Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just to let know how to remove the floor engine cover panels which you don't have to for what your doing, the panel in front of the closet is held in place with four screws that can be taken loose with a large flat blade screw driver. The cover in the closet is also held with four of the same screws, but the carpet has to be peeled back to access the rear most screws and the other two screws are under the sliding closet door bottom track, so the road side glass door and the bottom track along with the wood track mounting board must be removed. It's a lot of work but you do not have to do it this time.
As you remember we have the same coach as you.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Just to let know how to remove the floor engine cover panels which you don't have to for what your doing, the panel in front of the closet is held in place with four screws that can be taken loose with a large flat blade screw driver. The cover in the closet is also held with four of the same screws, but the carpet has to be peeled back to access the rear most screws and the other two screws are under the sliding closet door bottom track, so the road side glass door and the bottom track along with the wood track mounting board must be removed. It's a lot of work but you do not have to do it this time.
As you remember we have the same coach as you.
Thanks drifter. That exactly explains our layout. I will simply buy a longer tube for this particular project, but I appreciate the info for the future. Seems like all these screws are under the carpet in our coach (we did have carpet changed in the back when we first moved in so i think they got covered). Sure is helpful to know someone with the same coach
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Or, instead of changing all the oil out based on time you can do an oil analysis. Much cheaper and keeps the warranty valid. That's what we're doing. Filters still need to be changed based on time, but the interval for oil change can be extended based on yearly analysis.
I would change that oil instead of doing oil analysis and trying to determine if oil change is needed. Not sure who covers tranny warranty...Monaco or Allison or extended warranty guys.

Oil Analysis is used by fleets to save on money. Fleets are running 24x7. It is really not meant for RV type usage. By the time you do oil analysis and get your results, you may have already caused issues in the tranny.

Since you don't drive much so you may be accumulating moisture amongst other issues. The filter change is not going to stop moisture. This will give rise to issues such as rust in internal bearings. If your gear discs overheat it will get warped. I have seen this happen. Now you lost a tranny that will cost $8k on rebuilt and god knows how much a new.....your extended warranty (if you have one) may be declined. Don't skimp on oil change.

A simple transynd oil change on my Allison 4000 cost me in parts $300 along with filters. That is less than $10/month.
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymann View Post
I would change that oil instead of doing oil analysis and trying to determine if oil change is needed. Not sure who covers tranny warranty...Monaco or Allison or extended warranty guys.

Oil Analysis is used by fleets to save on money. Fleets are running 24x7. It is really not meant for RV type usage. By the time you do oil analysis and get your results, you may have already caused issues in the tranny.

Since you don't drive much so you may be accumulating moisture amongst other issues. The filter change is not going to stop moisture. This will give rise to issues such as rust in internal bearings. If your gear discs overheat it will get warped. I have seen this happen. Now you lost a tranny that will cost $8k on rebuilt and god knows how much a new.....your extended warranty (if you have one) may be declined. Don't skimp on oil change.

A simple transynd oil change on my Allison 4000 cost me in parts $300 along with filters. That is less than $10/month.
Caymann why not do a oil analysis don't you think it will show water or moisture, in all the years i have had a Allison I have never had a moisture problem in the fluid. I would do the $35 oil analysis before I did the $300 fluid change and in your case with the Allison 4000 you are talking a lot more cash as your Allison takes at least 8 gal for a change. It is just a smart move to do the fluid analysis.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post

Caymann why not do a oil analysis don't you think it will show water or moisture, in all the years i have had a Allison I have never had a moisture problem in the fluid. I would do the $35 oil analysis before I did the $300 fluid change and in your case with the Allison 4000 you are talking a lot more cash as your Allison takes at least 8 gal for a change. It is just a smart move to do the fluid analysis.
I concur with the fluid analysis. My fluid & filters came up on 3 years last fall. I pulled a fluid sample & sent for analysis. I used J G Lube Services but Blackstone is good also. Tom Johnson has been so helpful over on the Allison forum that I wanted to give his company the business. The analysis came back pristine so I changed the filters & topped up with Transynd and will test fluid again this winter. I will continue to change the filters at 3 year intervals and change the fluid when the analysis indicates. My 4000 is long out of warranty but this procedure meets Allison's recommendations.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
My 06 windsor doesn't have a dip stick. I can only check the level by the allison key pad

