and install and following the wires there was very simple.. I installed a truckers cb. antenna made for fiberglass ground planes on the outside of the drivers A pillar and get great reception..
Tying in the dash radio to the speakers system the way Monaco originally designed is a real pain with the newer style radios .. I am still contemplating changing the way mine is wired.
hope this helps. Doug.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Used to be a big CB-er back in the day. But between the crowded band and all the 4-letter words (and some I don't even know ) I kinda prefer to listen to the windshield wind-noise now.

You almost have to throw the mic at someone to get noticed these days.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, beaver, monaco, roof