Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How do i test fat boy solenoid? Pic is attached?

All,

I'm not sure if this solenoid is working anymore. Any ideas on how to test it? I see it is rated at 21 Ohms so is it as simple as hooking up a meter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1873957472.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	58125  
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I changed mine when my batteries charged slowly. It's $63 and mine was 10. Years old so I just changed it.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I changed mine when my batteries charged slowly. It's $63 and mine was 10. Years old so I just changed it.
Thanks. Which one did you buy? I see a Trombetta that folks keep taking about...
Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

Buy the Trombretta it is better made. The 21 ohms is through the electromagnetic coil section which energizes the solenoid. The other part is the contacts within the solenoid which joins or disconnects the two large terminals ontop. Most of the time those get pitted from arcing and sparking and that is most likely what has happened to yours.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Buy the Trombretta it is better made. The 21 ohms is through the electromagnetic coil section which energizes the solenoid. The other part is the contacts within the solenoid which joins or disconnects the two large terminals ontop. Most of the time those get pitted from arcing and sparking and that is most likely what has happened to yours.
Thanks Mike. Will do.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A ex-Monaco tech at Elite Repair & Remodel tested mine with a voltmeter. When the solenoid is off, the voltage is different on the two large terminals. If the solenoid is on, the voltage should be exactly the same. If it isn't, the solenoid is toast. Mine was bad and needed replacement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Is that an indication that the fat boy is going bad, when the batteries take longer to charge? I have noticed that once and a while I need to run the Onan for a while going down the road till the batteries get back up to 13 V so the inverter will work.
promine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The inverter charged your house batteries. The big boy solenoid closes and charges the chassis batteries. So if you are on shore power and your chassis batteries don't fully charge fairly quickly I'd change the big boy. I replaced it with the Trombretta solenoid. Make sure you get 200 amp with silver contacts.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Can't you test by simply hitting the Battery Boost switch (or whatever your coach has to tie the house and coach batteries together) and watch the voltage on one set of batteries go up?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The inverter charged your house batteries. The big boy solenoid closes and charges the chassis batteries. So if you are on shore power and your chassis batteries don't fully charge fairly quickly I'd change the big boy. I replaced it with the Trombretta solenoid. Make sure you get 200 amp with silver contacts.
I didn't think that the chassis batteries are supposed to be barged when the coach is on shore power. That is why I purchased the Xantrex Echo Charger, or at least I thought. Isn't the fat boy solenoid used simply to tie the coach and chassis batteries together for emergencies when you may need to jump from one to another using the rocker switch???
Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, charged, not barged.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The echo charger charges the chassis batteries while on shore power from the house batteries and inverter. That means you have an IRD system.
When you are driving your alternator charges your chassis batteries. When the voltage on your chassis batteries reaches 13.5 volts the IRD closes the big boy relay and keeps it closed and charges your house batteries while traveling also.
The big boy also activates when you push the aux power switch.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
I didn't think that the chassis batteries are supposed to be barged when the coach is on shore power. That is why I purchased the Xantrex Echo Charger, or at least I thought. Isn't the fat boy solenoid used simply to tie the coach and chassis batteries together for emergencies when you may need to jump from one to another using the rocker switch???
Our coach has a BIRD-2 relay that controls the Big Boy. From the BIRD-2 manual:

"The BIRD (BIDIRECTIONAL ISOLATOR RELAY DELAY) performs two important functions. It provides a method of charging the coach battery from the engine alternator and charges the chassis battery from the converter when the coach is plugged into shore power."

In other words, both sets of batteries get charged from both sources.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
Our coach has a BIRD-2 relay that controls the Big Boy. From the BIRD-2 manual:

"The BIRD (BIDIRECTIONAL ISOLATOR RELAY DELAY) performs two important functions. It provides a method of charging the coach battery from the engine alternator and charges the chassis battery from the converter when the coach is plugged into shore power."

In other words, both sets of batteries get charged from both sources.
when everything is working correctly ....