bill h
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

I concur with the fluid analysis. My fluid & filters came up on 3 years last fall. I pulled a fluid sample & sent for analysis. I used J G Lube Services but Blackstone is good also. Tom Johnson has been so helpful over on the Allison forum that I wanted to give his company the business. The analysis came back pristine so I changed the filters & topped up with Transynd and will test fluid again this winter. I will continue to change the filters at 3 year intervals and change the fluid when the analysis indicates. My 4000 is long out of warranty but this procedure meets Allison's recommendations.
Exactly why we chose this route too. I've really enjoyed Tom's postings and support. In fact without his information and expertise I would never even have known about fluid testing and what a valuable tool it is. We bought from JG Lube as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
My 06 windsor doesn't have a dip stick. I can only check the level by the allison key pad

bill h
Yup, we found the same to be true on our HR Endeavor. we've used the key pad for all our checking in the past but I "thought" there was also a dipstick. Not so. Only easy exterior access is the fill tube at the back of the coach.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Hi Walt

I agree, it is wise to do a fluid analysis. The analysis tells you what has already gone wrong. There is not much one can do, if something has already gone wrong. However this is no reason to substitute changing the fluid in time.

Unfortunately most people here do fluid analysis to avoid changing that oil.
The basic reason is simply the almighty $$$ (or maybe they are activity challenged or maybe they are not near a tranny shop). However, some do the analysis and still change the oil.....very smart move!

So it is a matter of few hundred $$ every 4 yrs vs a $$$$$ transmission and not sure what else does it take down....your vacation, lifestyle, house on wheels etc...

For kicks, i called up Allison tech support line (317-242-5000). I quote Allsion tech support ...."moisture will get into the transmission through the bleeder valve, causing rust/corrosion. This will generate more heat inside the transmission thereby warping the rotating discs (C clutches) and kill it in time. Please change oil every 48 months for MH type use"). So it's your money and you take your chances.

The OP says they travels around 5000mile/yr....this indicates, mostly sitting in one place and giving moisture a chance to do its work.

If i can't do a $300 tranny oil + filter change every 4 yrs, i have to rethink this RV idea. This is what costs me for a MH4000. The MH3000 oil change costs slightly less. This works out $6.25/month. I will skip on that steak dinner once a month This keep my heart healthy and my transmission healthy too.

Bottomline, i don't believe in skipping tranny (or any fluid) oil change, even if oil analysis is done. At $6.25 a month this is no brainer.

jim
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
By the way, here is a link which may be helpful for your Endeavor.

http://holidayrambler.com/StaticFile...20Endeavor.pdf
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #53

To engineer any coach with the limited access to the most important mechanical device (engine) is nothing other than a lack of logic. If one wanted to periodically inspect the wiring, look for leaks from gaskets on top of the engine, etc and have to go thru the procedures that have been described on this thread, I would be very upset. Sorry for getting off topic.
average one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #54

Average,

The power units in our motorhomes are very reliable and seldom require anything but a occasional oil change. The additional cost of construction to make access to them easy would be reflected in a higher selling price for a feature that would be of little practical benefit over the life of the coach.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by average one View Post
To engineer any coach with the limited access to the most important mechanical device (engine) is nothing other than a lack of logic. If one wanted to periodically inspect the wiring, look for leaks from gaskets on top of the engine, etc and have to go thru the procedures that have been described on this thread, I would be very upset. Sorry for getting off topic.
Looks like a troll to me.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine

Looks like a troll to me.

Bob
I have not read the whole thread - but based on the quote - I agree.

I always check for leaks on the ground first. Other than that - routine / scheduled maintenance - everything tip top. If it weren't, some bell, whistle, chime, or light is going to shut you down before anything serious happens. That is one thing these red and yellow beasts do quite well.

And how bout those tires, wheels, brakes, etc. Who thought to put them under all that weight so I can't just pull them off in my driveway with a bumper jack.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote