Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Torpedo level. On tile floor towards front of RV. Again on time floor nearer rear of RV (checking for twist).

Close enough counts, doesn't have to be perfect...

Same here. I dump the air and then I do a bathroom door swing check. If it's ok I'm fine (no jacks). Otherwise I do the torpedo level (lengthwise/widthwise) in 2 locations. I don't use auto-level. Manual level and then a walk around to see if everything looks good.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tommy, great picture. Retired?

In answer to your question I've used a carpenter's level but it was too cumbersome; used an 18" level which worked okay but found that different spots in the unit the level fluctuated - they just aren't built the way they should be; used a small torpedo level and found that placing it on the bottom of the fridge gave me the best reading. NOW I use the Spirit Level app which is free. I place my phone on the floor beside my seat when leveling and check it with the auto leveling in the DP. So far works pretty good but still find counters and such are not always level. If I level with them I find that the unit is out of level a little.

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 05-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #31

Been using a bubble level app on my smartphone for years, not just for the motorhome but for work. The one I use is by pixel prose and it seems pretty accurate.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used my android phone and level app. Also carry a level, but here's a funny one that works well. Out bathroom door is hinged and is very easily moved on the hinges. I use the auto-level feature and can fine tune by watching the open (swinging) door movements.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #33

Thanks - yes, retired. 25 years combined active and reserve, then ten years as a TAC Officer at The Citadel (where this photo was taken).
Best regards,
TH
Old 05-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
How do you check your level after operating the automatic leveling? I have a small level that I place on the floor in a few places, but this is not very accurate, since the floor is not entirely even. I would like to hear how you do it.
Thanks!
I have an app on my old iPhone that is a level. I lay the phone on a flat tile beside the driver seat to check the level. We level the coach first by using the green lights on the leveling panel then we slide out the slides. I then check with the phone level app and adjust using manual mode on the leveling panel. The kitchen counter is also a good place to use a bubble level but it is too far away from the controls to be of use other than to see if it is level after all is settled.
lowellhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmholt View Post
You could use stick-on levels like these: https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-8525-...s%2C140&sr=8-2

You would need to make sure your motorhome was completely level, perhaps using a large level while in a parking lot. Then put one on the driver's side wall and one on the dash or cabinet above the dash. That way you can see both of them from the driver's seat.

We have stick on levels that we use but, interestingly, the levels curve the opposite direction. I wonder what the difference is?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	247355
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #36

As was noted earlier, a bullseye level in the freezer. We've been doing that for >30 years. The absorption fridge is what wants to be level, so we use that.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We have stick on levels that we use but, interestingly, the levels curve the opposite direction. I wonder what the difference is?Attachment 247355
Your level(s) have a "ball" in them that rides to the bottom of the curve. The others have a bubble that rises to the top of the curve.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
How do you check your level after operating the automatic leveling? I have a small level that I place on the floor in a few places, but this is not very accurate, since the floor is not entirely even. I would like to hear how you do it.
Thanks!
Camco EZ level.
B646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #39

Our MH has built in levels on a side wall (above the refrigerator) and a lateral wall (above the bedroom door).

Once the auto levelling is done, we check those levels and adjust accordingly.

We have noticed that once all the slides are out we usually have to adjust for the side which has 2 slides (we have 3 total). When that happens we also notice our bedroom door does not stay partially open.

After a few days, we frequently have to adjust the side with the 2 slides. Sometimes we don't have to do that.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #40

If the water drains completely in the shower, it's perfect. After I autolevel, I usually push the front up an inch or 2. I need to learn how to fix it so it auto levels to where I like it.

2018 Grand Design Solitude 375 RES with a Ford F350 6.0 diesel.
Dadsterkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #41

Commercial Member

If you don't have a "residential" refrigerator but an absorption fridge, you probably have heard that the fridge needs to be level. Some say half a bubble, some say as long as you "feel" ok in the RV but as an engineer I prefer numbers.

There are apps available for checking level with your smartphone. For my Android phone, I use "Bubble Level Galaxy" but there are many similar apps.

The actual measurement is: Front to Back of the RV needs to be less than 6° out of level and side to side of the RV needs to be within 3° of level according to Refrig mfg. Closer to 0°-0° is best but you can be off a bit but now you know exactly how much off is too much for the efficient operation of your fridge.

Just be sure you check the 0° level of your phone. You can do this by placing your phone on a relatively level surface, take the readings and rotate the phone 180° take the readings to be sure come out just the opposite if the test surface is not perfectly level and giving 0° reading. Some apps let you place the phone on a perfectly level surface and hit a "calibrate" button
Old 06-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #42

Ditto bathroom door.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote